What do you always bring back with you when you visit home?

jonesyb

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the USA I bring

a large tub or two of red licorice vines,

large containers of various spices (red pepper flakes, Smoked Salt, Cajun Seasoning, Italian Seasoning);

Two pairs of good Berkenstock sandals;

See's Candy and their assorted lollipops;

Cans of Smoked Almonds and Pistachio Nuts;

several bags of good coffee beans and espresso beans;

assorted good clothes for my Thai girlfriend (jeans, tops, skirts, Victoria Secret underwear)

Several large all beef Hard Salamis

one or two cases of good California wines (Chardonnays, Cabernets and Zinfindels)...I pay the extra duty and it is well worth it.

Also previously mentioned items like Jockey shorts, Levi Jeans, Cheeses, etc.

QUOTE:

wines (Chardonnays, Cabernets and Zinfindels)...I pay the extra duty and it is well worth it.

That is new to me.

Several posters mentioned that it is not possible to pay duty on wine imports, only 1 liter allowed.

How much duty do you pay?

And is it really duty, with receipt, or .....?

everything what you can buy in UK you can get here. Often much cheaper, often more expensive. No need to fill your suit case with stupid things.

so where do i get hhb25 honda blower and honda hedgecutter?

my brothers just been to visit for a few days and my order was,

pg tips t bags

bisto gravy powder

oxo cubes

calpol for the kids

lemsip powder

birds custerd powder

Can buy Bisto gravy and Birds custard here in Thailand.

I used to always bring back packets of Atora, but you can now buy them here.

you cant were we live possum my old mate,

any way bro was coming over and asked if i needed anything,,lol, yes i didnt have to pay him,,lol

ive just had a PM from a member telling me of a shop here in thailand that sells some good things, so ill be having a better look there,

I always bring a bottle of Patron Anejo 1750 baht at home and a bottle of Vueve Clicquot Champagne 1400 baht at home. Both cost over 300% more here. Always a new pair or two of New Balance sneakers which are also 300% more here. I have to say it's getting easier to find lots of food items here in BKK than several years ago even with the markup it's not that bad. I guess I do eat less nice cheese here but when I'm home I think I might make up for it especially the few days before I leave. Cheese is at breakfast, lunch and dinner.

everything what you can buy in UK you can get here. Often much cheaper, often more expensive. No need to fill your suit case with stupid things.

so where do i get hhb25 honda blower and honda hedgecutter?

easy as that: order it (at Honda, or, Aliexpress, ebay, or direct in Japan) Man, it's only a matter of money.

From the UK I bring. Chocolate, cheese, Robinson's cordial, crackers, bacon, sausages, kenko coffee, mcvities digestives. I go to India once a year and pick up a few boxes of tetley tea.

How do you guys store stuff like cheese and bacon? Several posters mention this. I assume the cheese is pretty hard and a flight from London is 12 hrs but door to door can easily be 16 + hours, even more with a stop.

my brothers just been to visit for a few days and my order was,

pg tips t bags

bisto gravy powder

oxo cubes

calpol for the kids

lemsip powder

birds custerd powder

Can buy Bisto gravy and Birds custard here in Thailand.

I used to always bring back packets of Atora, but you can now buy them here.

you cant were we live possum my old mate,

any way bro was coming over and asked if i needed anything,,lol, yes i didnt have to pay him,,lol

ive just had a PM from a member telling me of a shop here in thailand that sells some good things, so ill be having a better look there,

OK Jake, if there is anything special that you want, send me a PM, and maybe I can help you, I do road trips on my motorbike

and get around quite a bit.

CHEESE! Yes. I never thought of that either even though I crave it all the time.

How much red wine can I get away with bringing back with me?

Yup, I buy about 5 different kinds of cheese, about 400g each, and get them vacuum sealed. they last for many weeks in the fridge.

Underwear was on my last shopping list, plus a good selection of prepared Asian spices which are not available here. Also a good pair of training shoes, which cost AU$30 (750baht) as the price here is double or treble that for the same brand.

As Christmas was so close to my last return, I chose a few sweet goodies from ALDIs, and a nice stollen.

Lastly, a 1 litre bottle of duty free Drambui at the airport. No use getting wine as it only lasts a few days.

From the USA I bring

a large tub or two of red licorice vines,

large containers of various spices (red pepper flakes, Smoked Salt, Cajun Seasoning, Italian Seasoning);

Two pairs of good Berkenstock sandals;

See's Candy and their assorted lollipops;

Cans of Smoked Almonds and Pistachio Nuts;

several bags of good coffee beans and espresso beans;

assorted good clothes for my Thai girlfriend (jeans, tops, skirts, Victoria Secret underwear)

Several large all beef Hard Salamis

one or two cases of good California wines (Chardonnays, Cabernets and Zinfindels)...I pay the extra duty and it is well worth it.

Also previously mentioned items like Jockey shorts, Levi Jeans, Cheeses, etc.

QUOTE:

wines (Chardonnays, Cabernets and Zinfindels)...I pay the extra duty and it is well worth it.

That is new to me.

Several posters mentioned that it is not possible to pay duty on wine imports, only 1 liter allowed.

How much duty do you pay?

And is it really duty, with receipt, or .....?

I have paid 225 baht per bottle (liter) and have received a receipt. The average alcohol content is under 14% with only the old vine Zinfindels that are 14.5%. All are under the 15% guideline. I have called the Excise dept in Thailand letting them know I am bringing in wine FOR PERSONAL USE and expect to pay extra duty. They are very helpful. The number is +66 02 241 5600.

Edited by Guy360

Whats with everyone bringing Levi jeans? There are other makes you know! and the same quality. Also Thailand has the best food I have tasted I would buy nothing food related from the UK. And Coffee beans? Really? The stuff is made grown here and from what I can see, for the same quality it's about the same price if not cheaper.....confused!