Keep meat away from rats, says Chiang Mai Environmental Health office

webfact

Ok while on the subject , in my local Lotus there is now a KFC . You can wash your hands after eating your burger , but what about those that shop first then eat ? A cart handle that is touched by 30 people every day . Go into KFC and eat a burger with hands that have been pushing a cart around ...yuk. One more thing and my TW is no exception. Why oh why do they put spoons in the glass/cup bowl up . Cutting meat , giving change then give you a spoon by picking the spoon up by the spoon bowl , another yuk. That is my rant for today . Bloody cold it is too.

Ok while on the subject , in my local Lotus there is now a KFC . You can wash your hands after eating your burger , but what about those that shop first then eat ? A cart handle that is touched by 30 people every day . Go into KFC and eat a burger with hands that have been pushing a cart around ...yuk.

Is there something that prevents you from washing their hands first? Weren't we all taught to 'wash up for dinner?'

Only the vendors know where their hands have been.

Only you know where yours have been.

Some people don't give a rat's-arse as to where or what they touch, so here is a piece of advice: strive to be the best Hygiene Samurai on the block!

ps. - that white spot on the fried chicken sold along the river at "the market" may just be sparrow droppings (pics of birds feasting at the stalls are available on request)

Edited by WaiLai

I got H Pylori from eating mango with coconut milk and sticky rice at one of those markets in 2006 and was quite ill until it was diagnosed. Doc pointed out that few markets have a sink where vendors can wash their hands, so most foods are contaminated if touched by the vendor. Lots of hand contact with pealing a mango so the tasty sticky rice mango is definitely a food to completely avoid in Thailand markets. Rats in markets are very common as well as the OP states.

People have to be told to do this ?

Just as bad as the proposal to hold ' parenting ' classes.

And people wonder why I refuse to eat pork here in Thailand.

Because you are Muslim?

Do you think chicken is any safer?

Exactly! I used to buy chicken tenderloins etc at Macro "fresh" meat display. Now, after seeing on near every occasion, one or more of the locals digging through the portions, often 2 handed, sorting out which ones they want,with their bare hands [even tho' gloves are supplied and i not plastic bags are can be used] i started buying only the factory pre-packed frozen stuff.Bit inconvenient, but less so than the likely effects of eating multi-handled "fresh" meats.

I have watched these people rumage through the meats, going from one to another,and off to seafoods still bare handed and then wipe their hands on their pants, and off they go.This meat juice is then transferred from hands to shopping trolley and money and anything else these dirty bastards touch and eventually the good possibility to you indirectly...bah.gif

Dude that made me laugh so much! Sadly, I know what you are saying is true! I must tell my wife, she did comment about seeing the rat video and said she will only buy meat in the supermarket now which did impress me ;-). Now I will have to warn her about the less clean habits of some people!

I guess it's safe to assume that the meats sold in supermarkets in sterile white trays sealed with cling wrap started out as larger cuts of meat but always in sterile white trays covered with cling wrap, rather than on some vendor's tables awaiting the supermarket buyers to come and place an order. No chance of rats in the slaughterhouse or mishandling there... Oh... wait....

Edited by FolkGuitar

I once took seriously ill in Cambodia a few years ago.

After 2 weeks of care by local doctors I was admitted to hospital.

Ruling out diet as the cause (since I cooked my own meals), the doctor told me that it was most likely the handling of money. Cambodia only uses bills and they are always filthy.

I researched this notion at a bank upon returning to my home country.

The teller pointed to the bactericidal hand pumps at each wicket and said tellers were now starting to wear plastic gloves.

It turns out that the dirtiest and most infected banknote in the world is the US 1$ bill.

Whose hands have your banknotes been in lately?