switching ISPs...what about old wire?

bangmai

I'm in an older condo and the existing line runs from the pole to my balcony...doesn't look great, but is quite practical. After two years, I found a better deal instead of 10/1; I will get 15/5 for the same price. I'm pretty sure they will run a new line to the pole. Should I get the installer to remove the old line, or leave it there? It is a bit of an obstruction. I don't have a ladder,so the new installer will be a perfect candidate for the removal. I could just pull it out, but it would be dangling from the pole, and I don't want to harm anyone else's service. Any clues or experiences? Thanks!

You don't say what the new service is, or how it's being delivered (aDSL, vDSL, sDSL, Cable DOCSIS, Fiber Optic), but some service providers will re-use existing wires when delivering service, unless the previous service is still live and the wire still in use). The other ISP usually WON'T touch a line controlled by another ISP, unless the wire has been released for re-use. So, similarly, they won't remove the line either (not knowing what the other ISP wants to do with it).

You can always ask nicely. If they're willing to spool it up and hang it on the pole, maybe slip them 200 baht for their help.

If I had to bet, I'd say the old cable will stay. They rarely remove redundant cabling, they just add, hence the tangled mess that can be seen in any Thai city or town. I've had TOT DSL, 3BB DSL and TOT Fiber, nobody ever removed anything.

Sometimes I'm amazed they can get any of it work, given that trying to find what's actually alive in the tangle of spaghetti must be practically impossible!

Edited by GinBoy2

going from 3bb to Sinet...so I believe it will involve new FO cabling.

It probably will involved installing a new cable for the new ISP service. You may require permission from your managing agent to do this and the managing agent could hold you responsible for the removal of the old cable, especially if it`s left dangling there. Best to make inquiries first and not take anything for granted.

the old cabling from the pole to the balcony will stay for now, but I will remove the part inside. The new came through the hallway, and I actually removed some from the cable tv company, and they used that hole in the door frame. I own the condo and it's in an older building, which can have its advantages. Once the company is putting is already in the building, you don't need permission or fees. Sinet did a great job.