PM Prayut urged to jail drunk drivers during festive season

webfact

A drunk rich hi-so goes to jail for the holidays....unlikely. They wouldn't have a problem chucking a farang in the slammer though...

What about a drunk, rich, hi-so Farang? That's how the fat, ugly, tattooed brigade get their women is it not?

Section 44 gives the PM absolute power but that doesn't include making the BIB do their job properly and in this instance not allowing drunk drivers to continue on having paid an ' on the spot ' fine.

It's unbelievable they would be allowed to continue driving. They keys should be taken and pay for the cost of towing the car to the police impoundment. Nothing will change until police take their jobs seriously.

Yes, like the Immigration police in Walking Street.

While we all think this idea will go nowhere, let us not forget that the Roadside breath Test is ONLY an indication that you have consumed alcohol, it does NOT show if you are over the statutory limit, nor does it say you are unfit to drive.

True there are many who do drink to excess and those should be fined a lot and incarcerated and stopped from driving any further, but thopse who like my friend who had one small whiskey in 48 hrs was not drunk but still had to pay a fine , was wrongly fined and prosecuted .

The law is quite clear but the RTP use is for nefarious reasons and it has nothing to do with safe driving I am sure .

There should be zero drinking at all if you are going to drive a vehicle or ride a motorbike.

While we all think this idea will go nowhere, let us not forget that the Roadside breath Test is ONLY an indication that you have consumed alcohol, it does NOT show if you are over the statutory limit, nor does it say you are unfit to drive.

True there are many who do drink to excess and those should be fined a lot and incarcerated and stopped from driving any further, but thopse who like my friend who had one small whiskey in 48 hrs was not drunk but still had to pay a fine , was wrongly fined and prosecuted .

The law is quite clear but the RTP use is for nefarious reasons and it has nothing to do with safe driving I am sure .

There should be zero drinking at all if you are going to drive a vehicle or ride a motorbike.

Agree 100%

Of course we won't know, but I can imagine that the local police force still on active duty during the change of years days will not be too enthusiast about needing to take care of a few dozen drunk drivers.

Imagine all the extra paperwork, imagine a few dying in jail from lack of attention.

3-7 days in jail is not long enough,when drunk people get in their

cars and trucks,they know (unless they are extremely stupid) that

they are taking the lives of themselves,passengers,and other

road users in their hands,so if anyone is hurt or killed,its premeditated,

a motor vehicle in their hands is a dangerous weapon,no different to

a gun or knife.and should be taken a LOT more seriously,BUT wont.

regards Worgeordie

It would take a huge leap of faith on my part to believe that these particular Thais recognize their actions as detrimental to the health and well-being of others.

From what I have witnessed, there seems to be a different kind of logic being exercised. It may be a result of nurture as opposed to nature. No pain, minimal loss of face, all gain.

It may also be described as "illogic".

I'd love to hear Thais debate these matters.

My friend just had a brand new CRV. Then he got caught driving drunk for the 2nd time and they took his license for 3 months.

He had to go to work by taxi and won't let it happen again for sure.

Like he would worry about the police checking it again. Had they taken his CRV it would be a different story. Not having a drivers license only cost a few 100 baht as a fine. They should lock up people who drink and drive.

A Thai friend of mine was breathalyzed coming out of chaing mai early morning he came up positive and was locked up for the night and fined 6000bt plus 3 month suspension

Post removed.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.