Testing for allergies to Thai food in Bangkok

dblaisde

Hi All,

I've got clear evidence of allergies to Thai food, especially from places that serve mostly to Thais. It may be oyster sauce, MSG, who knows? The symptoms are lack of energy, nausea, and belly pains, but *not* diarrhea. When I'm this way, all I feel like doing is lying in bed. I've had prolonged bouts of this (months with these symptoms), before I realized the problem. One or two days of farang food, and I felt like a million again. And this isn't limited to one particular restaurant.

So, are there good doctors, hospitals or clinics for this type of testing? I'd like to isolate the allergen additive so I can select the right foods and also tell the restaurant not to use such-and-such in preparing my food.

Thanks in advance

The symptoms described do not (in my opinion) indicate "clear evidence" of allergy to anything !

However , testing is available here

https://www.samitivejhospitals.com/en/centers/allergy-center/

I should have added also that I'm allergic to many other things, including dogs, cats, mold, pollens (and these aren't simple allergies but cause a life threatening 'allergy induced asthma')...but I've never had food allergies and I'm 69 so I'd think I wouldn't now. But it *is* possible to develop new allergies through exposure. (In fact it takes time in any allergy for one's body to become sensitive and develop a reaction.)

Thanks for the link. Bumrungrad has an allergy center too, but I'd like to know a place that tests for food allergies specifically. I've taken many "complete" allergen tests in my past (including Bumrungrad's) but they never included food substances.

EDIT: My apologies. The web page you link to *does* say they test food allergies.

Edited by dblaisde

your symptoms sound like lactose intolerance.

But wouldn't I have to be consuming dairy products for that? (I don't).

Ur right about that. It could be an intolerance to a specific food I doubt allergy as your symptoms seem to be mild. In order to figure this out you would have to eat a meal and then wait a few days to see if symptoms appear. You would have to document everything you ate or was used in cooking. A tall task at best. Over the years, I have developed an intolerance to dairy products (I still eat) and of all things beef. Both give me the same symptoms you have experienced

The symptoms described do not (in my opinion) indicate "clear evidence" of allergy to anything !

I should have added also that I'm allergic to many other things, including dogs, cats, mold, pollens (and these aren't simple allergies but cause a life threatening 'allergy induced asthma')...but I've never had food allergies and I'm 69 so I'd think I wouldn't now. But it *is* possible to develop new allergies through exposure. (In fact it takes time in any allergy for one's body to become sensitive and develop a reaction.)

Thanks for the link. Bumrungrad has an allergy center too, but I'd like to know a place that tests for food allergies specifically. I've taken many "complete" allergen tests in my past (including Bumrungrad's) but they never included food substances.

EDIT: My apologies. The web page you link to *does* say they test food allergies.

Immune responses can take many years to develop. However, once they are fully developed even one molecule of the causative agent is enough to trigger a reaction.

What is your response to other cuisines, such as Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, Italian, French, German etc.? It would be easier to isolate the allergen if a common ingredient in both was the culprit.

No need to thank me for providing an excuse for a restaurant tour.biggrin.png

More than likely Gastritis from street food.

I have had this as well as Typhoid fever in the 8 years here. my tolerance is decreasing with the years, also exacerbated by alcohol, or the many other stomach irritants such as coffee, fried food, blah, blah.

Funny, with so many allergies already, your best remedy is to go home & stay there. Don't know any Thais with allergies in their country, thus they won't have any "real" allergy practitioners. Like Psychologists in Thailand, they're not real (educated), only put in place for the Farangs (white foreigners).

Most food problems here are from either the fiery hot spice/chillies or the (bad) chemical abundant sauces/beer or foods cleaned in tap water. As I'm not passionate about backpackers (always give wrong directions), if you eat food off a street stall, it's the same as eating food off the street.

I after a bowel operation last year, suddenly found myself having these same symptoms. I decided to ask for my food without MSG (Chaw rot) or eat farang food. No problems when I do this. In fact I know the next day if MSG had been added, by design or accident, to my meal. Strange, I had no such problems prior to the op (Sigmoid colon removal).

I get similar symptoms [as been like that all day today] and not just from Thai but Japanese also.

Limit the intake of the sauces. Many foods don't need them added,especially when not used to them.

Also be aware at 'Subway' with the works and sauces, as you may be allergic to pickles or spices.

Let me know of any new outcome.

I also stay clear of any eating facility with open air cooking next to a road. With all the vehicle fumes and lack of food/personal hygiene, you don't need to increase your problems.

Edited by MRH1959

If you know what to avoid....then avoid it. being able to tell a cook here and even get half the message across is asking a lot....unless you eat your meals from high end establishments.....At your age stick to what you know is safe......Pretty easy to do it through the process of elimination. Good luck.

I too would doubt a specific allergy, it sounds more like a general preference for western food which is what your body is set up to digest by both inheritence and life experience. Likewise if you did not suffer lactose intolerance back home, it's unlikely you will in Thailand.

What you describe fits the symptoms of mild ibs, and as you have discovered requires a return to a western diet and then perhaps adding in bland Thai foods, such as noodle soups.

Thai street food tends to be short on fibre. I always have a ready supply of cereal, potatoes, wholewheat bread, beans, and bananas, the latter are particularly useful.

Certain substances can upset any stomach,eg, booze, chilli pepper, and concentrated spices, as well as concentrated fruit. In all honesty, booze appears so frequently as a culprit. The quality of beer is atrocious out here. I don't drink anymore.

Those symptoms sound like bloating. That's nasty. You might want to consider medication, such as buscopan, but don't take it from me, wait until one of the mods advises, or go to a local government hospital for a cheap consultation.

But really one can only echo what most of the other posters have said, you have discovered what you can eat, and what you can't. End of.

Edited by mommysboy

After a decade of living in Thailand I developed a skin problem....specifically on upper forearms,and extensive. Progessive proliferating epidermal cystic eruptions. Various costly comprehensive attempts at diagnosis resulted in various opinions but no diagnostic resolution. The only concensus was it appears to be an auto immune response.

Following an outside hint/suggestion I currently am totally abstaining from eating commercially produced chicken.

This has within 1month resulted in a major subsidence of symptoms.

I have noted other caucasions in various places in Thailand have similar lesions noticeable unless wearing long sleeved garments.

Unexplained but possibly related is that Thais who I know have or are suffering rheumatoid arthritis episodes are advised by Thai doctors to avoid chicken or "anything that flies".

Rheumatoid arthritis results from an auto immune response which incorrectly targets joints.....cause unspecific ! But relatively common in Thailand.

MSG was one thing I initially suspected. But reaction to that is mostly indiviually specific and relatively rare despite concerns. ( Unnecessary additive in decent food anyway!)

What I would like to make clear is that allergic versus auto immune reaction may start with similar presentations. But allergy symptoms are usually quick to appear. And usually avoiding the causes are not so quick to resolve without medcational suppression in non serious cases.

Auto immune responses can be benign or serious in outcome.

How can I say this? I am there . Thai Doctors? I wold recommend a second opinion outside of Thailand if you want a rapid resolution/diagnosis.

Surgically Thais are excellent. Diagnostics........