Ford’s redesigned Ranger named Pickup Truck of 2015

rooster59

Ford’s redesigned Ranger named Pickup Truck of 2015

30275267-01_big.jpg

KUALA LUMPUR: THE REDESIGNED Ford Ranger garnered top scores from Thai and Malaysian judges at the inaugural 2015 Asean Car of the Year awards in Kuala Lumpur.

"We are extremely proud that the new Ford Ranger was named Pickup Truck of the Year [in Thailand and Malaysia] … this achievement and honour really highlight Ranger's built-Ford-tough credentials and solidify its position as the benchmark by which all other pickup trucks are judged," said Mark Kaufman, president Ford Asean.

"Leveraging our proud truck heritage and global expertise in the pickup-truck segment, we've designed Ranger to take on the extreme environments that customers can experience daily in the Asean region. From class-leading 800-millimetre water wading to exceptional payload capacity, Ranger really is built Ford tough."

The judging panel comprised motoring journalists from Thailand, Indonesia and Malaysia as well as industry experts including insurers and third-party warranty-service providers from all Asean countries .

For vehicles to be eligible for the country-level awards, the judging panel of each country must nominate vehicles that are available for sale in their respective countries.

Upon tabulation from the awards committee, the three most nominated cars in each category formed the finalists for each country's 22 categories.

To provide a holistic evaluation of each vehicle, an industry-first scoring mechanism that combines the scores from the judging panel, industry experts and customers to cover the full scope of vehicle ownership was employed.

This was created to reflect a vehicle's strength and weakness in terms of reliability, depreciation and ownership experience.

Introduced in Asean this year, the Ranger is built at Ford's AutoAlliance Thailand joint venture in Rayong.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Fords-redesigned-Ranger-named-Pickup-Truck-of-2015-30275267.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-19

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At least at my dealer (Ford Ek Phaholyothin), I have found after-sales service to be excellent. They take appointments, call with a reminder the day before, and my car has always been ready at the designated completion time and done correctly.

Just did a one day off road trip with a friend in he's new Ford Ranger a couple of weeks ago near Mae Sariang. and it really is a great car. it has everything you can wish for in a car.

I'm not promoting anything but I was impressed.

Best regards, Off Road pat

Do you still have to pay 80,000 baht extra to bump yourself to the front of the line? Is the after sale service going to improve? coffee1.gif

Hasn't been the case since about 2012 and after sales service on the couple that I have owned has been excellent at two different dealerships.

Ford Thailand, do not understand about after sales service, totally non existent.

...said the chap with rapier wit who will be back in a moment with the fix or repair daily comment.

Ford Thailand, do not understand about after sales service, totally non existent.

I currently own a 2015 Ford and your observation is not what I have experience.

I own a substantially older one and while I would not say they were bad, I have spent a lot more time there waiting than I am happy about.

Does it still come without a Sat Nav and a DVD player ?

Definately no SatNav...I think ....don't know about a DVD player...where would that be. There's a lot of nobs and buttons that I don't know what they are for yet...

Nor mine, but that doesn't stop people with no actual experience posting utter rot. He's probably embarrassed by wasting money on a Toyota who after 9 years of development still failed.

Nor mine, but that doesn't stop people with no actual experience posting utter rot. He's probably embarrassed by wasting money on a Toyota who after 9 years of development still failed.

I had a ranger for 10 years for working on the farm and the local Ford dealer is/was a complete disaster, now got Toyota for working on the farm and very happy with it and the dealers, Pajero Sport for normal riding around and the dealer here is superb..

If I was back in the uk would have no problems with the ford for work as the dealer network there is fantastic with fully trained staff, not guessers as is the case here. The product is ok the garage network is appalling.

...no details at to why...performance...dimensions...specs.....

...just to take your word for it....and payyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.........

Or you could go to the http://www.ford.co.th and see all the details regarding performance, dimensions and specs, as well as the prices. In assessing "a vehicle's strength and weakness in terms of reliability, depreciation and ownership experience", I suspect the judging panel did just that when they selected the Ford Ranger as Pickup of the Year.

Top scores from a Thai candidate that will have cost ford a few Baht everything has a price in Thailand even an opinion an for a Thai judgement of a vehicle as good it would go well to the back of my choice of cars I will just stick to Euro NCAP ratings for my safety rating of a car before I purchase .

Top scores from a Thai candidate that will have cost ford a few Baht everything has a price in Thailand even an opinion an for a Thai judgement of a vehicle as good it would go well to the back of my choice of cars I will just stick to Euro NCAP ratings for my safety rating of a car before I purchase .

Great idea, except that NCAP rates very few pickups for safety. In 2015, they only rated:

Nissan Navara with a safety rating of 79% for the driver and 78% for occupants.

Mitsubishi L200 with a safety rating of 81% for the driver and 84% for occupants.

The last Ford Ranger rating was for the 2012 model year, and it received safety ratings of 96% for the driver and 86% for passengers.

Sounds like the Ford Ranger would be your choice then.

Has the highest Aus rating and the previous, less safe model, had the highest NCAP rating. Enjoy your new Ranger - I'm loving mine.

