Koh Tao: Suspects found guilty of murdering British backpackers

Jonathan Fairfield

No, there isn't.

There's a screen shot showing the text "the owner of ac bar did it", which is readily exploited by people that either don't know what the context for the message was or are deliberately misrepresenting it to mean that he was referring to murders of Miller and Witheridge.

The preceding messages made what "it" referred to, he had been followed into the 7/11 and allegedly threatened, that the AC Bar owner did it, the chase/threats, not the murders.

And here you are backslapping each other over Twitter post taken out of context, you've been doing nothing but taking things out of context all this time.

I agree that McAnna was referring to his own threats, I was following on FB that night, he was terrified.

Why would some innocent and innocuous local resort manager do that ?

Most likely because a few days before he saw that two young people had been brutally murdered practically at his doorsteps and then he was told, incorrectly, that McAnna sought help for cuts the day after the murders which led him to believe that Sean McAnna had something to do with it.

Mon jumped the gun, obviously.

Umm, Mon said something like "your going to hang tonight and we're going to watch" ....

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Breaking news Jonathan Head now backing verdict

https://mobile.twitter.com/pakhead/status/682102623546118144?p=v

He reported on the trial straight after the verdict and all he kept on saying was "why didn't the defence capitalise on the DNA evidence". He seemed flabbergasted at how weak the defence teams case was, almost let down by it.

Do you know what, as all reporters do, he has clearly probed a bit deeper into this and it seems that he has turned up something absolutely compelling that shows that they were the rapists and probable murderers.

C'mon Andy, you are not going to be left behind in all this surely. I hope that J Head and A Hall are associates as he can be let in on the newly acquired info that J Head is privy to.

No wonder the UK accepted the decision immediately, they must have known the outcome based on the evidence before the judge read it out!!

you have totally blown your credibility

lol

I admit my mistake

so looks like Jonathan Head won't be getting any money from the slush fund will ask mods to remove my post as it could look like propaganda

I will click like for you admitting your error, but nothing else that had gone before - you also need to get your cohort to admit his error in believing the error and now trying to turn it into fact.

"it refers primarily to cctv footage that was never made public,"

Is it? I think you are just making assumptions.

In any case the man in the footage looks (at least the hair), very much like Wei Phyo:

attachicon.gif10255664_167427003616827_1542313092971708374_n.jpg

Hair completely covering the ear, pronounced forward pointing sideburns, the length at the back and the overall volume of the hair.

IMO anyone that denies the close similarities is not paying attention, at best.

Picture perfect match thumbsup.gif

how difficult do you think it would be to work out the height of running man in this footage, we have a fixed camera and angle, a known distance from the camera - and for added accuracy we have fixed structures in the background, I would say it could be worked out to within 1cm, not rocket science - a simple set of fixed points known distance and a couple of angles

another post that certain people would rather just went away , anybody know the height difference between B2 and Nomsod

Oh goody, they are in close correspondence with each other.

Andy Hall added 10 new photos — with อำพร สังข์ทอง and 11 others.

Now only 7 days until Koh Tao murder case verdict at 9am 24th December at Koh Samui court. Today I was briefing BBC's Asia correspondent Jonathan Head on the defense team final position in advance of
the much awaited 21 day trial verdict. The Defense Team will issue a public media statement on Koh Tao murder case Mon 21st Dec outlining again why the case against the two Myanmar migrant defendants Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo should in the opinion of the defense team be dismissed,
as summarized in our late October 2015 closing statement based on court based evidence and witness testimony. The case should be dismissed in opinion of defense team because the prosecution failed to prove in court beyond reasonable doubt any guilt on behalf of the two accused

In light of J Head admitting that he has been barking up the wrong tree - now it's Andy's turn to eat humble pie and admit he was wrong!!

If I was running this defence I'd be bringing in an expert Lawyer from outside Thailand with proven defence experience in murder trials, he doesn't need to be addressing the court just directing the existing team on what they should be contesting and how, I'm sure the Myanmar government could afford the bill

On the other hand I can't help getting the feeling that the defence held back from contesting a lot of this stuff until this case reaches a higher level through the appeals process, it could be by design

If I was running this defence I'd be bringing in an expert Lawyer from outside Thailand with proven defence experience in murder trials, he doesn't need to be addressing the court just directing the existing team on what they should be contesting and how, I'm sure the Myanmar government could afford the bill

On the other hand I can't help getting the feeling that the defence held back from contesting a lot of this stuff until this case reaches a higher level through the appeals process, it could be by design

Basically, you are saying that the defence team ran such an abysmal case that they need to be told by an expert on how to run it properly in the rerun with the appeal.

The second paragraph is completely laughable!! Have you ever heard of a defence team throwing the trial because they want to contest it in the appeal. Unreal!!

Andy Hall added 10 new photos with อำพร สังข์ทอง and 11 others.

