Brit savagely beaten by Patong tuk-tuk driver

webfact

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez.... I don't believe the comments here. Who cares what the fare should be? The issue here is that no one has the right to resort to violence to resolve a dispute. The fault is with the tuk-tuk driver. His action is inexcusable and certainly not justified by the amount of fare.

How does a 22 year old guy of this size get the crap beat out of him by a Tuk Tuk driver?

Come on it's not hard to imagine. a) he was likely drunk (since it was from Bangla), and B) since his arm is pretty badly damaged I'll go out on a limb and say it involved a weapon, like a pipe/crowbar.

Edited by LoveThaiGirls

How does a 22 year old guy of this size get the crap beat out of him by a Tuk Tuk driver?

Ever heard of a dog-pack attack? Defending himself would have invited one. The dogs don't even have to know each other to form the pack.

Have you actually ever been to Thailand for more than just a holiday?

The usual fair may well be 300 but did they agree or discuss the fair?

I presume that is rhetorical, as unlikely anybody on here knows the answer.

Are you implying that not agreeing a fare should result in a beating?

I might be wrong and I am sure you will correct me if I am wrong but that

does seem to be the implication of that question.

Ever notice?

Reading the various forums, you continuously come upon stories of Thais beating on hapless falangs. It's as if Thais are supermen and impervious to fear and pain. It's as if all falangs are no match in size, strength, and speed for these Thai supermen.

Even in self defense, I seldom see the bloodied Thai filing his assault police report. My assumption is that those hired as drivers are often thugs who are prepared to fight for their bosses.

salt of the earth the earth those fellas....

just last week after I (legally) parked behind a tuk tuk, one told me I couldn't park there, then threatened to punch me when I asked why he could park there...

My dad was in the car too, first trip to thailand, a great impression...

"salt of the earth" hmm

sort of but where the salt on the food exits the body

The usual fair may well be 300 but did they agree or discuss the fair?

Exactly

Dumb <deleted> tourist beered up things he is superman (proven otherwise) and knows all there is too know about the world.

well he learnt a lesson didn't he! ever do any research - this is not a place to <deleted> with the local sunshine, over 10quid. idiot.

yes this is annouying, yes the tuk tuk was taking the piss. happens all over the world and you pay the price and remember next time to agree a fee.

Yeah but he's obviously not as Wordly wise and experienced as you are... Why is he a dumb*** and a superman? He's a lad on holiday, that doesn't make him a dumb*** or a supermen, it makes him a lad on holiday. The only thing dumb*** here is your ridiculous generalizing comment. It doesn't happen all over the World, Get a cab in Spain, you pay the meter price, same in Brazil, same in Poland, same in UK, same in Germany, same in France, USA, Italy, Malta, Israel and many other countries. Your comment has to be the stupidest comment of the day

Edited by Alwyn

Just look at the amount of tragic occurrences that have happened to farang down South in these 'amazing wonderful islands' in the past few weeks alone, let alone decade. I really have no idea what the lure is, I am still young and have been through my rave and party phase, but I will not supply these islands with a single baht of mine. Enjoy the tourist traps people

He don't look that 'savagely beaten' to me.

A small bandage on one hand and elbow ...... I've done worse than that to myself gardening.

Maybe 'slightly bruised' .... but that isn't such a good headline.

His hand is fully bandaged and his arm is in a sling. What do you want - a photo of him in traction?

What do you garden with - nunchakas?

Most of you people are talking out your poop chutes. Never been to Phuket or ridden in a tuk, tuk. You dont have a clue about what goes on there. Did you know the government put standardized fares in play on the island just to atop this BS? I guarantee you the standard fair is not 1000 baht or even 300 for that ride. The tuk tuk guys are the scum of the earth on Phuket. They attempted to reign them after the coup and they have been back to their old tricks for a while now. Thai society sucks.

Is it something in the water? Hardly a day goes by without some tourist or expat getting beaten to pulp by Thai men or lady-boys who have "lost it" during some relatively trivial dispute. According to a report in the New York Times violent crime has rocketed under the present regime, though this is denied by the BIB.

There used to be a website dedicated to recording the gory details of falang deaths in the Land of Smiles, but it seems to have, , , I was going to say "died a natural death", but, the way things are here, that would make it almost unique.

Crime overall up by 63 percent in one year, which might make Thailand #1 in rising crime rates. The report was, of course, not published in Thailand as it would destroy the happiness everyone is feeling.

It's five kms. from Soi Bangla to soi nana, really!

And 300 is the going rate, jeeze, maybe I'll give up investment banking and become a tuk tuk driver instead.

lol I would of sparked the driver rule no.1 never get a tuk tuk in patong rent a cab

I am afraid that in recent times incidence of violence and crime generally has escalated in Thailand

Thai to farang, Thai to Thai

I think it reflects on more available money and people's greed to get more of it

Obstacles are overcome by turning to violence and low levels of emotional maturity particularly with Thai men leads to increased incidents like this

JGV

I thought that Dear Leader himself decreed that the taxi and tuk tuk Mafia were going to be a thing of the past. There were a lot of arrests, but I haven't kept up with the news on it (or the beaches being cleared of sunbeds and vendors.

If anyone wants to write a potted version of what has and is happening, I would very much appreciate it.

Is it something in the water? Hardly a day goes by without some tourist or expat getting beaten to pulp by Thai men or lady-boys who have "lost it" during some relatively trivial dispute. According to a report in the New York Times violent crime has rocketed under the present regime, though this is denied by the BIB.

There used to be a website dedicated to recording the gory details of falang deaths in the Land of Smiles, but it seems to have, , , I was going to say "died a natural death", but, the way things are here, that would make it almost unique.

Just assuming... Yaba is everywhere

Edited by doode

The problem is that, the Ministry of Transport is asleep for 20 years.
So Tuk Tuks have no meters.
Unfortunately, there is not even an official system/table/pricelist for example, distance kilometers.
So a carte blanche to charge whatever they want and the anger and the beatings are inevitable.

For example a solution such as in the Philippines with kilometers and zones would be good.
The trike fare lists are clearly displayed on the vehicles.

post-151287-0-99577100-1450440302_thumb.

It's five kms. from Soi Bangla to soi nana, really!

And 300 is the going rate, jeeze, maybe I'll give up investment banking and become a tuk tuk driver instead.

lol I would of sparked the driver rule no.1 never get a tuk tuk in patong rent a cab

A cab in Patong, that woukld be a rare sight, one with a meter would be unheard of.

....if they would actually file appropriate charges....assault....and suspension of licence....maybe he would think twice before ever doing it again....

....with a 500 baht fine...he will promptly recoup this from his next victim.....

High season tourism promotion at its best from the land of smiles.

I hope it makes it to the British tabloids.

There is no other solution than avoiding this mobster island.

1000 Baht for five kilometers, fraudster!

Sad.

I agree fully.

Phuket is in dire need of a make over as well as a complete overhaul of their public transport system management or it ends up like samui and jomtien, with dwindling property prices, empty shops and villa's etc.etc.

I've just read a report in the Phuketwan ... I have to laugh at the the discrepancies between all the names.

Anyway it seems that the driver had become annoyed when the tourist could not remember exactly where his resort was and the driver had to keep driving. Plus the driver did not hit the passenger wit an iron bar, he hit him with an umbrella.

A very good story ...