ATV Quad bikes

This was discussed recently ... but I can't find where...

Yes, you can rent them, as part of a tour officially on the back roads, atop of Samui!..... but not supposed to be used on the main roads... although sometimes seen...

Only place that comes to mind is way atop of Soi 5 Maenam, long steep road up there! Go to top and turn left about 50 meters on left.....

There are no doubt other places around too, but I cannot tell you where

Anyone?

watch out for guys on red motor bikes, right Neilly!?whistling.gif

samui%252520back%252520roads-9.jpg

And for Green ones...dragonstouch_whistle.gif

What cc is this red one. Was it tour or just rent.

I want rent one around new year but not tour.

How much is it. 1k per day?

Thanks a lot

Sent from my SM-A800F using Tapatalk

It's my own and it's a Honda CRF250L (The Kwak is a KLX250).

There are a few shops that rent them in the Chaweng area, but some will sting you if you drop it...no idea on the price especially over the New Year period...but should be less than 1k/day I would have thought

And for Green ones...dragonstouch_whistle.gif

What cc is this red one. Was it tour or just rent.

I want rent one around new year but not tour.

How much is it. 1k per day?

Thanks a lot

It's my own and it's a Honda CRF250L (The Kwak is a KLX250).

There are a few shops that rent them in the Chaweng area, but some will sting you if you drop it...no idea on the price especially over the New Year period...but should be less than 1k/day I would have thought

Thx.

Ok will see when I get there.

Btw.

What trial u recommend.

Too many post quotes to reply to post 8 ... Beefslapper! so here goes my view point~!

It's probably going to depend on the weather a little and what conditions are like, I actually prefer when not dry but a little damp for less chance of skidding...on the sand... Another thing it is quite a few degrees cooler up top, take a jacket!

Many roads all meet up across the top of the island, so you can go say from Maenam, Soi 2, 3, 4 or 5 (Soi 4 meets up with Soi 5, or go past Santiburi golf course, soi 7 I think..... All meet up with the "backbone road" across the top....depending on turn off one takes you can end up in Nathon, Lamai, Hau Thanon, Lipa Noi, Some sections are quite steep... As far as I know there are no roads up from the Chawang area....

One needs to be aware of the Safari trucks, as well as the ATV's ... Lamai Big Buddha temple is a good look out point and a restaurant too....... Except for Soi 1 from Maenam to Lamai which is cement all the way.... ring road to ring road...

But there is little in the way of any signposts... sometimes you end up at a farm.... no big deal, you turn around and try again ... (locals will laugh ...another lost farang!!! tongue.png ) usually it's fairly obvious which are more used roads going somewhere...

Some nice views from some points! I would suggest going with a "buddy"... rather than alone! Be off the back roads before dark!

Neilly and I have done all these roads, he won't take me anymore as I stop too often to take photos and my PCX is too slow .... laugh.pngfacepalm.gif

Can you add anything Neilly? wink.png

Illegal for road use so no insurance, stay away unless riding/driving with a tour group off-road as samuijimmy mentioned.

right ! (i bought one last year)

also off road : be carefull if you're not alone on the saddle : the atv are not designed for ... Not expect to have fun thus (bends , speedings and riding a bit "crazy" )

Too many post quotes to reply to post 8 ... Beefslapper! so here goes my view point~!

It's probably going to depend on the weather a little and what conditions are like, I actually prefer when not dry but a little damp for less chance of skidding...on the sand... Another thing it is quite a few degrees cooler up top, take a jacket!

Many roads all meet up across the top of the island, so you can go say from Maenam, Soi 2, 3, 4 or 5 (Soi 4 meets up with Soi 5, or go past Santiburi golf course, soi 7 I think..... All meet up with the "backbone road" across the top....depending on turn off one takes you can end up in Nathon, Lamai, Hau Thanon, Lipa Noi, Some sections are quite steep... As far as I know there are no roads up from the Chawang area....

One needs to be aware of the Safari trucks, as well as the ATV's ... Lamai Big Buddha temple is a good look out point and a restaurant too....... Except for Soi 1 from Maenam to Lamai which is cement all the way.... ring road to ring road...

But there is little in the way of any signposts... sometimes you end up at a farm.... no big deal, you turn around and try again ... (locals will laugh ...another lost farang!!! tongue.png ) usually it's fairly obvious which are more used roads going somewhere...

Some nice views from some points! I would suggest going with a "buddy"... rather than alone! Be off the back roads before dark!

Neilly and I have done all these roads, he won't take me anymore as I stop too often to take photos and my PCX is too slow .... laugh.pngfacepalm.gif

Much appreciated

Thx

These machines should be banned on public roads. They and their riders are a danger. No number plate, no tax, no insurance.

Dunno here but in europe you can buy them road legal.

And they banned already. People just dont care and drive.

Mate thats sounds like fun.

Thank you for proper info.

Do they rent dirt bikes with more then 250cc ?

Thanks Beefslapper thumbsup.gif ....

