1. 1. Vote for your ONE top choice for Thaivisa POSTER OF THE YEAR 2015

• Crazy Chef 1
    • NancyL
    • SoiBiker
    • Transam
    • villagefarang

This poll is closed to new votes

For those who think Trans is a "mad rocker", you are right....laugh.png

But I do have another side....giggle.gif ....Think you all know what this day was and Trans doing his bit in Ubon....smile.png

attachicon.gifrememberance day.jpg

Alright....Transam once again on the high road!

That deserves a song, not by me though........whistling.gif ..........gigglem.gif

Eaton Rifles , or East End Rifles in your case.gigglem.gifcoffee1.gif

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my hobbies here in Thailand is mountain biking. My approach to riding is very similar to the way I live in Thailand. I ride a high end bike cobbled together over the years of riding from aftermarket parts chosen for the way I ride.

I ride the most beautiful trails I can find and I ride them as is. I embrace the obstacles and imperfections. Sure I try to ride the smoothest most fluid path but I do not curse the challenges which I encounter. I stop to take pictures and enjoy the beauty around me. I have no thoughts about changing or modifying the trail. If I don’t like a particular trail I find another one which I find more enjoyable.
In Thailand I try to surround myself with beauty and spend my time with intelligent, successful, worldly friends, mainly Thai, who speak softly and with a measured tone. Life is short and I don’t want to spend it complaining about things I cannot change. The weather is what it is, so I dress and build my house accordingly. The easiest thing to modify is me and my attitude, not the people or society around me.

@ villagefarang, I don't doubt that you are a long time resident, or that you posses substantial knowledge of Thailand. But the above paragraphs don't read as those of a "wordsmith", but of a pompous snob........"spend my time with intelligent, successful,(natch) worldly friends, mainly Thai, who speak softly with a measured tone" <deleted>.....this is for POTY not The Pulitzer....if I were you I would stick with being a "Bon Vivant"..".with your house in a field with a view" etc.

Sure you not Ken Dodd, another Clown, but he shows respect at least.

One of my hobbies here in Thailand is mountain biking. My approach to riding is very similar to the way I live in Thailand. I ride a high end bike cobbled together over the years of riding from aftermarket parts chosen for the way I ride.

I ride the most beautiful trails I can find and I ride them as is. I embrace the obstacles and imperfections. Sure I try to ride the smoothest most fluid path but I do not curse the challenges which I encounter. I stop to take pictures and enjoy the beauty around me. I have no thoughts about changing or modifying the trail. If I don’t like a particular trail I find another one which I find more enjoyable.
In Thailand I try to surround myself with beauty and spend my time with intelligent, successful, worldly friends, mainly Thai, who speak softly and with a measured tone. Life is short and I don’t want to spend it complaining about things I cannot change. The weather is what it is, so I dress and build my house accordingly. The easiest thing to modify is me and my attitude, not the people or society around me.

@ villagefarang, I don't doubt that you are a long time resident, or that you posses substantial knowledge of Thailand. But the above paragraphs don't read as those of a "wordsmith", but of a pompous snob........"spend my time with intelligent, successful,(natch) worldly friends, mainly Thai, who speak softly with a measured tone" <deleted>.....this is for POTY not The Pulitzer....if I were you I would stick with being a "Bon Vivant"..".with your house in a field with a view" etc.

You are of course welcome to hangout with the people you like and I will continue to do the same. No judgements from me.tongue.png

Super E-Z voting solution.crazy.gif

Mandatory voting. Like in Australia. That'll get the numbers up for sure.

How do they enforce that there? Wouldn't the Null Vote win for sure?

So you really think Milwaukee will ever allow "Null Vote" to be crowned POTY? cool.png "Null Vote" was never nominated and never went through the weeding process.

I think if null vote wins, we should accept that this year's contest was a failure and award the crown to nobody.

Anyone agree?

I just counted the NULL VOTES for last year as that wasn't done before.

NULL VOTES had the most votes. cheesy.gif

Super E-Z voting solution.crazy.gif

Mandatory voting. Like in Australia. That'll get the numbers up for sure.

How do they enforce that there? Wouldn't the Null Vote win for sure?

So you really think Milwaukee will ever allow "Null Vote" to be crowned POTY? cool.png "Null Vote" was never nominated and never went through the weeding process.

