Gold miner goes ahead with legal action against schoolgirl, 15

webfact

A pointless exercise to serve what purpose?

Time for junta-head to make a phone call.

Here's what the military are doing about the situation:

https://protectioninternational.org/2014/08/10/ncpo-interferes-in-loei-communities-conflict-with-gold-mining-operator-tkl/

Thanks for the link powerkick, very informative article. Of course I was looking for the army to be supporting the townspeople, what a naive little person I am !!

Of course they are supporting their rich mates, vTIT.

Since the mine got shut down,this would be their only source of income besides a little from the quarry.

Last i heard they were making bricks out of the tailings dam material and the process plant was under care and maintenance.

Somebody might have a more up to date rundown of whats happening there.

Edited by farmerjo

Face face face everything is about saving face.

What a load of boll..ks. Thais will commit murder before they will lose face.

Naughty girl we will take your toys away.

"Thais will commit murder before they will lose face."

It's funny how farang think saving face is only an issue for Thais and can't see how much worse it is for farang at home or abroad.

Most of the school and work place mass shootings in farang land are a consequence of someone believing that he/they have lost face. Road rage, largely a western issue, is almost always a consequence of some farang having his ego damaged. And a large number of the seemingly endless rants on Thai Visa are predicated on matters of "principle" ... which is farang-speak for perceived loss of face when some immigration officer or store clerk or any random Thai didn't genuflect properly when handling Khun Farang.

When it comes to frivolous litigation generated by loss of face or bent egos, farang land is miles ahead of Thailand. In farang land loss of face and emotional trauma can be devastating.

A McDonald's customer is suing the fast food restaurant for $1.5million because he was given only one napkin with his meal.

Webster Lucas claims he is now unable to work because of the 'undue mental anguish' and 'emotional distress' caused by the incident.

In predictable fashion your post degenerates into the non-OP related happenings in other parts of the world. It seems you have no issue with the use of the Thai Defamation laws, as you have made no reference to them and the theme of the OP in this thread. Please clarify your position on this so that I can understand what your thoughts are in relation to the OP.

He'd have to clarify his thoughts before he could clarify his position.... coffee1.gif

"Thais will commit murder before they will lose face."

It's funny how farang think saving face is only an issue for Thais and can't see how much worse it is for farang at home or abroad.

Most of the school and work place mass shootings in farang land are a consequence of someone believing that he/they have lost face. Road rage, largely a western issue, is almost always a consequence of some farang having his ego damaged. And a large number of the seemingly endless rants on Thai Visa are predicated on matters of "principle" ... which is farang-speak for perceived loss of face when some immigration officer or store clerk or any random Thai didn't genuflect properly when handling Khun Farang.

When it comes to frivolous litigation generated by loss of face or bent egos, farang land is miles ahead of Thailand. In farang land loss of face and emotional trauma can be devastating.

A McDonald's customer is suing the fast food restaurant for $1.5million because he was given only one napkin with his meal.

Webster Lucas claims he is now unable to work because of the 'undue mental anguish' and 'emotional distress' caused by the incident.

An attack by a powerful company (backed by the military) on a 15 year old schoolgirl, in a country where there is no legal aid (losing would be catastrophic for her family) and environmental protesters frequently get dead, can hardly be described as "frivolous".

Having been living in Thailand now for going on 35 years, I often sit back and think about past events/recent history of the country and the deleterious effects they have had on Thai culture. Of course the big one is recent tourism.

We all have seen it. When did Thais (mostly the middle-class and elite) become so vindictive. When did they start coveting their ability to sue him or her ? I put it down to the previous Administration, and maybe several before that, all ways expressing to the general populace that they are going to "sue". What kind of a legacy is that ?

Suing a 15 year old kid, come on. In all other countries she would be considered a minor.

But, TiT

To add to #35, Thais were not always so vindictive in their nature. I came to Thailand, because Thais were so laid back. They had a similar life philosophy to me, "She'll be right mate". That attitude is long gone. Life philosophies now have a new keyword, money. And without going into details, most suburban Thai houses today have a new shrine. A cult that developed in the late 80's. Not related to Buddhism, but the accumulation of wealth, and "good Luck". Very few falang know about it, or would even recognize it. No hints. Thais know about it, oh so well.

A pointless exercise to serve what purpose?

Time for junta-head to make a phone call.

Here's what the military are doing about the situation:

https://protectioninternational.org/2014/08/10/ncpo-interferes-in-loei-communities-conflict-with-gold-mining-operator-tkl/

After reading the article, it looks like the military and the mine operators are cut from the same piece of cloth. coffee1.gif

Hey, I have an idea: Let's stop buying gold! w00t.gif

Not so fast. The price is dropping. If it keeps on it might become a decent price for jewelry -- right now it's still too high. Have to see what the reaction is to the U.S. increase in official overnight interest rates. Also, China is supposed to be poised to sell a lot of their gold soon. That'll help lower the price.

These Corporate Clowns give Corp. thugs a bad name...

The message: "We are powerful, well-funded, have expensive powerful lawyers and others on our payroll, so do not dare mess with us...you little people..."

Government should shut down the mine...until they determine if the river is being polluted by mining activity...that would change their tune.

These Corporate Clowns give Corp. thugs a bad name...

The message: "We are powerful, well-funded, have expensive powerful lawyers and others on our payroll, so do not dare mess with us...you little people..."

Government should shut down the mine...until they determine if the river is being polluted by mining activity...that would change their tune.

this junta has a history (already) of supporting companies, ignoring their abuses & pollution issues, and attacking activists...

I doubt that the self-appointed "PM" will be leading the charge for justice & supporting the child's position in this case... When his team is winning, then he's a very "hands-off" kind of guy... When his team needs Batman, then he whips out Art 44... coffee1.gif

Lesson for all - When repeating the BS fed to you by green activists, remember to add the conditionals "could, might and may be" and throw in a few "if"s for safety. Is 15 the maximum age to appear on a national broadcaster and tell defamatory lies without repercussions, or should that be extended to uni students (young enough to still know everything) who are the normal offenders?

Is there something wrong with the word "?" I'm American, so haven't been using the word my whole life, but it sounds benign, like "poppycock." British friends please educate me on this point before a mod deletes this post.

Edit: I guess I got my answer. The word was replaced with <deleted> before my post appeared on the screen. Live and learn.

Edited by LawrenceN