Do you still have to pay 80,000 baht extra to bump yourself to the front of the line? Is the after sale service going to improve? coffee1.gif

Hasn't been the case since about 2012 and after sales service on the couple that I have owned has been excellent at two different dealerships.

...said the chap with rapier wit who will be back in a moment with the fix or repair daily comment.

Hourly.gigglem.gifthumbsup.gif

Ford has always looked good on the initial rounds of sampling → JD Power scores....

But as time marches on the scores are not so kind....

But initially they have almost always gotten good marks....

You mentioned JD power - so put up some proof. Thai data please.

Ford has always looked good on the initial rounds of sampling → JD Power scores....

I think he's still stuck in the 1950s in the US.

You mean the user who posted that. Or Toyota technology?

You mean the user who posted that. Or Toyota technology?

Well there you go J - attempting to think again.....

In the 50's I was still playing little league - which was fun as they made me play + 3-4 years my age....

So - you really think the builds in Thailand are better than in the US?

I gave classes to cross manufacturered service personnel....My favorite days were the ones where they shared notes and common fails among their represented lines....The domestic guys always started with a puffy pride - but left educated as to what the differences really were....More than a few resumes changed hands going to the import side as the classes ended.....

I will agree the new Ford has a fresh new sexy look for LOS....That will be enough to sway some into buying them - mostly expats....It's probably also enough - coupled with Toyota's already strong sales to help bring down some of the used markets resale values for second hand vehicles.....

Finding 5 year old feedback (JDP) on a new line of truck in Thailand ? Time will tell.....

IF Ford can pull it's weight and the farm people start buying them 3-4-5 years down the road for the same abuse they heap on the Toyo's - then they've got something special going....

Thai's don't put much effort into CSI - reporting or service side wise.....

The proof will be in the years to come when/if you see them working Thai fields with the cages/loads & animals on the back....

Right now all they are is a nice fancy look at me flash/slash mall crawlers.....And judging by these threads the expats/farangs are quite taken with them....they're distinctive....

Going to be in the middle of nowhere the next couple of weeks down around the outskirts of Suphan Buri (no wifi).....Even out at the farms more than a few are driving Benz & Volvo around....So - there's some Thai money there - I'll count up the new Fords that I see......

Thinking maybe more are to be seen around the more densely expatted/western farang areas.....

They are a pretty truck....

Well there you go J - attempting to think again.....

In the 50's I was still playing little league - which was fun as they made me play + 3-4 years my age....

So - you really think the builds in Thailand are better than in the US?

I gave classes to cross manufacturered service personnel....My favorite days were the ones where they shared notes and common fails among their represented lines....The domestic guys always started with a puffy pride - but left educated as to what the differences really were....More than a few resumes changed hands going to the import side as the classes ended.....

I will agree the new Ford has a fresh new sexy look for LOS....That will be enough to sway some into buying them - mostly expats....It's probably also enough - coupled with Toyota's already strong sales to help bring down some of the used markets resale values for second hand vehicles.....

Finding 5 year old feedback (JDP) on a new line of truck in Thailand ? Time will tell.....

IF Ford can pull it's weight and the farm people start buying them 3-4-5 years down the road for the same abuse they heap on the Toyo's - then they've got something special going....

Thai's don't put much effort into CSI - reporting or service side wise.....

The proof will be in the years to come when/if you see them working Thai fields with the cages/loads & animals on the back....

Right now all they are is a nice fancy look at me flash/slash mall crawlers.....And judging by these threads the expats/farangs are quite taken with them....they're distinctive....

Going to be in the middle of nowhere the next couple of weeks down around the outskirts of Suphan Buri (no wifi).....Even out at the farms more than a few are driving Benz & Volvo around....So - there's some Thai money there - I'll count up the new Fords that I see......

Thinking maybe more are to be seen around the more densely expatted/western farang areas.....

They are a pretty truck....

I trust you mean well, but... smile.png

Your experience is from abroad, and you even acknowledge "domestic" "puffy pride" yourself. Surely that's not a factor for the Thai workers here.

No brand in Thailand sells any of their models to "mostly expats". Indeed expat sales don't even register as a blip on the radar. Not one brand would miss them if they were gone - hence why companies like Nissan, Isuzu, don't even attempt to make English language versions of their website anymore - and the ones that do pretend to support English, only do half a job (even Ford). It's just not important.

Farm usage / Farmer sales are not necessarily a meaningful barometer, unless you dig deeper with your analysis - pickups have a huge price range from 500K to 1.2M, and a widely varying customer base as a result. Farmers are generally looking for the most payload they can modify their pickups for. Fleets are looking for the best price, high end models generally go to private 'lifestyle' buyers - so on, so forth. Even then you need to decide yourself: is a good pickup defined by base model, low profit sales, or sales of their high profit 'halo' models?

The Ranger has been on sale in Thailand since 2011 - the version being talked about now is just a minor change with some styling, suspension and tech upgrades. Yes, too early for a 5-year JD Power report, so your earlier assertion they aren't doing so well long term is just your imagination right? :D However, I suppose we can see how well they're standing the test of time in the market by looking at used prices I guess. Try it, I think you will be very surprised wink.png

Edited by IMHO