overstay record?

My Mrs showed me a post on FB .One of her friends on there had a visit from her husband and he overstayed by 5 weeks. From what I can gather one he left the country she was visited in the village by the police from the local tambon office. She was handed a fine of 800 baht and was throwing a bit of a wobbler on FB about it . 800 baht is about £15 to £16 , so not bad for 5 weeks £3 per week.

My Mrs showed me a post on FB .One of her friends on there had a visit from her husband and he overstayed by 5 weeks. From what I can gather one he left the country she was visited in the village by the police from the local tambon office. She was handed a fine of 800 baht and was throwing a bit of a wobbler on FB about it . 800 baht is about £15 to £16 , so not bad for 5 weeks £3 per week.

Unlikely its anything to do with overstaying. Sounds like a fine for failing to report him living there. 800 is the standard fine for failing to submit a TM30.

• Like 1

<snip >

The posters on here that react with angry outbursts only seem to have other westerners in their mind, when they think about overstayers. Really I don't think they care about overstay laws per se, they just use it as another way to lash out and elevate themselves above other western expats, because they're insecure about their own existence in the country. It's the same in threads about living here on tourist visas, insurance, backpackers, digital nomads, pretty much every topic.

< snip >.

Maybe so -- but then there is a coterie of persons on ThaiVisa who routinely post in a manner that those who live here on perpetual tourist visas, work as digital nomads under-the-radar to the envy of those who don't, and proclaim that they 'self-insure' in the Insurance Forum are somehow more clever than those who sheepishly follow the spirit of the rules or laws and not just the letter.

should of black listed forever, total disrespect for visa laws and Thailand

Oh how holier than thou. Does it actually affect you what overstayers do? You do not pay their rent or bills so it should not affect you. Take a chill pill and relax. Why are so many so bitter on here to people? Must live a bloody horrible life.

It bothers me. I think the current penalty/fine is ridiculous. Many if not most people put a lot of effort and money into staying in the country legally, maintaining documents, funds, traveling to immigration offices, etc. in order to meet the requirements that the dodgers dodge.

Oh how holier than thou. Does it actually affect you what overstayers do? You do not pay their rent or bills so it should not affect you. Take a chill pill and relax. Why are so many so bitter on here to people? Must live a bloody horrible life.

It bothers me. I think the current penalty/fine is ridiculous. Many if not most people put a lot of effort and money into staying in the country legally, maintaining documents, funds, traveling to immigration offices, etc. in order to meet the requirements that the dodgers dodge.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

... and so what if I choose to hate'em both?

Ur right why should a 14year over stayer get in any trouble. Why should we look down upon him? Just because he broke the law (one that responsible) people like some of us follow, didnt have to do his part with immigration you get what im saying....yeah right im going to cut anybody who overstays even a gram of slack. Not in this lifetime actually if I knew of a person that had overstayed for such a length of time I would have turned him in 13 years ago. If i have to go through immigration every year any other person who is required better do the same. You get no sympathy from me and any of you guys who try and defend them....need to find a seat right along with them.

LOL. The Thai immigration should have a hotline where farangs can rat out on overstay farangs and get a reward.

Yes....then some one can rat out on 2fishen2 for being a curmudgeon ....which is far worse than being an over stayer....lol

• Like 1

Ur right why should a 14year over stayer get in any trouble. Why should we look down upon him? Just because he broke the law (one that responsible) people like some of us follow, didnt have to do his part with immigration you get what im saying....yeah right im going to cut anybody who overstays even a gram of slack. Not in this lifetime actually if I knew of a person that had overstayed for such a length of time I would have turned him in 13 years ago. If i have to go through immigration every year any other person who is required better do the same. You get no sympathy from me and any of you guys who try and defend them....need to find a seat right along with them.

you would turn someone in for overstaying??

Do you not think that is a little bit sad?

Did you have many friends at school???

Nay,he dobbed em all in for smokin behind the dunny.

• Like 1

You could say the same about all those African drug dealers/scammers all over the place here but they seem to be allowed to stay with no issues whistling.gif

It's not what you know,but who you know.

They can't fine her for his overstay,maybe she didn't register him as staying at her house,her responsibility.

I overstayed by one day.....tried to raise the 500 baht since my wallet was stolen at Karaoke.....and only raised 490 baht....so had to overstay another day....the next day i only raised 100 baht....

24 years later I saved up from teaching English and finally got 20,000 baht.....

as soon as i landed in london i realized i forgot my watch....and i forgot how to speak English. i am super fluent in Thai, of course...

so now i'm back.....in LOS......

