Koh Tao: Suspects found guilty of murdering British backpackers

Jonathan Fairfield

Mr Roti is the weak link in the chain of disseat that is the prosecution case.

Where is this man? He needs to be interviewed and brought before the appeal court.

He must be a worried man, and he needs to be spoken to before he is silenced forever.

I said much the same thing last week and also asked if this man was still on Koh Tao selling "Roti's" (which I doubt) nobody responded, he is a weak link as you say, knows enough to cause problems - can't return to his home country - has a few million baht that he didn't earn selling roti's, wouldn't take much to persaude him to talk.

I suspect he is in hiding or has vanished completely, either way if I was the director of this seedy business I'd be writting him out of the script

No he is not still on Koh Tao selling roti - he never was

Never was? Interesting.....

attachicon.gifroti1.png

attachicon.gifroti2.jpg

No he never was selling roti on Koh Tao. Thank you for sending the picture of his shop on Kho Samui coffee1.gif

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AS I understand one Roti seller was from Koh Samui and one from Koh Tao

"The two translators, both street roti sellers, were brought in by police after Ko Zaw Lin and Ko Wai Phyo, both 22, were detained on October 2, 2014.

Ko Ye is from Surat Thani, while the other translator, Ko Kamar, is from Koh Tao."

"The two translators, both street roti sellers, were brought in by police after Ko Zaw Lin and Ko Wai Phyo, both 22, were detained on October 2, 2014.

Ko Ye is from Surat Thani, while the other translator, Ko Kamar, is from Koh Tao."

Thanks for the clarification. Now which of the two has MorristheRunt tracked down?

Thanks for the clarification. Now which of the two has MorristheRunt tracked down?

Any possibility you can stop trolling other posters?

Your gratitude would have sufficed, but you had to ruin it by goading another poster.

There really is no need.

You are not helping by acting like this - play nicely! wai2.gif

Your gratitude would have sufficed, but you had to ruin it by goading another poster.

There really is no need.

You are not helping by acting like this - play nicely! wai2.gif

Why am I trolling? I am genuinely interested in finding out where these roti-sellers are now and if they indeed have received a brown envelope as claimed. But nobody seems to know? All I see is copy/paste jobs mostly from mainstream media based on hearsay. Is that what investigative journalism is all about?

Yes...I agree...this is becoming rather tiresome..the tag team bs. We can't ignore certain posters by placing them on ignore as they respond to every single post. Nothing new is being posted and everyone seems to be going around in circles. No one is going to change their own personal point of view on this case so why bother? Time to grow up! MOO

Yes...I agree...this is becoming rather tiresome..the tag team bs. We can't ignore certain posters by placing them on ignore as they respond to every single post. Nothing new is being posted and everyone seems to be going around in circles. No one is going to change their own personal point of view on this case so why bother? Time to grow up! MOO

The pot and the kettle comes to mind.

My feeling is that Anonymous are quite capable of doing their own research on this and as such hardly need a list sent to them by activists from Thai Visa. You say some are on here who is that? Why is posting a list of legitimate concerns some of which will probably be used in the Appeal classified as spam to you? I have read similar concerns and similar lists in various news reports also, some of which are international. Are they also activists? Championing a cause that to many appears to be an unjust decision does not to me seem to be unreasonable. That is why their are avenues for appeal and avenues to find justice and call for justice through legal channels. I dont agree with the hacking of websites but I do agree with applying pressure, its the only way that some govenrments change a rotten and corrupt system.

Explain why the list is exactly the same (word for word) as posted by activists in September.

Always track pictures and text down to the original source and then judge if they are credible enough to share or repost.

Its not, but what has happened is they have taken certain parts from the Chris Harkins Change.org Appeal and give references links to any text at the end of their statements, quite a normal thing to do.

You can follow this link for a full transcript of their research.

http://pastebin.com/biJLFVyh

1. Sean McAnna contacted us on our Facebook page
  2. and offered to answer our questions after learning
  3. about our involvement with this case, a number of questions
  4. were asked but all answers were the same of which can
  5. be found online and his answers did not change.
  6. What Anonymous did ask Sean, was why did he believe
  7. Mon accompanied with a suggested police officer
  8. named, "Big Ears" was going to kill him?
  9. The reply we got, Anonymous does not find
  10. satisfactory, Sean's reply was he felt Mon needed a
  11. scapegoat and that they, namely the island Mafia, do
  12. not need a reason to kill someone and that they do it
  13. often.

