Thai Sales People With Perfect English

I met a Thai girl up in Isan a few months ago, uneducated, drop out of school at 12. met an english guy, got married, spent 3 years in england, had very good english with a hint of an english accent, marriage sort of split, and she was back in Burriram, Nong Ki, singing in a Karoke bar.

Now she was confident as hel_l, was at school for forigners in englang to learn enhlish and computers, and probably if interested could do my call job for a reasonable monthly salary.

Though she was thinking of getting nack to husband so may be back in england now.

But that proves there are people around.

A littler 12 year old, with ok english, in pattaya, today as I sat outside Starbucks , sold me some stupid rubber ball toy. Now I have studied NLP selling, and this little street kid with ok english, had all the sales techniques down, and used them all on me, and in the end, I was so amazed by her "skills" and understanding of english and her confidence and assertiveness.... I bought the stupid ball for 100 bhat. LOL!/

Now she was using all these sales techniques, and do not tell me she is home at night reading books by Brian Tracy, Zig Ziglar, Tony Robbins or NLP Sales books.

If she was about 6 years older, I would have hired her on a 3 month trial with training included, on the spot!

And she was so keen to sell, facing massive rejection and rudeness from many frang tourists.

In fact my GF reckoned she may have been cambodian as her Thai GF said and a different accent.

Shows there is Talent in places, where it may not be as obvious.

One of the top Bond Traders in Salmon Brother Investment Bank, at the time of infamous Trader Michael Milken, who I think invented the "Fannie Mae" Bond, started off working with no education as a post boy in the post room, and slowed worked his way up over the years to become a famous and top earning bond trader. The book "Liars Poker" writes about him.

It goes to show.... Uni Grads, who had all handed on a plate to them my mummie and daddy may not be the answer. They never were in Ireland, when had a bigger team and was regular hiring staff over there, nor in UK either.

Food for thought.

I met a Thai girl up in Isan a few months ago, uneducated, drop out of school at 12. met an english guy, got married, spent 3 years in england, had very good english with a hint of an english accent, marriage sort of split, and she was back in Burriram, Nong Ki, singing in a Karoke bar.

Now she was confident as hel_l, was at school for forigners in englang to learn enhlish and computers, and probably if interested could do my call job for a reasonable monthly salary.

Though she was thinking of getting nack to husband so may be back in england now.

But that proves there are people around.

A littler 12 year old, with ok english, in pattaya, today as I sat outside Starbucks , sold me some stupid rubber ball toy. Now I have studied NLP selling, and this little street kid with ok english, had all the sales techniques down, and used them all on me, and in the end, I was so amazed by her "skills" and understanding of english and her confidence and assertiveness.... I bought the stupid ball for 100 bhat. LOL!/

Now she was using all these sales techniques, and do not tell me she is home at night reading books by Brian Tracy, Zig Ziglar, Tony Robbins or NLP Sales books.

If she was about 6 years older, I would have hired her on a 3 month trial with training included, on the spot!

And she was so keen to sell, facing massive rejection and rudeness from many frang tourists.

In fact my GF reckoned she may have been cambodian as her Thai GF said and a different accent.

Shows there is Talent in places, where it may not be as obvious.

One of the top Bond Traders in Salmon Brother Investment Bank, at the time of infamous Trader Michael Milken, who I think invented the "Fannie Mae" Bond, started off working with no education as a post boy in the post room, and slowed worked his way up over the years to become a famous and top earning bond trader. The book "Liars Poker" writes about him.

It goes to show.... Uni Grads, who had all handed on a plate to them my mummie and daddy may not be the answer. They never were in Ireland, when had a bigger team and was regular hiring staff over there, nor in UK either.

Food for thought.

Obviously we have been at cross purposes on "perfect English".From your posts it is clear this is not what you are interested in at all.You are more interested in salesmanship where quality of English is not that essential.I think you will find many Thais who can manage this.

Incdentally you are completely wrong about Michael Milken who was educated at excellent schools, firstly at Berkeley in California, and then for his MBA at the Wharton School of Finance in Pennsylvania.

Incdentally you are completely wrong about Michael Milken who was educated at excellent schools, firstly at Berkeley in California, and then for his MBA at the Wharton School of Finance in Pennsylvania.

He was referring to Michael Lewis, not Milken. A pretty entertaining story though, read it when I was a teenager. But I think Lewis did in fact go to college and not start out in the mail room anyway (but, yes, hired by chance at a Salomon Brothers dinner party or something)... it's been awhile so I don't recall exactly. I think it's another character in the book referred to by Lewis who started in the mail room.

:o

He was referring to Michael Lewis, not Milken. A pretty entertaining story though, read it when I was a teenager. But I think Lewis did in fact go to college and not start out in the mail room anyway (but, yes, hired by chance at a Salomon Brothers dinner party or something)... it's been awhile so I don't recall exactly. I think it's another character in the book referred to by Lewis who started in the mail room.

:o

Yoo are absolutely right.Shows how easy it is to misread a post.I will try and be more careful in future!!

Yes, it was another character in the book, who started in the mail room.

He did head the bond desk though ( i think), and was one of the top traders, and famous within is own circle. and one of the top bonus earners within Salmon Bros.

Perhaps I am getting mixed up on who invented the "Fannie Mae", bond and of course we know Milken is infamous for the junk bond.

Aside from my historical getting mixed up, over 10 years since I read "Liars Poker"...yes the Author Lewis did get hired by chance ata dinner party, he was sitting beside the wife of some old director.

The point about the mail room guy, was that for success in the hard world of business, University education is often not need, and especially for sales jobs....its fire in the belly, and desire to "do it", that usually wins the day.

Yes perfect "queens english" with an award from Oxford for essay writing is not required.

Its people with the "fire in the belly" who can make calls in reasonable english, get the point across, fax over some details or email, and follow up a few days later. once they have a real lead, as in some in an company who goes "yes we need an IT Engineer right now"...then they pass the call to me.

And the USP is, I do the job 50% lower than the competition in my market, who need to charge high fees to keep big fancy offices in the expensive city business districts.

I tend to concentrate on smaller IT companies, who are usually owner managed, and who are happy with the good deal, and someone with over 10 years experience to help. I am not pretending for 1 sec to them nor anyone else that I am a global organisation with 200 office worldwide!

My name and company name is well know, and is good with many companies in Ireland.

Funny, for example I know of 2 people in Ireland one is in his 50s and has over 40 million eurp worth of property and started as a labourer on a construction site. another guy I know is a few year older than me and is 36 and owns a multi million construction company. both did had finish high school, started at the bottom digging holes, and worked their way up. Both speak in a mumbled english with strong irish regional accents (ala ISAN is in Thailand), and have a limited vocabulary, mainly populated with the <deleted> word. All the had IMO is a hard work ethic, and never give up attitude. shows what can be done!

Edited by Gerry290