17 December at 09:41 · Twitter ·

Now only 7 days until Koh Tao murder case verdict at 9am 24th December at Koh Samui court. Today I was briefing BBC's Asia correspondent Jonathan Head on the defense team final position in advance of

the much awaited 21 day trial verdict. The Defense Team will issue a public media statement on Koh Tao murder case Mon 21st Dec outlining again why the case against the two Myanmar migrant defendants Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo should in the opinion of the defense team be dismissed,

as summarized in our late October 2015 closing statement based on court based evidence and witness testimony. The case should be dismissed in opinion of defense team because the prosecution failed to prove in court beyond reasonable doubt any guilt on behalf of the two accused

In light of J Head admitting that he has been barking up the wrong tree - now it's Andy's turn to eat humble pie and admit he was wrong!!

Whoever decided to bring you into the team wasted the sponsor's money mate.

To whom am I really responding to?

Leave him to it, he may be a plant by the defense or at least thats the only reason I can see why he's making such a mockery of himself

Unlike Andy who used his own legal team that he is using for his defamation case

https://fccthai.com/items/1466.html

Leave him to it, he may be a plant by the defense or at least thats the only reason I can see why he's making such a mockery of himself

To use English football parlance, my advice to his team leader is: "Get him off. He's having a 'mare!"

Basically, you are saying that the defence team ran such an abysmal case that they need to be told by an expert on how to run it properly in the rerun with the appeal.

The second paragraph is completely laughable!! Have you ever heard of a defence team throwing the trial because they want to contest it in the appeal. Unreal!!

Not Thailand. It could be a face saving tactic that the trial court are seen to have supported the prosecution. While it's an extreme supposition I would not be amazed at what happens here.

Look at it from the pov that had the defence won the case the prosecution would put in an appeal. As sure as eggs are eggs plus more brown envelopes I would expect the verdict to be overturned. Welcome to Thailand.

Okay, a bit off the wall, but IMO the defence do have a chance of the verdict being overturned especially now there has been worldwide condemnation of the justice system.

Breaking news Jonathan Head now backing verdict

https://mobile.twitter.com/pakhead/status/682102623546118144?p=v

Say what!!!!!!!!!!!! - are you sure this is authentic DD or is it a spoof?

If it is for real then I wonder what has made him change his stance so dramatically?

Looking forward to see where this is heading!!

Sensational?

What is really sensational is that after numerous damning editorials in North America and Europe, after a week of growing protests in Myanmar which has resulted in the closure of the Thai consulate for a whole week, the Thai government is now advising Thais not to identify themselves as Thais when in Myanmar. How shameful is that. Thank God no one is ever going to take my nationality away from me

< snip >

Not Thailand. It could be a face saving tactic that the trial court are seen to have supported the prosecution. While it's an extreme supposition I would not be amazed at what happens here.

Look at it from the pov that had the defence won the case the prosecution would put in an appeal. As sure as eggs are eggs plus more brown envelopes I would expect the verdict to be overturned. Welcome to Thailand.

Okay, a bit off the wall, but IMO the defence do have a chance of the verdict being overturned especially now there has been worldwide condemnation of the justice system.

Flow chart template for the above:

28929020.jpg

That's the whole point. They did have outside lawyers. They had a whole team of volunteer lawyers in the UK advising on their case. They had top lawyers provided by the burmese government. They had top thai lawyers provided by the Thai government. They had a UK judge review their case and the evidence of the UK coroner, after pressure to release any information that might help them. They had top journalists and news stations all working in their favour. They had the UN human rights groups working for them. They had more than 2 million baht in donations .in the end it's obvious that the defense is trying to get them off on a technicality and had nothing of substance to offer. Mon was at the scene in the early hours. But before him wp and mm were there looking for their stuff. For me the interesting part of the appeal will be the concealment charge.

Yes wp found a phone at the scene of a double murder at 5 o'clock in the morning. He just innocently tried to hide because he was afraid of being accused of the murder he just heard about. But he's not guilty because? ?????? Sure someone will make something up to fit in there.

As the family said the evidence was overwhelming, the case was undefendable.

how difficult do you think it would be to work out the height of running man in this footage, we have a fixed camera and angle, a known distance from the camera - and for added accuracy we have fixed structures in the background, I would say it could be worked out to within 1cm, not rocket science - a simple set of fixed points known distance and a couple of angles

another post that certain people would rather just went away , anybody know the height difference between B2 and Nomsod

Actually it was you who decided to ignore his striking resemblance to the "Running Man" and to go looking for some excuse not to take notice; that's all you have left, reject actual information in favour of empty speculation.

post-70157-0-11448600-1451556786_thumb.j

I too find it strange that the DNA methods were not challenged by the defence.

Can someone remind me what the "methods" were?

was it PCR, STR or did they use AmpFLP? What method was used to create a distinction between Hannah's and the other DNA was it differential lysis or mtDNA?

How many runs were made on each sample?

How did the lab ensure there was no contamination?

Were each person's samples sent to separate labs? because clearly one labs wouldn't be expected to process all samples, without adequate time periods to remove the possibility of contamination?

