School girl facing lawsuit from a gold mining firm will get help

snoop1130

School girl facing lawsuit from a gold mining firm will get help
Thai PBS

171-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK -- Loei provincial governor Viroj Chivarangsan has offered to provide legal counseling and mental help to a Mathayom 4 student in Wang Sapung district who is facing defamation charge filed against him by Thung Kham gold mining company.

A gold mining company was asked to testify to the youth protection and remand home in Loei on Friday about the reason why it decided to takethe school girl to court for defaming the company.

The girl whose identity was withheld because she is an underaged is a member of the citizen reporters of Thai PBS. During an interview conducted by the independent public broadcaster as part of its comprehensive coverage of the gold mining activities and impacts on the environment, the girl talked about the ordeal of villagers living in close vicinity of the gold mine which the company deemed as inflammatory.

Thai PBS on December 15 issued a statement calling on Thung Kham Company to reconsider its defamation lawsuit against the school girl. The public broadcaster claimed that the gold mining operator had already sued its five executives and that should be enough.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/video-school-girl-facing-lawsuit-from-a-gold-mining-firm-will-get-help

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-12-17

The gold mining company is going to regret suing such a young kid for defamation. It's just going to bring the issue much more to the public's and govt's attention and I expect a lot of influential people will be on the kid's side. Bad move by the gold mining company.

Edited by Pib

The gold mining company is going to regret suing such a young kid for defamation. It's just going to bring the issue much more to the public's and govt's attention and I expect a lot of influential people will be on the kid's side. Bad move by the gold mining company.

nothing will happen to them....

I would think a judge or magistrate would throw out a trivial vindictive case of that nature against a minor .

From what I read , her expression of public opinion about the company is not slander , it is arguable that it is the truth , in a neighbourhood where people are unhappy about the mine .

I believe arsenic is found in conjunction with gold that could poison the local water supply .

What has a company to gain from suing a minor , who cannot be held responsible as an adult ? A Big Fine ? But she has No money .

The bad publicity will far outweigh any compensation .

A judge could make a very big issue out of such a case , find in favour of the accused and make the gold company pay all the costs .

I cant understand it,Thai's are brilliant at scams and corruption but no good at public relations

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

That, soalbundy, is probably the most accurate and true statement I have ever seen on this forum.

It's like Mr. P going after Farcebookers.

They are experts at making mountains out of molehills, and doing precious little, if anything about real problems like water management and driver education/road safety.

Edited by jaywalker

Doesn't the Provincial Governor have the power to tell the mining company to wind their neck in?

Kidding, aren't you?

There will have been large amounts of cash moving around in Loei in order to get all the mining concessions and to keep the villagers silenced, once they found out that they were being poisoned by cyanide. Even the army is operating there in the interests of the company.

http://protectioninternational.org/2014/08/10/ncpo-interferes-in-loei-communities-conflict-with-gold-mining-operator-tkl/

Doesn't the Provincial Governor have the power to tell the mining company to wind their neck in?

Kidding, aren't you?

There will have been large amounts of cash moving around in Loei in order to get all the mining concessions and to keep the villagers silenced, once they found out that they were being poisoned by cyanide. Even the army is operating there in the interests of the company.

http://protectioninternational.org/2014/08/10/ncpo-interferes-in-loei-communities-conflict-with-gold-mining-operator-tkl/

I am sure you're right.

I was posting more in hope than expectation - sadly.

I would think a judge or magistrate would throw out a trivial vindictive case of that nature against a minor .

From what I read , her expression of public opinion about the company is not slander , it is arguable that it is the truth , in a neighbourhood where people are unhappy about the mine .

I believe arsenic is found in conjunction with gold that could poison the local water supply .

What has a company to gain from suing a minor , who cannot be held responsible as an adult ? A Big Fine ? But she has No money .

A judge could make a very big issue out of such a case , find in favour of the accused and make the gold company pay all the costs .

I chose Toscano's post almost at random as an introit to my idea/query.

I do not know much about the judicial system in Thailand as yet, and frankly hope to avoid the necessity of such knowledge. I know even less about the corporate environment.

To business, then. Would there be any point at all to a letter writing campaign to the Company? Is there a Thai based petitioning organization such as Causes? Would a petition circulated via Causes have any impact with the Company?

Thoughts and suggestions sought and appreciated, as in my opinion a minor child should not in any way be a target of Corporate bullying.

I do not know much about the judicial system in Thailand as yet, and frankly hope to avoid the necessity of such knowledge. I know even less about the corporate environment.

To business, then. Would there be any point at all to a letter writing campaign to the Company? Is there a Thai based petitioning organization such as Causes? Would a petition circulated via Causes have any impact with the Company?

Thoughts and suggestions sought and appreciated, as in my opinion a minor child should not in any way be a target of Corporate bullying.

As for a minor being targeted, it means bugger all in Thailand especially if a girl seeing as how they are abused, beaten and raped daily with virtually no protection in law or morals....

I am not sure,but it doesn't matter if it is the truth,she still showed the company in a bad light.Thai logic.

Corporate bullies.

A good defense is a strong offense. You see more and more of this David and Goliath stuff in the world today. Bill Cosby is another good example. Tired of accusations he is using his money to attack his attackers. A good way for the rich to silence the poor. Intimidation.

Spitting into the breeze my friend.

It's all about "face".

This company is trying to get blood out of a turnip just to save "Face".