Railway Station

raslin

How are you guys defining "some transport"?

You can obviously hop off the train at any number of stations and grab a taxi to Suvarnabhumi.

I grabbed some transportation brochures while I was at the airport a couple weeks back. Assuming nothing has changed from what was printed up, there is a new number 554 bus that you can catch from Don Muang that will take you to Suvarnabhumi that uses Chaeng Wattana Rd.

If you are coming to Bangkok by train from the northeast what station is best get out and catch some transport to the airport?

Already I am missing Don Muang.

Roger in Surin

If your train has Hua-lumpong for a final stop, you can get off there and take the subway to Sukhumvit Road. There is a Skytrain stop at this Sukhumvit Road stop (Asok.) At the Asok Skytrain stop you have a couple choices, you can take a meter taxi from that point directly to the airport, only pay the meter price - bargaining the price will cost more.

A second choice, if you are counting pennies, is to take the Skytrain to the On Nut Skytrain stop (maybe 15 baht.) At the On Nut Skytrain stop, across the street from the Lotus Tesco store, you can take city bus number 552 (for 35 baht) to the airport transportation center, and a free shuttle from there to the terminal.

You can also take a taxi direct from the train station. There may be other faster ways from the train station, but this works.

Edited by karazyal

If your train has Hua-lumpong for a final stop, you can get off there and take the subway to Sukhumvit Road.

The downside to taking a train all the way to Hualamphong is that it's an extra 45 minutes to an hour journey by train from Don Muang to Hualamphong, and one then needs to trek back across the city out to Suvarnabhumi. Taking the 554 bus from Don Muang avoids coming into the heart of town and might even have a traveler to the new airport before they would have arrived at Hualamphong by train.

Another option to consider though if one makes it to Hualamphong or is starting their journey from Hualamphong: take a train on the eastern line to a station that is close to Suvarnabhumi such as Huatakae, From there, it should be a short cheap taxi ride to the airport. The third-class train fare from Hualamphong to Huatakae is 7 baht.

Taxi with my cases seems the best bet.

That being the case (pardon the pun), I would get off the train at the old airport and grab a taxi from there. You certainly don't want to go any further inbound on the train than Laksi. I would think the best taxi route from that part of town follows the 554 bus route, thereby avoiding central Bangkok (i.e. using Chaeng Wattana/Ram Inthra for the jog east). Laksi station is at the junction of Vipavadhi-Rangsit Rd. and Chaeng Wattana Rd.

Assuming nothing has changed from what was printed up, there is a new number 554 bus that you can catch from Don Muang that will take you to Suvarnabhumi that uses Chaeng Wattana Rd.

The service is running, I see one of these buses 554 almost every day on Ramintra road on my way to work.

Note that the traffic can be slow on Ramintra during rush hours.

Taxi with my cases seems the best bet.

That being the case (pardon the pun), I would get off the train at the old airport and grab a taxi from there. You certainly don't want to go any further inbound on the train than Laksi. I would think the best taxi route from that part of town follows the 554 bus route, thereby avoiding central Bangkok (i.e. using Chaeng Wattana/Ram Inthra for the jog east). Laksi station is at the junction of Vipavadhi-Rangsit Rd. and Chaeng Wattana Rd.

I concur with ovenman, maybe even get off at Rangsit (before the old airport) there is an (almost) direct road round to the airport, taxis outside the station.