A message from the Anonymous group more or less sums it up, it should be posted and reposted every day until the B2 are free:

Copy/paste job

Not just that, it's propaganda laundering; the message is a laundry list of so called facts of the case produced by "activists" (some of which are here) that they sent to Anonymous, who were all too happy to regurgitate. Now the "activists" point at it and say "Look at what Anonymous has to say about this!" as a means to add credibility to a list they created in the first place.

In addition to that, becoming a spam-bot is hardly the trait of a person or group capable of defending their position.

so now you are accusing TVF members here of being "Activists" and "Spam-bots" those are some pretty strong and highly offensive accusations

I said much the same thing last week and also asked if this man was still on Koh Tao selling "Roti's" (which I doubt) nobody responded, he is a weak link as you say, knows enough to cause problems - can't return to his home country - has a few million baht that he didn't earn selling roti's, wouldn't take much to persaude him to talk.

I suspect he is in hiding or has vanished completely, either way if I was the director of this seedy business I'd be writting him out of the script

Never was? Interesting.....

attachicon.gifroti1.png

attachicon.gifroti2.jpg

No he never was selling roti on Koh Tao. Thank you for sending the picture of his shop on Kho Samui coffee1.gif

Interesting. I've never been down that neck of the woods (and unlikely to ever be), On the other hand, it seems like you do live there, to the extent of knowing and being able to identify his actual stall. Revealing that.

Out of curiousity, why would the police enlist the aid of a roti seller on Koh Samui (who incidentally belonged to a different ethnic group and spoke a different dialect to the B2) and not of other Thai / Burmese speaker on KT?

Interesting. I've never been down that neck of the woods (and unlikely to ever be), On the other hand, it seems like you do live there, to the extent of knowing and being able to identify his actual stall. Revealing that.

Out of curiousity, why would the police enlist the aid of a roti seller on Koh Samui (who incidentally belonged to a different ethnic group and spoke a different dialect to the B2) and not of other Thai / Burmese speaker on KT?

As mentioned I have never set foot on Koh Tao and the last time I was on Samui was around 15 years ago. I just remember seeing captions that the shop pictured was of the roti shop of the Koh Samui roti seller. Not that it matters. Regardless of whether they could understand each others dialects I would expect that they all had Burmese as a common language.

As mentioned I have never set foot on Koh Tao and the last time I was on Samui was around 15 years ago. I just remember seeing captions that the shop pictured was of the roti shop of the Koh Samui roti seller. Not that it matters. Regardless of whether they could understand each others dialects I would expect that they all had Burmese as a common language.

Oh, no...suddenly it doesn't matter!

But first you go on splitting hairs a ton, about if the guy was from Koh Tao or Samui!

Because THAT really did matter a few hours ago...when it was convenient to your mode of distraction and nitpicking - not the fact, that there were giant problems with them, actually speaking different dialects (mind you: some older people from Isan would not understand you, if you were a Thai from Bangkok!), not being able to read or comprehend Thai!

Not the "rumor" of physical or psychological abuse (you remember: the part you would have laughed off!), not the made up "weapon" in the form of a mysteriously disappearing wine bottle...

Having watched the complete Anonymous clip linked earlier, the MO of the RTP is exactly the same no matter where murders take place. It is perceived as bad for the image to arrest a Thai.

Secondly at the earlier murders discussed which occurred in the North of Thailand, Anonymous states that the British Foreign Service did not wish to muddy the waters by disagreeing or interfering with the RTP also back then. That probably explains why the British authorities have given very mixed signals about whether they wish to be seen to be involved at Koh Tao. It also appears very much that the Metropolitan Police were mere spectators while at Koh Tao although there were earlier rumours that one of their number was able to slip his minders at one point in the trip. However there are probably many countries whose authorities are mindful of their perceived overall country to country relationship and do not wish to interfere, that is a real tragedy but probably little can be done about it.

Mr Roti is the weak link in the chain of disseat that is the prosecution case.