Mate normally i wouldny believe it either so i asked to see his passport.He overstayed 14 years.What i cant understand his he is spending 10k up a night on the piss and other activities lives in 142sqm fully furnished grade a condo in bangkok.I did say to him what is he up to he jist smiled.He is only 35 has been on overstay since 21 yrold

• Like 1

Mate normally i wouldny believe it either so i asked to see his passport.He overstayed 14 years.What i cant understand his he is spending 10k up a night on the piss and other activities lives in 142sqm fully furnished grade a condo in bangkok.I did say to him what is he up to he jist smiled.He is only 35 has been on overstay since 21 yrold

If someones got money then overstaying is an easy option. If caught they can afford the VIP room at the IDC and would be on the first plane out as soon as the deportation paperwork was done. They'd probably only be fined 5k / 6k by the court and be free to return the next day. At little inconvenient but no consequences. Assuming this guy wants to continue living here the rule changes will force him and others to play by the rules, or at least limit the piss taking to 3 months.

Just to clarify, when you asked to see his passport, he showed you his old passport that had his entry 14 years ago but that passport, I presume, is now expired. So when he exited and paid his fine and then re-entered he had a new passport and just keeps the old passport handy as a conversation piece?

• Like 1

In clearing my overstay the entry stamp was in the expired passport but I had sent for a new British passport (before having to deal through Trendy). The entry stamp was "transferred" to the new passport along with the departure stamp and the stamp indicating length of overstay (11 years in my case) and the fine paid. I still possess the old passport so it is perfectly possible that the chap who cleared his 14 year overstay also kept his. The TM6 form was important for some reason. Perhaps when i had entered in 2003 the computer system did not record as much information as today's systems clearly do and the TM6 allowed for my entry to be found.

Well, maybe they make a transfer stamp of the original entry into the new passport, but that still isn't the same conversation item as the original stamp in the old passport with no further entries, exits, extensions or new visas. But reading all this reminds me as to what a boring existence I have.

• Like 1

Hi mates i was very drunk when he showed you have a good point but people who knew him said it was true also.I am back in bangkok again tommorow i will ask him to go through the story again with me.If i have made a mistake i will let you know.Maybe it was 4 years not 14.But he has been living here for 14.He is still onlyin his 30's.I will report back

On my last rotation in LOS I bumped into a westerner I knew in the late '90s. Had come to Thailand on a fresh passport that had already expired at the time I knew him. 1,5, or 10 year pp, I don't know. Met a girl and wanted to marry. Couldn't. Hilltribe. Moved to the village and didn't even send his passport out for a [back then] 90 day stamp "border run" for 700 baht. He ended up being a key witness in a case against his friend and turned himself in to testify. He was simply taken to a distant station with no intention to even register him until the case was over. I used take him proper food, toiletries, beer and such. All very relaxed then. He was still in when I left for work. All I heard later was that he was deported.

Now about a month ago when I asked him how long was he gone, the answer was "Never left". His new family arranged him to go free with an understanding not to try to testify. I asked if he still did his "visa runs" and he said he still "flew out" regularly. So it seems there are those out there living quietly [and illegally] out there.

For the Snitch Squad, I hope the details were sufficiently muddled, he naturally can't and doesn't live in the hilltribe village any more, I claim to have no proof of any wrongdoing by the BiB, and I only remember his given name, Alfa Zulu (no reference to Alfas or Zulus intended). I gave my number, didn't ask for his. Hopefully he will call one day. Great guy.

Sounds like a colorful character. Personally I would have no interest in snitching on anybody. But given his colorful past, I would not want to be by happenstance in his company when things might become more than colorful.

Edited by JLCrab

If looking for record overstays, you probably need to consider old Burmese who have been here since they were babies. My guess is that you could easily find some of them on 60+ years of overstay. I dread to think what happens to them if they are picked up and deported. At their age, trying to sneak back in could be really difficult, and they probably could not go back to the town or village they have spent their whole lives.

The posters on here that react with angry outbursts only seem to have other westerners in their mind, when they think about overstayers. Really I don't think they care about overstay laws per se, they just use it as another way to lash out and elevate themselves above other western expats, because they're insecure about their own existence in the country. It's the same in threads about living here on tourist visas, insurance, backpackers, digital nomads, pretty much every topic.

Anyway I'd have thought there were some Hill tribe people that are technically 'stateless', but live here with no issues.

the problem with the overstayers is, it affects everybody. At some point, somebody in the Thai chain of command or the immigration office gets upset and starts instituting tougher controls that affect everybody. People took advantage of the system, and now everybody gets hurt.

Just to clarify, when you asked to see his passport, he showed you his old passport that had his entry 14 years ago but that passport, I presume, is now expired. So when he exited and paid his fine and then re-entered he had a new passport and just keeps the old passport handy as a conversation piece?

The stamp from 14 years ago would have been transferred to the new passport prior to departure. The new passport would therefore show details of the overstay.

I've come across stories like this before, btw. I once heard of a westerner with a 25 year overstay.

I also reckon there must be at least half a million Laos, Burmese and Cambodians living in Thailand for decades with no documentation. They just blend in, get jobs, get married, and stay here.

A few years back I knew a very wealthy Englishman who almost got engaged to a Patpong prostitute. She was Burmese and had no visas, documentation or anything.