Friend reports CM Imm Now Wants 800K ฿ to age 6 months. Anyone else?

NancyL

A friend just called to report his experience at Immigration Promenada today. This such a serious change that I'm starting a new thread to ask if anyone else has encountered this.

He uses the 800,000 baht bank account method to justify his retirement visa. In the morning queue he showed the Imm. officer checking documents his Bangkok Bank fixed deposit passbook, showing funds in the bank for 4 months, also a letter from the bank. The officer showed him a letter that says now funds must be in the bank for SIX months prior to application!

She did give him a queue number after he said he'd never had to bring old passbooks before and he tried to appeal his case to the officer processing his application. That officer told him the same story, but told him to return home and put his application "on hold" until he could return with his older passbooks to show he indeed had money in the bank, but had moved it to a new account four months ago. That worked and now he's waiting for his passport to be returned this afternoon.

This was an imposition for someone who doesn't have transport and has to pay 500 baht for a round trip to Promenada.

Has anyone else encountered this new "six month aging" rule for 800,000 baht retirement visa accounts?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't their own Immigration web sites state 800,000 for 2 months intially and then for 3 months for subsequent extensions.If they are going to move the goal posts obviously proior notification is the

correct procedure on their web sites.Or is this just another CM initiative ? Who was the letter from that stated this ?

If they enforce this then many people will be forced to leave the country and re apply at a later date.

They need to see pass books to show that money goes into account and also comes out. They need to know you have a cash flow, not just the 800k this to show you are not working here but living on income from abroad. Your friend should have gotten a letter from any previous bank or show his pass books to comply with the rules.

They need to see pass books to show that money goes into account and also comes out. They need to know you have a cash flow, not just the 800k this to show you are not working here but living on income from abroad. Your friend should have gotten a letter from any previous bank or show his pass books to comply with the rules.

There has never been any such requirement,

There has never been any such requirement,

You need to tell this to Kap Choeng Immigration this as they have been requiring this for over a year.

That has never been the case in Chiang Mai and i don't think you will find it in any written rules.

200 of my 800 was only in for 3.5 months, late last week. I brought my US ATM card to show, where I got my spending money....nothing was even remotely mentioned about income/expenditures. I hope we get this riddle solved soon, as I will be shopping for FDs in a couple of months, and we can pretty much verify that a maturing FD, during the seasoning period could be a curse of death, or at least another sleepless night, and a few back and forths to a shopping mall I would be unlikely to ever go near.

Edited by bangmai

I was told by Immigration three years ago that I needed to have 800,000 baht in the bank for six months prior to renewal. Three years ago I place 800,000 baht into an account, never used that account so no 'money in' nor 'money out' in these past years, and never had any issue with Immigration requesting any other financial information.

I was told by Immigration three years ago that I needed to have 800,000 baht in the bank for six months prior to renewal. Three years ago I place 800,000 baht into an account, never used that account so no 'money in' nor 'money out' in these past years, and never had any issue with Immigration requesting any other financial information.

So, it appears the "six month rule" is several years old in Chiang Mai? That appears to be news to a number of people.

But, like you I have an 800,000 baht bank account that I haven't touched for years. One year they did ask how I support myself, and I mentioned how Hubby's pensions are enough for both of us and offered to show them the joint Bangkok Bank passbook, but they only glanced at it. It will be interesting to see what next month's retirement extension visit holds for me.

I know there is no such thing as logic here, but wasnt the 800k funds supposedly to represent you available living expenses for the following year?

if you dont have the 800k the following year then you dont get a visa....fair enough.

what i dont understand is why they are asking to see how the 800k is topped up; income,pensions; savings, nest egg,dividends; the wife; yes mine looks after me (strictly speaking!)

it seems they have got rid of the backpacker riff raff quite easily by stopping border runs; now they are targetting the ones who live here............

Do they call this ethnic cleansing?

4 months before my last extension, only had about 300,000 in my account. Brought it up to 800,000 3 months before due date.

We had just dipped below 100,000 when we transferred, and Mr K did his extension last week on the 90th day following the transfer. Not sure why so quickly, but he did with no mention.

Nothing on the visa forum, a case of an over-enthusiastic officer perhaps?

There is no requirement to show 'cash flow'.

So, it appears the "six month rule" is several years old in Chiang Mai? That appears to be news to a number of people.

But, like you I have an 800,000 baht bank account that I haven't touched for years. One year they did ask how I support myself, and I mentioned how Hubby's pensions are enough for both of us and offered to show them the joint Bangkok Bank passbook, but they only glanced at it. It will be interesting to see what next month's retirement extension visit holds for me.

Rule? Who can really say? I have no idea of ANY of the written 'rules' that may apply, but do realize that I'll have to comply with ANY 'request' made by an Immigration Officer if I want to remain in the Kingdom, regardless of its validity.

