Thai moving to UK- Help!

Hi Guys,

Been living in Malaysia for the last ten years, married to a Thai lady for the last 5, we have two kids 2yr and 4yr (both have British passports).

Looks like next year we will be moving back to the UK.

Does anyone have any advice on what visa she will need and how to apply? (She already has a 5 year social visit pass). Been doing a bit of reading up but there seems to be a lot of different visas available.

If anyone has been through this and would care to point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful.

Thanks.

If your wife is intending to permanently live in the UK then there is only one class of visa that suits her needs, a Settlement Visa.

She will need to apply online, meet the financial requirements, pass an English test and a TB test.

If she's legally resident in Malaysia then she can apply there http://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/malaysia/vfsglobalintroduction.html

There are numerous threads on the settlement process and a pinned topic at the top of the forum - whilst this ii in the process of being updated, the basics are correct.

One more question... I'm assuming the English test can be done anywhere regardless of country of application? Example being, we will apply from Thailand, but take the English test in kuching Malaysia... I assume that certificate will be good for an application made from Thailand?

You can take the test anywhere.

theoldgit and 7x7 have given you good advice, as always. But be sure that you meet the financial requirements. You may meet the requirements by employment income in Malaysia, but you haven't given any detail of your status there. If you don't meet the requirements by employment income, then there are various other ways that you can do it. You will receive better advice if you give some background ( if you want to, that is ).

Tony M

In which case you will come under 5.2. Category A: With current employer for 6 months or more – overseas sponsor returning to the UK of the financial requirement.

I suggest that you read that carefully, as well as the specified evidence appendix, to make sure you have all the evidence required and it is in the required format.

ECOs have very little discretion on the evidence submitted with an application. If a specified piece of evidence is missing they do have the option of requesting it; but anecdotal reports suggest that they don't exercise that option very often and usually simply refuse!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks again guys for all the input.

After looking into this, it seems you can apply for a similar visa from inside the UK (although the application is different)

My wife currently has a multi entry visa, valid for 5 years.

Whats to stop us from entering on this visa, and then applying for permission to remain?

Has anyone done this? and is there anything I have over looked?

Thanks again guys for all the input.

After looking into this, it seems you can apply for a similar visa from inside the UK (although the application is different)

My wife currently has a multi entry visa, valid for 5 years.

Whats to stop us from entering on this visa, and then applying for permission to remain?

Has anyone done this? and is there anything I have over looked?

Multi entry visas are a form of visit visa and cannot be converted to other types of visa within the UK. So the answer is, the application for leave to remain will be rejected and you will have lost a lot of money!

I think that you are looking at Apply to remain in the UK with family.

As you can see from Eligibility:

You can apply to extend or switch in any of these routes if you’re eligible, except if you have permission to be in the UK:

So as your wife would be in the UK as a visitor she is not eligible for this, and as Bob says any application would be a waste of money as it would be refused.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

The visa application is well under way... english test passed, TB test completed.

We are filling out the online application now, and was looking for some advice-

Under the personal travel details it asks for details of foreign trips taken outside the home country within the last 10 years.

Do you need to list every trip? point being we go to Brunei every other week for shopping etc, hundreds of entry /exit stamps in her passport...Do they all need to be listed?!

There's a box for additional information on the application at the end, you could state that you have over X visits to Brunei for shopping, and as such haven't listed them all. They will have her passport with the application anyway, so you might be better just to list the latest trip to Brunei, plus other countries in the required boxes. imo

There's a box for additional information on the application at the end, you could state that you have over X visits to Brunei for shopping, and as such haven't listed them all. They will have her passport with the application anyway, so you might be better just to list the latest trip to Brunei, plus other countries in the required boxes. imo

Agree.

In answer to the actual question, if the software lets you, put "See additional information."​

If the software wont let you do this, leave it blank on the online form and then write it by hand on the hard copy.

In the additional information box put something like "I make regular shopping trips to Brunei with my husband; please see relevent stamps in our passports."

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

Guys- Thanks again... great info and advice!

Quick one- whats up with the visa4uk.fco.gov.uk website? been trying to get on to finish our application for a couple of days now, but it won't load...

Anyone else experiencing this? tried form a couple of different computers.. no joy

Guys, thanks again for all the help and support.

The application is going well, I've been reading up on the application process, and collected together all the documentation necessary including,

Marriage certificate (original)

Children's birth certs (originals english and Thai)

Children's UK passports (original)

All the wife's current and previous Thai passports.

Certified true copies of 6 months payslips

Certified true copies of 6 months savings statements (not required for the financial requirement, but I added them in anyway)

Job offer in the UK

Proof of address (mortgage doc from bank)

Life skills A1 and TB test certs (original)

All the relevant application forms/sponsorship forms.

Can anyone think of any else that should be included??!!

Thanks guys!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Folks, is the advice on this still current?  I'm going through the same situation but see that the settlement visa requires under eligibility that the person must have been living in the uk with a 'partner of a settled person' visa for at least 2 years to apply for a settlement visa.

IMG_5208.PNG

You've probably read it wrong, rather than jump on the back of a pretty old thread about somebody living in Malaysia who may not be in the same position as you, please start your own thread and ask a question with your actual details.

I'll close this thread.