'Super' Fuel

I have a car which runs on LPG, but starts on Petrol.

I also share it with a Thai person.

He asks that we use 'Super' Fuel, meaning we use the high octane fuel as it seems to start first time, everytime on that.

Maybe it's RON 97 or 98 here?

Seems to be easier to find Rocking Horse **** then the high octane fuel.

I don't read Thai. What would be easy is if I knew the current price of 'Super' fuel, then, when driving past the Service/Gas Station sign, I can quickly glance and see if the price is displayed, thus I know that, if I need it, 'Super' is available there.

So, to cut out many of the replies,

No, I don't always ask the Thai person to buy the fuel, he's kind enough to take car of the maintenance side of things.

Yes, I do want to use the high octane fuel, even if a lower octane fuel does the job sufficiently enough.

Oh, also, what do the higher performance cars use here? The Turbos, Benzs and BMW's of the world.

Don't they need a RON 97/98 fuel?

Thanks

E85 would be a very silly choice of fuel for a vehicle that only uses it to start with given the hygroscopic nature of it not to mention the detrimental effects it can have on fuel system components that are not spec'd for use with ethanol.

Edited by Don Mega

E85 would be a very silly choice of fuel for a vehicle that only uses it to start with given the hygroscopic nature of it not to mention the detrimental effects it can have on fuel system components that are not spec'd for use with ethanol.

Thanks for that info Don Mega

I have a chinese carburetted 250cc twin bike and can never get it started after being awayfor 2 -3 months

Someone suggested using non ethanol gas and this trip it started after a while for the first time. Usually I have to get the Thai mechanic to pull it apart and get it going, then it is fine.

Never knew ethanol mix is hygroscopic.

My understanding of the subject is that octane is to reduce engine knocking, if a cur runs with out knocking at a particular octane, getting a higher octane rating fuel is just a waste of money.

But I am not an expert on the subject, perhaps some one who knows more on the subject could either confirm or correct me.

I have a chinese carburetted 250cc twin bike and can never get it started after being awayfor 2 -3 months

Someone suggested using non ethanol gas and this trip it started after a while for the first time. Usually I have to get the Thai mechanic to pull it apart and get it going, then it is fine.

Does it have a fuel bowl shut cock that you turn off and drain the carb for storage?

again not an expert but believe your problem is that some of the fuel turns, for lack of a better term, to varnish and makes the float, the metering pin or both,in your carburetor stick, a fuel stabilizer would eliminate that problem , If you are not going to use your calibrated engine for a while use gas stabilizer or open the drain plug at the bottom of your carburetor bowl and drain the fuel..

PS: Cluchclark beat me to the punch on the drain optionsmile.png

Edited by sirineou

He asks that we use 'Super' Fuel, meaning we use the high octane fuel as it seems to start first time, everytime on that.

I don't read Thai. What would be easy is if I knew the current price of 'Super' fuel, then, when driving past the Service/Gas Station sign, I can quickly glance and see if the price is displayed, thus I know that, if I need it, 'Super' is available there.

No, I don't always ask the Thai person to buy the fuel, he's kind enough to take car of the maintenance side of things.

Yes, I do want to use the high octane fuel, even if a lower octane fuel does the job sufficiently enough.

Oh, also, what do the higher performance cars use here? The Turbos, Benzs and BMW's of the world.

Thanks

As your Thai friend appears to be an expert on such matters and the fuel tank will only want filling every few weeks anyway...suggest that he does it and share the cost. Maybe a new battery would start the car first time on any fuel. Edited by JAS21

Need a bit of help, lol, just recently bought an X-Trail and 2 different salesman both told me to use "95".

In the manual it ses as follows : Do not use leaded gasoline. Using leaded gasoline will damage the three-way catalyst.

For Thailand: Use UNLEADED REGULAR gasoline or gasohol (up to E20*) of at least 91 octane (RON).

What do i use please ?

Post no. #13 says it.

Some strange advice here.

As far as I know its quite normal that a gas (LPG) driven car needs petrol in the "warm up" phase?

(at least true for the simpler/older equipment)

New battery wink.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

Need a bit of help, lol, just recently bought an X-Trail and 2 different salesman both told me to use "95".

In the manual it ses as follows : Do not use leaded gasoline. Using leaded gasoline will damage the three-way catalyst.

For Thailand: Use UNLEADED REGULAR gasoline or gasohol (up to E20*) of at least 91 octane (RON).

What do i use please ?

There is no leaded gasoline in Thailand (and maybe worldwide?).

No 98 super available (except at some Ferrari clubs, thats a rumor).

"95" is a bit short.

Could mean gasohol 95 (with 10% ethanol) or benzene 95 (no ethanol).

For such a modern/new(?) car with this manual entry there is absolutely no need to use the expensive benzene.

Gasohol 95 compared to 91: some will say it gives more power/better acceleration.

Edited by KhunBENQ

What do i use please ?