I prefer the Immigration procedures used in Japan. There is a printed form available at the Immigration Office and on line that lists all the requirements needed for each type of activity. On gathers together the required documents, including passport and a self-addressed post card, and deliver them to the Immigration Office between 9am-12:00, any day of the week. They are received by a clerk at a window, checked for completion and you leave. A few days later you receive your postcard, go to Immigration between 1:00-4:00, hand your postcard to a clerk at the window and receive your passport, stamped and valid for another three years. No waiting on lines, no queing for a number, no grilling by an Immigration Officer. It's either accepted or it's not. If your paperwork is valid, it's accepted.

In most countries Immigration "rules" are consistent nation wide.

In the land of smiles it appears that each office makes up its own.

So rather than leaving CM you could ,as an option ,move to areas that are actually happy to have you contributing to the local economy and being

a good person. I know so many expats who do voluntary work which contributes hugely to the benefit of Thais of all ages.

I know there is no such thing as logic here, but wasnt the 800k funds supposedly to represent you available living expenses for the following year?

if you dont have the 800k the following year then you dont get a visa....fair enough.

what i dont understand is why they are asking to see how the 800k is topped up; income,pensions; savings, nest egg,dividends; the wife; yes mine looks after me (strictly speaking!)

it seems they have got rid of the backpacker riff raff quite easily by stopping border runs; now they are targetting the ones who live here............

Oi, I had a bath yesterday!!!

Rule? Who can really say? I have no idea of ANY of the written 'rules' that may apply, but do realize that I'll have to comply with ANY 'request' made by an Immigration Officer if I want to remain in the Kingdom, regardless of its validity.

No, you only need comply with the instructions issued by the immigration boss in Bangkok.

Any 'funny' requests made by locals can easily be appealed.

No need to bend over ..... EVER.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

No, you only need comply with the instructions issued by the immigration boss in Bangkok.

Agreed. Plus, I'll "argue" my case if I feel they're BSing smile.png

cheesy.gifwhistling.gif

That's good to know.

Who exactly do you appeal to if they're all in cohoots at the CM office?

My experience with reports like this one is: there's almost always some underlying reason immigration having a problem with seasoning (3 months). A time account that matured and was renewed under a new account number, a short time dip below the 800k during the seasoning period, etc etc. If someone can produce a copy of the immigration letter stating '6 months', I'll be a believer.

No offense to the op.....as she's reporting second hand info.

I prefer the Immigration procedures used in Japan. There is a printed form available at the Immigration Office and on line that lists all the requirements needed for each type of activity. On gathers together the required documents, including passport and a self-addressed post card, and deliver them to the Immigration Office between 9am-12:00, any day of the week. They are received by a clerk at a window, checked for completion and you leave. A few days later you receive your postcard, go to Immigration between 1:00-4:00, hand your postcard to a clerk at the window and receive your passport, stamped and valid for another three years. No waiting on lines, no queing for a number, no grilling by an Immigration Officer. It's either accepted or it's not. If your paperwork is valid, it's accepted.

Fascinating. That's almost as relevant as oranges selling for 7 THB per Kg in Arizona, except they actually sell oranges here, too.

Hopefully, we will get to the bottom of this, but often times we don't get the whole story. They don't mention that their wife's name was on the account, or the FD matured and was renewed, or the letter was too old. OTOH, the agent activity was minimal last week, so maybe people are refusing to grease the wheels, and now some new, "new rules."

Oi, I had a bath yesterday!!!

I haven't had a bath since 2004 but I do shower once or twice a day.

My experience with reports like this one is: there's almost always some underlying reason immigration having a problem with seasoning (3 months). A time account that matured and was renewed under a new account number, a short time dip below the 800k during the seasoning period, etc etc. If someone can produce a copy of the immigration letter stating '6 months', I'll be a believer.

Yes, I know it's second hand, but I'm going to look at the passbooks in question very soon. This is a good friend.

I suspect they may have thought that he couldn't come up with earlier passbooks. Also, may have been an element of harassment because of his ethnic background. He definitely says he was shown a letter, but was too intimidated to ask to keep a copy.

While I appreciate the advice, I'm going to stick with a smile and compliance. When dealing with the law I've always found that works best for me. I'll leave the fighting to someone else. I don't need the drama.

Yes, I know it's second hand, but I'm going to look at the passbooks in question very soon. This is a good friend.

I suspect they may have thought that he couldn't come up with earlier passbooks. Also, may have been an element of harassment because of his ethnic background. He definitely says he was shown a letter, but was too intimidated to ask to keep a copy.

So now you will try to verify the information which is good. It might have been better to do that before starting all this.

And now you add intimidation and possible harassment to the pot. What is next?

Being shown a letter is meaningless, even if he read it twice being intimidated would limit comprehension.

So it may be all about nothing except an intimidated person being recognized as acting in an unusual manner and drawing extra attention, very common police behavior.

Still over obsessed with Immigration it seems. Wonderful drama, with weekly episodes.

I`ve had bankbooks that I don`t touch with large balances for years and have always shown these to immigration including an accompanying bank letter with no questions asked.

This is a serious issue that could affect a lot of people and ask Nancy to 100% clarify the circumstances, otherwise some people are going to panic.