Pattaya is dead

VIPinthailand

I lived in Pattaya for a few months a couple of years ago. I have no idea if the hotels were fully booked or not when I was living there as I had no reason to look.

I would hazard a guess that only tourists or hotel employees could tell you if hotels are full or not.

Why would a person living there have any need to contact a hotel ?

Do you really think a falang living in pattaya can take a bargirl home ;)

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you from the truth police or a wanna-be detective?

Dear readers, if you want to know if Pattaya is dead, go to Central in the afternoon/ evening, of watch the traffic on Pattaya Klang .

I have been here for 8 straight hi-seasons. I know a beer bar owner on Walking St. / Soi Diamond. Every year has been worst than the one before according to both of us.

Nah , you lying as according to 2 posters already the place is jammed packed and MOST hotels are fully booked, in fact so booked that many offering 50% off in high season.biggrin.png

I have been here for 8 straight hi-seasons. I know a beer bar owner on Walking St. / Soi Diamond. Every year has been worst than the one before according to both of us.

Nah , you lying as according to 2 posters already the place is jammed packed and MOST hotels are fully booked, in fact so booked that many offering 50% off in high season.biggrin.png

I am not interested in going to Pattaya right now but I agree, some people talk horse manure. Just checked room availability on booking.com (downtown Pattaya only), 163 properties available from today for the next five days, and not only expensive hotels either. Some discounts up to 55%. Seems the place is not fully booked at all, right?

Dear readers, if you want to know if Pattaya is dead, go to Central in the afternoon/ evening, of watch the traffic on Pattaya Klang .

Traffic - Schmaffic. Your referring to all the thais, taxis and songkows driving around in circles all day. Central festival = traffic by construction. Go take a look at the Royal Garden area.

That place used to be a high season centerpiece : Decorations, a thriving beach area with benches and girls and tourist strolling along a crowded promenade Now its a chaotic lower than low season horror show.

All you see is double parked taxis and a desolate beach walkway with more touts than tourists. Its only high season for traffic jams , tour buses and of course a select group of bars.

I am not interested in going to Pattaya right now but I agree, some people talk horse manure. Just checked room availability on booking.com (downtown Pattaya only), 163 properties available from today for the next five days, and not only expensive hotels either. Some discounts up to 55%. Seems the place is not fully booked at all, right?

No, you are wrong. Well, at least according to TAT you are!!

Who would go to Royal Gardens is you can go to Central? The former has been dead since the latter opened.

It's probably true that there are fewer "old style" tourists in Pattaya, but if you were to check the stats, I think you'd find a substantial increase in tourists from China and other Asian countries. Hence the enornous number of tour busses.

Traffic - Schmaffic. Your referring to all the thais, taxis and songkows driving around in circles all day. Central festival = traffic by construction. Go take a look at the Royal Garden area.

That place used to be a high season centerpiece : Decorations, a thriving beach area with benches and girls and tourist strolling along a crowded promenade Now its a chaotic lower than low season horror show.

All you see is double parked taxis and a desolate beach walkway with more touts than tourists. Its only high season for traffic jams , tour buses and of course a select group of bars.

Amusing some of the things people get all hot and bothered about.

Is Pattaya dead? No.

Are there way more people here now than 5, 10 or 15 years ago? Yes, and that's true year 'round, not just during the holiday high seasons.

Are there fewer people here than last year or last week or on some arbitrarily chosen date in history? Hard to say and even harder to care.

If you're a resident and spend time in supermarkets or in the several malls that cater to residents (most of which didn't exist 10 years ago) or driving from A to B, there's plenty of traffic, human and vehicular, out there.

If you spend all your time holding down a bar stool, I'm sure the world is a very disappointing place wherever you are.

Just another exercise in Pattaya bashing by people who claim they would never come here but seem to (think they) know a lot about the place.

post-145917-0-83818400-1450496518_thumb.

I agree, I was out and about Thursday night and it was hardly busy, with some beer bars nigh empty. Are they pricing themselves out I wonder, and the current majority of tourists are elsewhere? If they are asking 90 baht for a beer or more to sit in the heat being bitten by mozzies with 3-4 heavy ladies to look at I think I will drink elsewhere too.

Must be a different Pattaya from the one I was stuck in traffic jams in all directions this evening, and when I finally escaped form it and took a detour over soi Buahkow I noticed that most bars were full. This was at 7pm.

There you go....the answer to the question.

If you are walking around a 11.00 AM in the morning you may wonder were all the people are verses walking around at 11.00 PM evening time thinking the place is on human over load.