Where is this man? He needs to be interviewed and brought before the appeal court.

He must be a worried man, and he needs to be spoken to before he is silenced forever.

If not already silenced.....

Been away for awhile. And it seems that a large portion of this thread is aimed at 1. Proving the guilt and/or innocence of the convicted and 2. Deflecting any unwanted attention away from the two (or more) original suspects (or persons of interest).

Having said that, since the OP is about the verdict I was curious to know if the defence team has yet lodged an appeal at the Apellate Court in Bangkok. If memory serves, they said they would file an appeal within 7 days. But I haven't seen or heard anything. Any updates from those "in the know?"

Also, going back to the very beginning of the crime and subsequent investigation, I recall the police mentioning something that they were looking for at least three assailants. This statement along with the fact that they only apprehended two of the suspected assailants (along with the myriad inconsistencies in the investigation, public disclosure, and trial) leads me to believe that there is AT LEAST one more criminal at large (if, in fact, the convicted parties are guilty as found by the court). If they are not (which I don't think we will ever know), then that means there are at least three murderers out there.

In any case, I am not an expert of any kind but common sense dictates that more than two individuals would be required to commit these crimes.

I believe this very small but (now) overlooked detail is the key to finding the truth.

Why am I trolling? I am genuinely interested in finding out where these roti-sellers are now and if they indeed have received a brown envelope as claimed. But nobody seems to know? All I see is copy/paste jobs mostly from mainstream media based on hearsay. Is that what investigative journalism is all about?

I don't know if anyone supposed whether the Roti sellers took 'brown envelopes' (money under the table). It don't mean nothin'. They may have been paid for their services, similar to how translators are paid in other applications. If they were paid 'brown envelopes' it may have been 1,000 baht or something like that. Not even small potatoes compared to $12 million.

Here's how it works in Thailand- sufficient evidence to implicate the two defendants.. Just being an illegally working Myanmar National on the beach that night then later physically intimidated into a confession is sufficient evidence

The western standard, beyond a reasonable doubt... is just not the way it works here.

Sad but so very true.

Why should those poor over-worked (haha), under-subsidised (haha) cops have to waste their valuable tea-money collection time having to do anything so mundane as sealing off crime scenes, collecting and corroborating evidence, gathering proof, typing endless reports on procedures of investigation, following up on obvious leads, arresting guilty parties etc etc.

So much easier and less time-consuming to fit up a couple of innocent immigrant scapegoats and get their jollies torturing them. Now...where's that kettle?

.... leads me to believe that there is AT LEAST one more criminal at large (if, in fact, the convicted parties are guilty as found by the court). If they are not (which I don't think we will ever know), then that means there are at least three murderers out there. (snipped for brevity)

Yes I agree. At least 3 murderers and likely about 30 people who know for sure who did the crime. Likely people who know for sure: NS's g.f., NS's mom and dad, Mon definitely, at least a dozen cops including top brass, some of Mon's buddies who frequent the bars, and others.....

In most countries, it's a criminal offense to lie in court and/or not tell what one knows about a crime. In Thailand, it's a big fat mai pen rai.

More to the point can you create injuries like David had with a hoe?

NO.............

The hoe at the crime scene was very blunt and cement-encrusted, and had a large corner missing. The hoe shown by RTP was clean, newer and no corners missing. Even if RTP explained it was an example of the type of hoe used, it was far from accurate. It's akin to showing a serrated steak knife and saying it's the same as a butter knife. Some young Thais (seeking truth and justice), did an experiment after the crime. They took an old crusty hoe like the supposed murder weapon, and cut and smashed a watermelon with it. The resultant damage was nothing like the clean same-sizedpuncture wounds to David's neck and body. Indeed, I don't think Thai forensics even mentioned the stab wounds to David. Did they simply not see them?!? And the world is still waiting for Brit forensics to step forward with what they found out about David. They're on the public payroll, paid by taxpayer money, and doing thorough autopsy on a Brit citizen murdered overseas is one of their prime duties. They should have their paychecks frozen until they do their jobs. If you hired me to fix your plumbing leak and all I did was show up and leave (for 15 months), you wouldn't want to pay me, would you?

Archived