Pheu Thai attacks Prayut govt

webfact

Pheu Thai attacks Prayut govt
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- PHEU Thai Party left no stone unturned in attacking the Prayut government in its review yesterday on the country’s overall situation this year.

The party summed up several topics, in which it claimed to offer constructive criticism for national benefit.

The party questioned the Prayut regime's sincerity to combat corruption as the government itself faces graft allegations. These include an allegation that it sought to buy expensive microphones for the Cabinet meeting room each priced at Bt140,000, although the government has argued that it had not yet signed a purchasing contract.

Graft agencies also failed to check irregularities in funds allocated to the Bt5-million tambon support project.

The latest scandal includes claims of corruption in the construction of Rajabhakti Park in Prachuap Khiri Khan, which is now under investigation.

Pheu Thai also blamed the government for the country's prolonged economic slump, saying it lacked understanding and the competency to address economic woes.

Major factors that drive the economy, such as domestic consumption, foreign investment and exports, have dropped with a continuing bleak outlook because of several trade problems, such as the EU removing its Generalised System of Preferences, or GSP. The government had failed, Pheu Thai said, to negotiate a free-trade agreement with the EU partly because Thailand is not ruled by a democratic government.

Foreign investors have also shifted production bases for high-technology industries to Vietnam, the party claimed.

Business people running small and medium-sized enterprises had been forced to close down operations. This was because people lacked purchasing power as the price of agricultural produce had slumped, the party said. Yet the government failed to replace any subsidy programmes after scrapping the rice-pledging scheme.

Tourism, meanwhile, had grown in quantity and not quality, because there were fewer high-spending tourists.

The party also lashed out over alleged human rights violations and discrimination committed by the Prayut government, saying it had prevented people from checking claims of graft by government officials. Political rallies and meetings are banned, the PM can exercise absolute control through Article 44 of the interim charter, and freedom of expression as well as media freedom were suffering a clamp-down, it said.

Foreign confidence in the country had eroded, the party said, as the world community wanted a return to democracy.

The government was also confused about drafting a democratic charter, Pheu Thai claimed, adding that the new Constitution Drafting Commission was drawing up a new charter with undemocratic ideas. The party also accused the government of failure to bring about concrete reform and reconciliation. It claimed double standards in the justice system, plus unfair transfers of state officials.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Pheu-Thai-attacks-Prayut-govt-30275473.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-23

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

didnt i hear in the last week that the required graft to get a government contract did go up this year from 30% to 50% of the contract value ?

Yes you did. Did you believe it on the evidence offered?

since i did also get it from a relative (Thai side) who owns a medium sized construction company and not just from the Media i do believe there is something to that ;-) .

But i was already a bit shocked to hear that for the last few years it was already 30% of the contract value ... if it would have been 30% of the expected net earnings of the contract that would have been a number i could accept for a 3. world country but 30% or now 50% of the contract value ? Thats crazy

didnt i hear in the last week that the required graft to get a government contract did go up this year from 30% to 50% of the contract value ?

since i did also get it from a relative (Thai side) who owns a medium sized construction company and not just from the Media i do believe there is something to that ;-) .

But i was already a bit shocked to hear that for the last few years it was already 30% of the contract value ... if it would have been 30% of the expected net earnings of the contract that would have been a number i could accept for a 3. world country but 30% or now 50% of the contract value ? Thats crazy

I have also heard it said by a number of Thai associates that it went from around the 20% mark years ago, up to 30-40% under Thaksin, and now is in the 40-50% range.

They are very careful in their statements.... I would say this Junta achieved nothing at all.

The country is on a fast track backwards and the gap between elite and others is getting bigger, economy is lowest ever, corruption is growing like weed.

Prayut does't have any idea about governing , not even about speaking in public.

The best new years present would be if he stepped down.

If one is to point the finger, clean hands add credibility.

lol, so true, and the dirt on these (PTP) hands is so hard and ingrained that amputation is the only way the get rid of it

Hard to believe that PTP actually considered planned wrote and seriously released that statement - maybe it was an attempt at a little holiday humour

"Thats crazy" ... and one would think ... unsustainable.