Where are the results of the negative control runs - and the contamination logs?

And what about the Electropherograms (E-grams) - I mean the lab reports had all of this information right?

How about doing a google search Dr. Google?

And just for good measure lets see the sort of deliberately misleading twisting of the facts the people that want the murderers to walk away free are up to.

This is an example of what they use to mislead people into thinking Nomsod is the man in the CCTV instead of Wai Phyo:

post-70157-0-73341200-1451557739_thumb.j

Using a photo of WP after he had his hair cut... well, wouldn't you know it?, it doesn't look the same at all!
Still fails because it can clearly be seen that Nomsod's hair leaves the ear visible, and the man on the CCTV footage the hair completely cover the ear.

This picture was taken, I believe, when he was arrested, with the original hair, so to speak.

post-70157-0-86302600-1451530398_thumb.j
I have only recently found this photos, and now I can say with certainty that Wei Phyo is the "Running Man"
Edited by AleG

Your whole post is based on hyperbole..

"They had a UK judge review their case and the evidence of the UK coroner, after pressure to release any information that might help them."

That is simply not true..

The UK Judge may have reviewed the request for the handing over of the police report, and maybe even the Coroner's report.

It is not in the jurisdiction of any UK judge..

The UK police report is bound by an agreement with Thai Police.

The UK cannot get involved in any case where there is possibility of an execution.

The High Court Judge Nicholas Green said there are misgivings.

"the misgivings were such that Prime Minister David Cameron had discussed the case with his Thai counterpart Prayuth Chan-ocha."

The judge was quite clear.

https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/hq_15X0311_final.pdf

The UK cannot play any role in either the defence or the prosecution, clearly NOT reviewed by a UK judge..

He only reviewed their request for the police report, which the police objected to.

That's the whole point. They did have outside lawyers. They had a whole team of volunteer lawyers in the UK advising on their case. They had top lawyers provided by the burmese government. They had top thai lawyers provided by the Thai government. They had a UK judge review their case and the evidence of the UK coroner, after pressure to release any information that might help them. They had top journalists and news stations all working in their favour. They had the UN human rights groups working for them. They had more than 2 million baht in donations .in the end it's obvious that the defense is trying to get them off on a technicality and had nothing of substance to offer. Mon was at the scene in the early hours. But before him wp and mm were there looking for their stuff. For me the interesting part of the appeal will be the concealment charge.

Yes wp found a phone at the scene of a double murder at 5 o'clock in the morning. He just innocently tried to hide because he was afraid of being accused of the murder he just heard about. But he's not guilty because? ?????? Sure someone will make something up to fit in there.

How did MM not locate the missing guitar that he set out to find, Thr Running man was on CCtv at 05:15 approx the same time as WP was with MM

The police stated the running man was between 160-170cm tall

I think your idea of holding back is valid, why- because the first court is used to decide whether the BIB have a case to present and the 2B have a case to answer. It is fairly meaningless in the overall scheme of things and the final outcome could well be very different to the current situation.

I too find it strange that the DNA methods were not challenged by the defence.

Can someone remind me what the "methods" were?

was it PCR, STR or did they use AmpFLP? What method was used to create a distinction between Hannah's and the other DNA was it differential lysis or mtDNA?

How many runs were made on each sample?

How did the lab ensure there was no contamination?

Were each person's samples sent to separate labs? because clearly one labs wouldn't be expected to process all samples, without adequate time periods to remove the possibility of contamination?

Where are the results of the negative control runs - and the contamination logs?

And what about the Electropherograms (E-grams) - I mean the lab reports had all of this information right?

How about doing a google search Dr. Google?

I'm not a Doctor. I'm just a chap on teh interwebz

Much like the prosecution case, google returns nothing when queried about the reports, methods and data for the DNA evidence that was used against the 2 Burmese men..

How did MM not locate the missing guitar that he set out to find, Thr Running man was on CCtv at 05:15 approx the same time as WP was with MM

No, they didn't say that, they said that according to footprints on the beach they were looking for someone no more than 170 tall.

"The footprints indicated that the suspects were no more than 170 cm tall."

Footprints that obviously could had been from someone else entirely, not necessarily the "Running Man"

No, they didn't say that, they said that according to footprints on the beach they were looking for someone no more than 170 tall.

Footprints that obviously could had been from someone else entirely, not necessarily the "Running Man"

The only way you could get any useful data from the footprints would be to call in an Australian aborigine tracker, he could tell who, where, when, and why......

Picture perfect match thumbsup.gif

Not very much I would say. He is even shorter than the nurse taking the DNA swab

post-169419-0-38562400-1451558994_thumb.

Edited by asiamaster

Pol Maj Gen Kiattipong described the man as Asian-looking and about 160cm to 170cm tall

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/this-urban-jungle/cctv-video-shows-prime-suspect-in-murders-of-british-tourists-in-thailand?page=0%2C0