I think if null vote wins, we should accept that this year's contest was a failure and award the crown to nobody.

Anyone agree?

I just counted the NULL VOTES for last year as that wasn't done before.

NULL VOTES had the most votes. cheesy.gif

I guess you just invalidated your whole reign as POTY.

I guess you just invalidated your whole reign as POTY.

I guess as more people checked out the results in the last U.S. election (which is what a null "vote" is -- just views the results) as many more people don't vote than vote in the U.S., then "Null Vote" is U.S. president, not Obama.

Edited by Jingthing

To be honest this thread is doing more to turn me off of Thaivisa as a whole than anything I can remember in the past, the attitude of some posters is really quite amazing. I think I now better understand why the poll voting numbers are so low.

Edited by chiang mai

To be honest this thread is doing more to turn me off of Thaivisa as a whole than anything I can remember in the past, the attitude of some posters is really quite amazing.

Oh, that's very troubling. Maybe you should stop paying your subscription fees.

I hear bar stools are much better than Thaivisa.com for Thai visa advice anyway

Edited by Jingthing

To be honest this thread is doing more to turn me off of Thaivisa as a whole than anything I can remember in the past, the attitude of some posters is really quite amazing.

Might I suggest you stop reading it?

I think you've already suggested enough inappropriate things!

Oh, that's very troubling. Maybe you should stop paying your subscription fees.

I hear bar stools are much better than Thaivisa.com for Thai visa advice anyway

You know what, I think I might just do that albeit I don't do the bar/alcohol thing.

It's been really hard to keep up with this contest and with everything else I have to do in my life. I know other contestants have this problem -- CrazyChef is busy cooking up a storm for all the guests at his hotel and VillageFarang has a quota on how many miles he has to log with his mountain bike. Apparently Soi Biker and TransAm don't have similar obligations, because they've been able to keep up their post count on this thread.

I apologize to my fans. I plan to do a big reveal on the story of how Mr. Bitey got his name. Meanwhile, here's a link to another activity that's been keeping me busy. And contrary to what everyone thinks, I'm not all about being the center of attention for every activity I help to organize, nor is everything I do to help foreigners. Here is something our local Rotary club has been doing. I'm shown a few times in this video with my little role of checking the kids to see if they're color blind at our Children's Eye Clinics, something our Rotary club does in conjunction with a couple of Thai Rotary clubs.

https://www.facebook.com/peter.bell.1466/videos/10153774949979501/

This is good. Go at each other. That's what we're here to see. Red meat politics. No vegans here. Bring it on!

NancyL vs. Transam -- THE BIG SHOW!

Caption Contest time again?

Transam vs. NancyL for the prize!

post-37101-0-77965900-1451376878_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

I thought exploiting children for sympathy votes was something you considered a step too far?

They're not my own kids! And we've really tried not to show individual kids -- to make an effort to protect their privacy.

But I'm not above exploiting my own cat. Here is what Mr. Bitey looked like when we first adopted him from the soi:

post-68373-0-43581800-1451376474_thumb.j check out the ear mites in his left ear, poor thing

He was born on the side of the soi, to a mama who begged food from the restaurants that catered to the transient foreign population. He and his brothers and sisters where used to being handled at an early age by the girls in the shops, and they made an effort to find homes for them. Mama was a little too wild to settle down, however. Daddy was a big orange tom from a car repair place around the corner.

Mr. Bitey was the runt of the litter. One of the shop girls asked if we'd adopt a kitten (because she'd seen Hubby feeding the neighborhood soi cats on our front porch), but we said our landlord wouldn't permit it. But one day, we looked out the side door, into a patio with high walls and there was little Mr. Bitey. He must have developed wings to get into that patio. How could we refuse him?

So, we got him to the vet for a check-up and to clear his ear mites and contacted our landlord -- paying an extra pet deposit. The first time that Mr. Bitey used a kitty litter box instead of wanting to go back out to that patio, we knew he would be a good condo kitty and he's never been outdoors since.

post-68373-0-49726900-1451376429_thumb.j

A vote for NancyL is a vote for Mr. Bitey

Stay tuned for Part 2 -- How Mr. Bitey came to be called Mr. Bitey (it's not his REAL name you know -- just his ThaiVisa user name_