Cheers

Oh yes, Pattaya is FULL. ...really full of Chinese tourists and hundreds of tour buses on the roads. But those chinese guys don't bring much money to pattaya. They booked and paid their whole tour in China at a Chinese travel agency, even the food is included. They stay here just for a few days. All they buy is some souvenirs. They neither buy land, houses or condos like farangs do, nor do they sponsor the girls. So.... what will we count or compare with the last years? The number of the people in town or the benefit for the city and the business people here?

There are so many rooms in Pattaya that you will always find availability. But, you may not find what you want.

In the next 2 weeks if you want Areca Lodge, Sutus Court, Nature View etc....... forget it.

Oh yes, Pattaya is FULL. ...really full of Chinese tourists and hundreds of tour buses on the roads. But those chinese guys don't bring much money to pattaya. They booked and paid their whole tour in China at a Chinese travel agency, even the food is included. They stay here just for a few days. All they buy is some souvenirs. They neither buy land, houses or condos like farangs do, nor do they sponsor the girls. So.... what will we count or compare with the last years? The number of the people in town or the benefit for the city and the business people here?

You mean the restaurants they eat at and the hotels they sleep in in Thailand all don't receive any money?

If they didn't buy property, then I wonder why so many property billboards and brochures are in Chinese these days.

I lived in Pattaya for a few months a couple of years ago. I have no idea if the hotels were fully booked or not when I was living there as I had no reason to look.

I would hazard a guess that only tourists or hotel employees could tell you if hotels are full or not.

Why would a person living there have any need to contact a hotel ?

Do you really think a falang living in pattaya can take a bargirl home wink.png

IF he is single why not ????

Its always hard to get the truth on these things....lots of bloody bingo players with business interests talking up the place.

Have a look at Soi buakhao. Previous years there was no chance to get a shop. This year already at least 8 empty ones in prime locations .

I only prey I am wrong but I think by March of 2016, this number will triple if not more, that includes small guesthouse and hotels

Prime locations? On Buakhao? You pulling my leg again?

been thinking about this a lot.

But many factors come together i guess.

Pattaya definately need an update , to attract new tourists from a different category. The whole beach road area could be transformed into boulevards of high quality, with marina's etc. Make it Like Miami, attractive to all sorts of toerist, with quality infrastructure. in the area's that count. It looks likea badly put together puzzle right now. A very commercially attractive area only used for half of it's potential or even less.. etc etc. Of course that's dreaming . That needs working together and good city planning. LOL

The whole mid section of the old city needs an update to attract new investments for new bussinesses. Infrastructure i mean.

The whole economie in Thailand is down, although they state something else. Toerism is not different.

The general does not make it look attractive to outiders, only to Thai. Maybe we see through it all easier?

Prices and service in Thailand are not what they used to be

The neighbouring countries do a lot better in most of these points,

Low prices, better English, more authentic and for the rest , would you mind as a 3 week toerist if you go to Vietnam, cambodia or Thailand.?

I feel, Thailand has put itself in a less favourable position for investments as well as holidays, over the last 5 years. specifically

pattaya definately need an update, to attract new tourists from a different category

The whole mid section of the old city needs an update to attract new investments for new bussinesses. Infrastructure i mean.

The whole economie in Thailand is down, although they state something else. Toerism is not different.

The general does not make it look attractive to outiders, only to Thai. maybe we see through it all easier?

The neighbouring countries do a lot better in most of these points, To toerist that is eh.

Low prices, better English, more authentic and for the rest , would you mind as a 3 week toerist if you go to Vietnam, cambodia or Thailand.?

I feel Thailand has put itself in a less favourable position for investments as well as holidays, over the last 5 years.

So what you suggest is a fleet of bulldozers going end to end,easier way drop a bloody great bomb on it,making sure I'm not around

pattaya definately need an update, to attract new tourists from a different category

The general does not make it look attractive to outiders, only to Thai. maybe we see through it all easier?

The neighbouring countries do a lot better in most of these points, To toerist that is eh.

I feel Thailand has put itself in a less favourable position for investments as well as holidays, over the last 5 years.

So what you suggest is a fleet of bulldozers going end to end,easier way drop a bloody great bomb on it,making sure I'm not around

For a long time already the talk has been going with the owners of property in certain area;s that it needs to be upgraded. the government proposed a change on the sort of licenses given to new bussinesses and constructions, to try and get a different sort of construction for every old building that goes down , and a different sort of bussines, when another stops. Then the coup came and then another and now the Army, the money dried up, And the whole concept of city planning has not been introduced in the proper way yet, backed up by the proper investments. I guess it will never happen hahahahaha. Too bad though

Such a nice chance. a million plus city on the ocean, with so much potential.