I have also heard it said by a number of Thai associates that it went from around the 20% mark years ago, up to 30-40% under Thaksin, and now is in the 40-50% range.

It's good to see that foreign tv members are once again so well informed about the ins and outs of this government, which I assume is through their Hi-So Chinese wifes, but I'm surprised that the relevant Thai anti-graft agencies are unable to get the same information.

It's good to see that foreign tv members are once again so well informed about the ins and outs of this government, which I assume is through their Hi-So Chinese wifes, but I'm surprised that the relevant Thai anti-graft agencies are unable to get the same information

I can't speak for anyone else, but there's no wife for me, hi-so, Chinese or otherwise.

It's not hard to be "informed" here when you run a business and have to deal with Thai Government organizations, military and/or and "private" businesses. Shady, thieving and underhanded is the norm.

Better unclean hands than an intellectual lobotomy.

Yes, I feel so much better being robbed by smart criminals.

At least those criminals were legally elected, and there were checks and balances in place. Today we have a self imposed junta with article 44, attitude adjustment sessions, only one side allowed to demonstrate etc, etc, etc,etc,

But hey, anything as long as it's not Thaksin, right?

Edited by MZurf

First honest statement I have heard coming from Phua Thai. The times they are a changin...

You are joking right? Or are you really that naive?

Simply PT having a go, and hoping they will one day be back on top of the shit heap and in control off the trough.

What did they do about fighting corruption? Oh yes, they had their pretty pictured with a nice anti-corruption banner and lied when challenged on anything.

What did they do about people trafficking, slave workers, land encroachment by their cronies, etc etc - nowt.

I'm not suggesting that this government has done much either.

But PTP = honest cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

First honest statement I have heard coming from Phua Thai. The times they are a changin...

Honest? This statement came from perhaps the most corrupt party ever. I would call it a disingenuous statement. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

Edited by ianf

At least those criminals were legally elected, and there were checks and balances in place. Today we have a self imposed junta with article 44, attitude adjustment sessions, only one side allowed to demonstrate etc, etc, etc,etc,

Both as bad as each other perhaps? Would that be a more balanced view?

They were elected legally. And then simply let Thaksin, their party owner, dictator and paymaster, rule.

PTP were actively trying as hard as they could to dismantle checks and balances and put themselves outside and above the law, parliamentary scrutiny and public accountability.

We now have a government that came to power through a military coup, that acts only slightly differently to the previous government, who came to power as the party elected with the largest minority vote.

Does being elected mean you are above the law? Can do what ever you please? Brush critics off with lies, threats and if necessary violence?

PTP were threatening legal actions for "liking" anti-PTP comments on social media, sued cartoonists and were more than ready to use violence, intimidation and threats against the judiciary, media, and any in the public who opposed them.

PTP had the slimy Tharit and drunken thug Chalerm as their enforcers. The Junta have the Army and Navy (Air Force seem to keep out of this) as their enforcers. A bit of a no contest really.

The real issue is that there is no robust legal and justice system, no free investigative media, and no desire from either faction to change things other than whose in charge of the trough.

lol, so true, and the dirt on these (PTP) hands is so hard and ingrained that amputation is the only way the get rid of it

Hard to believe that PTP actually considered planned wrote and seriously released that statement - maybe it was an attempt at a little holiday humour

Pretty sure Dr. No has the humor market cornered with his new song, along with saying he won't be a politician...for anyone!

It's good to see that foreign tv members are once again so well informed about the ins and outs of this government, which I assume is through their Hi-So Chinese wifes, but I'm surprised that the relevant Thai anti-graft agencies are unable to get the same information.

I did some work with ADB a couple of years ago. They know that corruption is rife with most Asian countries and have a fair idea of how much of their financed public projects gets skimmed off in each country.

For Thailand, they reckoned it was 20% for years until Thaksin cranked it up to 30% the first time he was in power.

Whether that's been changed again since, I don't know.