Drink driving motorists will have their vehicles impounded until after New Year festival

snoop1130

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess we will just have to wait and see the results (death count) at the end of the holidays. No plan is perfect

but a plan that is actually put into effect/enforcement will be new, compared to past procedures/talk which has been the norm.

My experience is that usually the " official" results of the 7 dangerous days tend to be lower than the average day throughout the year, so why should it be differnt this time?

Why are you referring to the average deaths/day, around 80, which although true has nothing to do with topic? The published statistics for the 7 days are:

New Year 2010: 347 deaths, 3,827 injuries and 3,534 accidents

New Year 2011: 358 deaths, 3,750 injuries and 3,497 accidents

New Year 2012: 336 deaths, 3,375 injuries and 3,093 accidents

New Year 2013: 365 deaths, 3,329 injuries and 3,176 accidents

New Year 2014: 341 deaths

Just maybe many drivers are at home or with friends/relatives therefore the average of 50/day would account for a lower figure. If following the trend the number should be down this year.
Edited by Anon999

How about confiscating the vehicles, reselling them, using the funds for drug and alchohol clinics. Too harsh?

Not too harsh, better to resell them and use the money to get more traffic police, train them, nab the drunk and dangerous drivers.

then start all over again.

Keep doing it, more and more trained traffic police, road fatalities will soon lower.

We all know that nothing like this will ever happen though.

Another option; Confiscated vehicles could be repainted white and brown, given to police officers to ride in and get them off those useless motorbikes. Seeing your confiscated car being driven by cops with a new paint job would add insult, shame and more punishment for your drinking and driving. That might do more to ''cure the dog from sucking eggs''

This is only for the poor...no problems if you got a nice euro car and / or connections. I really want to see this plan fully implemented, but still have my doubts if will be applied across the board. Impoundment of the vehicle for a given time + big fine should help...but only if implemented.

Last night I was at the pub with some friends getting sh!t faced drunk. When it was time to leave I staggered over to my motorcycle (Ninja650) which had two police standing beside it. I stumbled up to them, wished them a Happy New year and got on my bike and drove away.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

They would do better impounding the drivers.emergency

Better still, impound both car and driver, plus fine, plus 50 hours of active community service in the road accident emergency room of a hospital.

Edited by scorecard

Last night I was at the pub with some friends getting sh!t faced drunk. When it was time to leave I staggered over to my motorcycle (Ninja650) which had two police standing beside it. I stumbled up to them, wished them a Happy New year and got on my bike and drove away.

Wow your so smart.

Be interested in the logistics of this.

Where will the impounded vehicles be kept?

How will they get there?

What happens if a checkpoint finds 10, 20, 30 or more drunks in one day/evening/night?

The logistics are simple

"Where will the impounded vehicles be kept?"

at the cop's girlfriend's house

"How will they get there?"

Girlfriend will drive it to her home after going shopping

"What happens if a checkpoint finds 10, 20, 30 or more drunks in one day/evening/night?"

Cop get's more Girlfriends

Wow your so smart.

Obviously smarter than you if you don't know the difference between your and you're.

Wow your so smart.

Obviously smarter than you if you don't know the difference between your and you're.

You know the difference between your and you're!!

Wow you are so smart

Wow your so smart.

Wow you are so smart

Was I talking to you? Mind your own business.

Wow your so smart.

most bars I visit usually have rows of bikes outside.... A drunk farang is probably still a better driver than a sobre Thai...

The police enforce it a few times a year if ever , the rest of the year its the norm to drive home drunk, I don't mind them on scooters because they will probably only hurt themselves....

I hate seeing someone pissed driving away in a big pickup etc but if they don't listen to the police, law etc they're not going to listen to me....

I am not sure why they don't do it like the rest of the world and ban them for a year or two....

+jail for anyone who is driving while banned

:lol:

Wow your so smart.

Wow you are so smart

He's winding you up!! Edited by roo860

laugh.png

Wow your so smart.

Wow you are so smart

He's winding you up!!

Not me, I don't argue with drunks

When he talks in open forum he talks to all, if he wants a private conversation he has the PM option

Last I heard, Drunk driving was illegal, irresponsible and stupid and admitting it in open forum compounds the stupidity, In fact I believe, suggesting illegal activity is against the rules of this forum.

How about confiscating the vehicles, reselling them, using the funds for drug and alchohol clinics. Too harsh?

Not too harsh, better to resell them and use the money to get more traffic police, train them, nab the drunk and dangerous drivers.

Keep doing it, more and more trained traffic police, road fatalities will soon lower.

Another option; Confiscated vehicles could be repainted white and brown, given to police officers to ride in and get them off those useless motorbikes. Seeing your confiscated car being driven by cops with a new paint job would add insult, shame and more punishment for your drinking and driving. That might do more to ''cure the dog from sucking eggs''

Not a bad idea, there would be plenty of Farang owned 4x4's and SUV's painted brown and white, though for Farangs I think the punishment should be deportation and blacklisted from coming back to Thailand for a period of 10 years, I know many farangs that drink and have cars, they nearly all drink and drive on a regular basis. They figure it will only cost them a few thousand baht and unless they have a serious accident, they are probably right.

Strict laws would/should stop them.

Edited by Broken Record

Not a bad idea, there would be plenty of Farang owned 4x4's and SUV's painted brown and white, though for Farangs I think the punishment should be deportation and blacklisted from coming back to Thailand for a period of 10 years, I know many farangs that drink and have cars, they nearly all drink and drive on a regular basis. They figure it will only cost them a few thousand baht and unless they have a serious accident, they are probably right.

Strict laws would/should stop them.

On the previous Crackdown my Thai friend and wiIf you owe a bank a hundred thousand dollars, you've got a problem. If you owe the bank a hundred million dollars, the bank's got a problem.fe were hammered after about, 14 bottles of leo

They paid 3k I think, up from the normal 400 but he still drinks like a fish after work daily

A lengthy ban is what you need.... But nobody can enforce it :(