I can get crap for a much lower price somewhere else.

For a long time already the talk has been going with the owners of property in certain area;s that it needs to be upgraded. the government proposed a change on the sort of licenses given to new bussinesses and constructions, to try and get a different sort of construction for every old building that goes down , and a different sort of bussines, when another stops. Then the coup came and then another and now the Army, the money dried up, And the whole concept of city planning has not been introduced in the proper way yet, backed up by the proper investments. I guess it will never happen hahahahaha. Too bad though

Such a nice chance. a million plus city on the ocean, with so much potential.

I can get crap for a much lower price somewhere else.

but yes a fleet of bulldozers would do fine

Booking.com lots of empty rooms for today in Pattaya

agoda shows 72 Pattaya properties with rooms available for the weekend. The following on Beach Road.

attachicon.gifbeach hotels.jpg

Any idea how many Pattaya hotels are actually listed on Agoda?

Dare to mention the number of properties that don't have rooms available?

Why bother with these definitives? A major tourist destination that boasts upwards of 12,000 hotel ROOMs has loads of availability across all budget ranges in the middle of high season in the last weekend before Christmas.

Booking.com lots of empty rooms for today in Pattaya

agoda shows 72 Pattaya properties with rooms available for the weekend. The following on Beach Road.

attachicon.gifbeach hotels.jpg

Any idea how many Pattaya hotels are actually listed on Agoda?

Dare to mention the number of properties that don't have rooms available?

Why bother with these definitives? A major tourist destination that boasts upwards of 12,000 hotel ROOMs has loads of availability across all budget ranges in the middle of high season in the last weekend before Christmas.

Again: Booking.com has for today (Saturday) 1,059 hotels with rooms available (entire Pattaya), their site shows that the property listed on booking.com have a 52% booking rate (which means that of all the hotels listed on booking.com, the booking rate is 52%, which means 48% is available). If you do the same for Pattaya Central, you get 295 properties, with a booking rate of 36%. And if you do it for Pattaya Walking Street, you get 868 properties (yes I know, it does not make any sense to show MORE properties than by searching for Pattaya Central...), with a booking rate of 51%.

In other words, someone is telling stories that it was very difficult to find accommodation. As there is instant confirmation on booking.com (and agoda and hotels.com etc), these rooms ARE available, and plenty of too!

And yes, I am sure that some hotels are fully booked, and that's great for those hotels, well done!

Pattaya is not a sinking ship, its a submarine! not really, you want to come to the 'Dark Side' where I live, bloody ghost town, still opening new bars though, but soon closing them or selling them on, no customers. You have to go into Pattaya to see any life, near impossible to get there now with all the road works and the 'New Road' by the railway track. Payttaya gets gridlocked now.

You mean the restaurants they eat at and the hotels they sleep in in Thailand all don't receive any money?

If they didn't buy property, then I wonder why so many property billboards and brochures are in Chinese these days.

Come on now...you know what he meant.

They do not spread the money around the way the other half of the tourists do or will or could historically spread the money around.

They seldom rent any motorcycles or rent much at all aside from what is provided in their tour packages.

The seldom use the baht bus services

They seldom go to random restaurants or eat the street food and seldom buy the food at the local fruit and vegetable markets.

They seldom go out drinking and touring around anywhere and everywhere on foot or randomly choose a bar to sit at and intermingle with the girls and the locals working there and who ever else is there in that particular bar or drinking and entertainment establishment and then move on to another place and another place after that....all the while spending their money and leaving often generous tips and pay to play pool and order some food off the street and eaten in the bar or use a short time room upstairs or bar fine the girls to go around with them and further spread the money around....or buy ladies drinks all around....etc etc etc

The list of possible ways of entertaining themselves and spreading the money around could go on and on relative to what they could be doing......but they DO NOT do ......to spread the money around in the local economy.

Geez...even the crooks, thieves, scam artists and ladyboy hustlers ...and don't forget the corrupted police ......seldom see 1 satang of their Chinese money......lol

When you think about it ...it is better they carry on doing the limited amount of what they do as all the historic fun seekers and or long time expats or foreigner residents would rather not see them doing all of what is mentioned above....rather they come for 2 to 3 days on their packaged tours and then loaded up in the rickshaw wagons and head out of Dodge City and be gone with the lot of them....lol

Cheers

Just because the Bars are empty doesn't mean to say the place is dead, not every one who comes is into the Bar culture, maybe they were years ago. The traffic from 3rd Road, along Pattaya Klang, Pattaya Thai is gridlocked at times and try crossing 2nd Road and Beach Road. I was down the near Walking Street area the other night and you couldn't move albeit Chinese people.

Archived