To be honest I don't know about renting, but Poorsucker I think it was gave a link above ^(can't find right now) .... Some shops you'll see around the island, I think have.... But most rental places only have Honda Clicks and the like...... they will do OK on these roads,... I have done it with various people on smaller bikes , without problems.... but very slow going on smaller bikes .... not that one wants to be Speeding on some sections! wink.png

After rains there can be some large ruts in the roads which can be difficult to navigate. They do not grade the roads up there very often!

As for ATV's they are not legal on the main roads, one sees them occasionally but it is not common....

Some examples of what to expect!

IMG_4110.JPG

He's stuck! But one always get moving again!

IMG_4130.JPG

Just to add this may not be the worst conditions anyone will see! .... it's not something for the "faint of heart"

Thanks Beefslapper thumbsup.gif ....

To be honest I don't know about renting, but Poorsucker I think it was gave a link above ^(can't find right now) .... Some shops you'll see around the island, I think have.... But most rental places only have Honda Clicks and the like...... they will do OK on these roads,... I have done it with various people on smaller bikes , without problems.... but very slow going on smaller bikes .... not that one wants to be Speeding on some sections! wink.png

After rains there can be some large ruts in the roads which can be difficult to navigate. They do not grade the roads up there very often!

As for ATV's they are not legal on the main roads, one sees them occasionally but it is not common....

Some examples of what to expect!

IMG_4110.JPG

He's stuck! But one always get moving again!

IMG_4130.JPG

Just to add this may not be the worst conditions anyone will see! .... it's not something for the "faint of heart"

Thx again.

Second photo is LoL

Never been to Samui. I live in pattaya.

That be nice NY.

Although he does have the bikes...his 'repair' costs if you drop it are a little on the expensive side to say the least dragonstouch_whistle.gif

That is good advice from Jimmy...there's some rough stuff up there and it's taken two of us to haul a stuck bike a couple of times.

It always amazed me how you got your PCX thru a lot of it LOL...I know you changer the variator, but still impressive none the same.

This map is from the hill walkers and is fairly good starting point...

Walking%20In%20Koh%20Samui%20Map_zpsdz31

250cc is the largest dirt bike you'll find to rent mate

Although he does have the bikes...his 'repair' costs if you drop it are a little on the expensive side to say the least dragonstouch_whistle.gif

That is good advice from Jimmy...there's some rough stuff up there and it's taken two of us to haul a stuck bike a couple of times.

It always amazed me how you got your PCX thru a lot of it LOL...I know you changer the variator, but still impressive none the same.

This map is from the hill walkers and is fairly good starting point...

Walking%20In%20Koh%20Samui%20Map_zpsdz31

250cc is the largest dirt bike you'll find to rent mate

KTM 400cc

http://www.ohmcyclessamui.com/2011/05/ktm-400-exc-racing-for-rent.html?m=1

Thx for map.

Is it google maps gps works up there?

KTM 400cc

http://www.ohmcyclessamui.com/2011/05/ktm-400-exc-racing-for-rent.html?m=1

Thx for map.

Is it google maps gps works up there?

I haven't been in Ohms for a month or so and didn't know he had that...should be fun!

GPS will work up there a majority of the time...I haven't tried Google maps up there for awhile, but just had a look and the coverage is a lot better than it used to be

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Been there done it.

Quick update.

Went 31dec to 4 jan

Arrived 8pm so was waiting countdown on cheweng, not as big as in pattaya 4 example but orite.

Next day, didnt get any bikes as was with mate and gf and they dont do dirt bikes, so opted for 4x4 so we could go all.

Went for 4x4 Suzuki Carribeian

I tell u what first at all it was worn out, car was stalling all the time.

2ndly car is so underpowered that it had problems going up small hill on asphalt rds. Forget off road. U had to go on 2nd or 1st gear.

1.3L engine.

It had no chance going up that mountian.

Managed to see 2waterfalls and mumified monk.

Gave back that car after 3h

Should take pajero.

Same day 5pm took last boat to Koh Tao, long trip and see was not calm made me sick I was close to throwing up 55.

Stayed night on nice hill bungallow for 3k

Next morning went to Koh Nangyuan, very nice place,and after that back to Samui, bought some pills in 7 for sea sicknes did the trick.

Hang out in samui and next day went to Ang Thong, trip.

Short hol but managed to see few things.

Dissapointed a bit with cheweng qs it all buikd up with hotels and u cant see wea from street...

Thx again 4 all help.

Btw.

Do they do condos in samui?

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk

Next time give yourself more time! BeefSlapper!wink.png

Yes you should be able to find condos on Samui, other would be more help on that than me!

I showed six people around the back roads this morning, I was surprised they were in pretty good shape... Maenam Soi 5 to Lamai, detour to the Jungle Club thumbsup.gif

Samui%252520Tony%252520and%252520friends

This ATV lost a wheel and abandoned! ... for now at least... on one of the trails!

Samui%252520Tony%252520and%252520friends

We found roads around the Jungle Club, between Lamai and Chawang, which I had never seen before... some lovely views! I will post in the photo section! wink.png

Archived