Sorry guy, seems i'm being stupid as "95" is unleaded laugh.png

My understanding of the subject is that octane is to reduce engine knocking, if a cur runs with out knocking at a particular octane, getting a higher octane rating fuel is just a waste of money.

But I am not an expert on the subject, perhaps some one who knows more on the subject could either confirm or correct me.

The simple answer is that vehicles with a higher compression ratio need fuel with a higher octane rating to avoid detonation

The simple answer is that vehicles with a higher compression ratio need fuel with a higher octane rating to avoid detonation

hence why the new model Mazda 3 is not supposed to have 91 put in the tank.

Thanks

As your Thai friend appears to be an expert on such matters and the fuel tank will only want filling every few weeks anyway...suggest that he does it and share the cost. Maybe a new battery would start the car first time on any fuel.

--- filling every 3-4 months!.

Both posts are correct.

Well, thanks for all the help, after our Christmas Day Drive, (during which I bought first ever smart phone as a present to myself), I saw the RON 95 twice, both priced about 31.32 I asked the Thai crew in the car what the translation for this was and was told that it is called 'superior'.

Great Forum, wonderfull advice thumbsup.gif

He must mean Benzene. Generally the higher the octane or Ron the harder it is to ignite and therefore to start. Any gasohol fuel will have a higher octane rating than a plain benzene.

You know, funny you say that.

I didn't put the petrol in the car last time, so have no idea what was in the tank.

The LPG is a different set-up to what I've encountered before, there is no under the dash controller, no obvious ability to run it on petrol for a 10 clicks to keep everything lubed, for this car it's just a button which which you push for an indeterminate time (I do it for 3 secs) which is supposed to prime the petrol pump and start the beast on petrol, then it switches over to gas. WHEN ... I have no idea.

So, back to DP's comment above. Everytime I've started it these past few weeks, 3 sec prime, 2-3 sec cranking, no accelerator, fires up fine. Today, with the higher octane petrol, it took maybe 10 starts. But the caveat is that my exuberant kids were mucking in the car before I got there and heavens knows that they pushed, prodded or switched!

Started fine at the Shopping Centre, then then ran a fast idle all day.

More investigation is needed me thinks.

I have 2 LPG vehicles.

What happens if you don't press the magic button? Some LPG systems i have heard have the ability to start on LPG if said button is pressed while starting. So it is possible you are stating the vehicle on LPG every time. You can tell by smelling the exhaust as it idles after having been started from cold. My one "auto" LPG vehicle des not have the start on LPG option as i tried it .

You don't have to drive for 10k on petrol. You can't unless you turn off the LPG again by pressing said button.

Simply get in the cold car and start it.

There should be a light of some description on the button or fuel level display that is flashing to tell you the LPG is on but not yet being used. As soon as the engine is warm enough to climb above "C" on the temp gauge rev the engine and it will switch to LPG and the light will stop flashing and come on to tell you that LPG is being used. If you get into the car and drive away you are using petrol until the engine is warm enough to switch

If the engine is warm it will start on petrol and switch as soon as the engine is revved. As you say it does in the shopping centre.

My manual LPG vehicle has an gas/petrol selector switch and if left in gas mode simply starts on LPG. A bit harder starting if the Thai staff do it!

I cannot get my guys to understand the "auto" LPG vehicle so I just let them start it and drive away. Nor can I get my wife to understand as she starts the engine and idles it while doing some religious incantation and uses all the petrol!

With the best will in the world your co-user knows jack sh1t. He/she got their information from a guy who has a cousin who knows a mechanic who was taught by a guy who used to grow bananas.

Put 91 gasohol in it and be done with it. If is doesn't start then then it needs a service both petrol system and LPG. If it is driven all the time on LPG bung a bottle of fuel conditioner in it to keep the petrol injectors clean.

If you tell us what the vehicle is and send us a picture of the said button and the fuel level indication display we might be able to shed a bit more light on it?

Edited by VocalNeal

I don't know anything about the fuel systems. What I do know is that a friend of mine used LPG and it always seemed to start fine on the LPG. He had a Honda Civic if that makes any difference. His system did have a switch to change back and forth but he never used it unless it ran out of LPG.

Edited by Gary A

again not an expert but believe your problem is that some of the fuel turns, for lack of a better term, to varnish and makes the float, the metering pin or both,in your carburetor stick, a fuel stabilizer would eliminate that problem , If you are not going to use your calibrated engine for a while use gas stabilizer or open the drain plug at the bottom of your carburetor bowl and drain the fuel..

PS: Cluchclark beat me to the punch on the drain optionsmile.png

Thanks for the info Sirineou and Clutchclark

I have been turning the petrol off and running the carb dry before going away.

A few weeks before i got the bike checked and said I had a start problemand they stripped the carb out. The Thai mechanic mimed to me and showed the water he had taken out of the carb.

So I'll keep my fingers crossed