This is the wifes breakfast

eyecatcher

Muesli; too much for today obviously but i need help.

post-150623-1450402704026_thumb.jpg

Bought this for her yesterday and put in sealed container.

This morning crawling with hundreds of those tiny speedy ants.

Any solution to getting them out or shall i just drown them in the milk and tell her its extra vitamins.

We use these and no problem with ants etc

49615bl_jar.jpg

Ps: I think if you drown them in milk then they will float on top and you can scoop them out, but I don't think you will get all of them

Edited by MJCM

49615bl_jar.jpg

Ps: I think if you drown them in milk then they will float on top and you can scoop them out, but I don't think you will get all of them

Yes thats what we need or the jug type with the hinged stopper.

I had an airtight canister from Jok but i can see they get in via the small lid pinch openers.

If they are already in there, you need to put out in strong sun so the ants will evacuate. I realise this isn't very practical today when we have no sun!

I put my muesli in a not very airtight container on top of the fridge. I don't get ants crawling up on the fridge, I think they know Thai electrics are dodgy and act accordingly.

I keep mine in the fridge, ants can't reach the handle

Please think twice that Ants can't get in your Fridge, if the rubber seal around the door is worn the ants can get in and they don't even have to reach for the handle biggrin.png

Formic acid mate. Very good for you, especially if your pregnant.

So i need to get pregnant first. Ok will think about that one.

Sorry mate, i got that hopelessly wrong.

I was thinking of folic acid.

formic wont do any harm though, but if you do get prgnant then you should eat a diet rich in folic not formic acid. thumbsup.gif

I keep mine in the fridge, ants can't reach the handle

Please think twice that Ants can't get in your Fridge, if the rubber seal around the door is worn the ants can get in and they don't even have to reach for the handle biggrin.png

And you are keeping the food fresh for them. Ants also appreciate "cool" food on hot days.

I have a feeling that if you bought it just yesterday... then transferred it to a sealed container... the chances are good to excellent that there were ALREADY ant eggs present in the muesli... You just gave them a new home.

You know that was my first thought.

Same as rice looks great then gradually a couple of ants not hundreds.

I should go back to makro and make a formic complaint.

I have a feeling that if you bought it just yesterday... then transferred it to a sealed container... the chances are good to excellent that there were ALREADY ant eggs present in the muesli... You just gave them a new home.

You know that was my first thought.

Same as rice looks great then gradually a couple of ants not hundreds.

I should go back to makro and make a formic complaint.

One easy way to keep them (and other crawlie things) out of rice and grains is with ordinary Wasabi powder. Use either an ordinary paper coffee filter, empty tea bags, or make small cloth sacks, and fill with a tablespoon-full or two of Wasabi powder. (All the supermarkets carry small tins of it.) All Japanese supermarkets sell these as 'impulse items' near the cash register pre-made just for this purpose. Stick one or two packets in with your rice and grains, and stop worrying about little bugs. It's still a good idea to store in sealed containers for freshness. In Japan, most households keep their rice in plastic 'dispensers' about the size of a large kitchen trash bin, not sealed in any fashion. Press one of the two buttons and it dispenses just the right amount of rice for one or two servings. With the Wasabi packets, there is never a problem with bugs getting into the rice.

I like the Wasabi thing. I hadn't heard of that before. Any insect food infestation (or items such as books with silverfish for example) can be solved by placing the item in a bag and placing in the deep freezer. This is how I kill insects when I am working on botanical and insect specimens and is the method taught to me by our Museum and the Herbarium. I do this about every six months with the specimens as they are quickly infected by beetles and moth larva. It is also a method I use to kill insects in the Indian rice I prefer. It is always infested. Place in plastic container and place in freezer for at least twelve hours.

I put my muesli in a not very airtight container on top of the fridge. I don't get ants crawling up on the fridge, I think they know Thai electrics are dodgy and act accordingly.

I also stack small treats such as lightly-wrapped pastries and cookies in an unsealed plastic container on top of the fridge. However, as an added precaution, I put the plastic container in the middle of a shallow cooking tray filled with water. No ants have ever swum across.

One easy way to keep them (and other crawlie things) out of rice and grains is with ordinary Wasabi powder. Use either an ordinary paper coffee filter, empty tea bags, or make small cloth sacks, and fill with a tablespoon-full or two of Wasabi powder. (All the supermarkets carry small tins of it.) All Japanese supermarkets sell these as 'impulse items' near the cash register pre-made just for this purpose. Stick one or two packets in with your rice and grains, and stop worrying about little bugs. It's still a good idea to store in sealed containers for freshness. In Japan, most households keep their rice in plastic 'dispensers' about the size of a large kitchen trash bin, not sealed in any fashion. Press one of the two buttons and it dispenses just the right amount of rice for one or two servings. With the Wasabi packets, there is never a problem with bugs getting into the rice.

Does the wasabi powder smell strongly? What I mean is does it make the rice smell?

49615bl_jar.jpg

I had an airtight canister from Jok but i can see they get in via the small lid pinch openers.

I think "airtight" should have been in quotation marks in your comment.

Dubious for lots of reason. For one, ant's don't indiscrimately lay eggs. They lay them in specialized areas on a colony. I kind of doubt the ants established a colony in the meusli. Also, full blown ants don't hatch out of eggs. Rather they emerge as larvae. Larvae can't feed themselves. They need worker ants to help.

49615bl_jar.jpg

I think "airtight" should have been in quotation marks in your comment.

Ziploc bags do the business for me.

Even keep out those tiny little ants.

A colony of which I found living in a bathroom sponge once.