Drink driving motorists will have their vehicles impounded until after New Year festival

snoop1130

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have thought this would have been a Police matter not the Military ! oh thats right bringing happiness to the people. The statistics will tell whether a success or not I will put my money on a failure

The statistics will be fudged to ensure it looks like a success.

I would have thought this would have been a Police matter not the Military ! oh thats right bringing happiness to the people. The statistics will tell whether a success or not I will put my money on a failure

have the police being effective in the past Edited by casualbiker

Not that difficult to do. Put wheel locks on the tires or just park it and take the car keys away. Warn the driver not to move it until until he is legally allowed to after showing up at the Police Station and paying a fine. Take down relevant information on the owner and car and location.

Cross the names off the list as they come to collect there cars. For people who did not show up check the car location and if still there have it impounded in the Police Impound Station. If moved locate the owner and double fine him. If stolen.....tough luck.

This kind of thing is what is known the world over as a deterrent. Something Thailand has never been able to employ, with its broken judicial system. The judges here are too weak to do this kind of thing. More lip service, and more lack of action. Constant jabbering makes Johnny a very dull boy indeed.

Of course, if they were to do something like this, it would be fantastic news. Anything to increase traffic safely, would be an improvement. But, I fear they do not have it in them, to enforce the traffic laws.

Be interested in the logistics of this.

Where will the impounded vehicles be kept?

How will they get there?

What happens if a checkpoint finds 10, 20, 30 or more drunks in one day/evening/night?

Army Base

Army drivers

I wouldn't trust those teenagers in army uniforms to drive a hgv or a bus much more than the drunks they confiscated it from , most of them probably never driven anything more powerful than a Honda wave smile.png

Be optimistic,,,give them a chance,,,They are Trying !

How will they get there?

What happens if a checkpoint finds 10, 20, 30 or more drunks in one day/evening/night?

The logistics of impounding a car are much easier than that of gaoling an offender.

Once again, we see that it is likely that this forum is read by people who need good advice but can't openly admit it.

Keep that in mind, people.

So the Army is now part of he police force. Do they have the same powers of arrest and apprehension as the Police? Which other government officials/employees that we don't know about can morph into policemen/women if they want to be. I see the Navy gets mention from time to time acting out the role of policemen. The Country seems to becoming more under the control of the military while responsibilities normally assigned to the police are being removed from them. Nothing like a transference of tea money to keep the footsloggers happy and onside.

How are they even going to know if drivers are drunk ?

Saw the first road side tent today where the police will sit for the holidays as they read newspapers, watch football on TV, drink coffee , and generally sit around and BS with no thought in the world of enforcing traffic laws

I guess they expect the drunks to walk into the tent and get breathalyzed when they ask for the free water

Been

Whats wrong with jailing drunk drivers?
Taking their car away its just another reprieve and no lessons are learnt.

There's no room at the "Inn", and such a backlog with the judiciary....which is why the police like to "broker " negotiations for out-of-court settlements and society is burdened with persistent offenders.

I know what a 'drunk driver' and 'drunk driving' is. What is 'drink driver' and 'drink driving'. How did that mangled, English get into the popular lexicon here in Thailand? A little off topic, but every time I see that phrase in a newspaper or periodical in Thailand, I'm like, 'Huh?' ermm.gif

Drunk drivers to get pulled over, kicked out of vehicles during holiday

By Coconuts Bangkok

drunk_driving.jpg

A screenshot from a TV commercial discouraging drunk driving by Thai Health Promotion Foundation. Photo: Thai Health Foundation

BANGKOK:-- The National Council Peace and Order has vowed to get tough with drunk drivers during the upcoming New Year’s holiday by pulling them over and confiscating their vehicles.

Because of sky-high records of road accidents during the holiday, Gen. Theerachai Nakwanich, Commander of Royal Thai Army, said he has instructed all military units to set up road checkpoints across the country and nab drunk drivers.

If the drivers are found to be intoxicated, the officials will confiscate their vehicles, and they will have to come pick them up after the New Year's holiday.

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-12-24

I guess we will just have to wait and see the results (death count) at the end of the holidays. No plan is perfect

but a plan that is actually put into effect/enforcement will be new, compared to past procedures/talk which has been the norm.

Edited by slapout

I guess we will just have to wait and see the results (death count) at the end of the holidays. No plan is perfect

but a plan that is actually put into effect/enforcement will be new, compared to past procedures/talk which has been the norm.

My experience is that usually the " official" results of the 7 dangerous days tend to be lower than the average day throughout the year, so why should it be differnt this time?

Just be happy they are doing something, i think impounding the cars is a great thing. But like others the logistics might be a bit problematic. But at least something is done this helps a lot more as a fine because its takes them off the roads. Its not like they all got 2 or 3 cars.

At last! A reasonable, intelligent response.

I understand the problems with logistics also but absolutely great to see an implementation of a reasonable strategy.

This is not the job of the Army. They have no training in law enforcement. this is the job of the police department. Since when does the Army have the legal authority to impound anything or the power of arrest.

Every road block that I've seen has a combined force. Police and Army!

This is not the job of the Army. They have no training in law enforcement. this is the job of the police department. Since when does the Army have the legal authority to impound anything or the power of arrest.

Are you suggesting the police are trained in law enforcement????? or are you just pulling our chain with your post?

The army have and have had legal authority since that General in charge started putting things in order.

I believe that since the coup and the red-tape that accompanied it, that the military have extended powers which certainly would extend to manning checkpoints to nab drunk drivers.

But it doesn't matter if its police or soldiers on the ground doing the job, the sanction of losing your car for a couple of days is still not enough. It needs to be something like a B10,000 fine for first offence plus 6 months loss of license, with greater punishment to come if caught driving whilst disqualified. That will make the idiots think again.

How about confiscating the vehicles, reselling them, using the funds for drug and alchohol clinics. Too harsh?

Not too harsh, better to resell them and use the money to get more traffic police, train them, nab the drunk and dangerous drivers.

then start all over again.

Keep doing it, more and more trained traffic police, road fatalities will soon lower.

We all know that nothing like this will ever happen though.

How will they get there?

Simple, park the cars up, lock them and keep the keys. Then let the drunks find their own way home.

How will they get there?

Simple, park the cars up, lock them and keep the keys. Then let the drunks find their own way home.

OK until the other half turns up with the spare keys Army doesn't need the hassleshock1.gif

How will they get there?

OK until the other half turns up with the spare keys Army doesn't need the hassleshock1.gif

Well they could clamp them.