Thailand hoping to attract wealthier travellers

Jonathan Fairfield

Thailand hoping to attract wealthier travellers

The Nation

BANGKOK - It may have made its name as the ultimate backpacker destination but Thailand hopes to attract a more well-heeled kind of traveller in the future, its tourism minister said Friday, as the kingdom announced record arrivals for 2015.

The vital tourism industry remains one of the few economic brightspots following a year in which the junta-led government has struggled to kickstart the kingdom’s stumbling economy.

By the end of the year Thailand will have received more than 29.6 million foreign visitors, Minister for Tourism and Sports Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul told reporters.

"Our goal is to focus on quality and how to make tourists stay longer and spend more money," Kobkarn said, adding officials would target women, luxury holiday makers and sports tourism.

This year’s tourist arrivals are a significant jump from the 24.8 million who visited in 2014 -- when the country was wracked by months of debilitating street protests and a military coup -- and 26.5 million in 2013.

"Revenue from the tourism industry accounted for 14.5 per cent of our GDP," Kobkarn said.

After years of largely impressive economic expansion during the 1990s and 2000s, Thailand’s growth has significantly slowed, leading some to dub it the sick man of Southeast Asia.

Thailand’s planning agency expects this year’s growth to be between 2.7 and 3.2 per cent, an improvement on last year’s negligible expansion but still one of the poorest performing economies in Southeast Asia.

Some independent economists have suggested growth could be as low as 2.5 per cent.

Army chief Prayut Chan-o-cha seized power in May 2014, ousting a democratically elected government that he accused of being corrupt and running costly populist policies.

But his vow to kickstart growth has largely fallen flat.

The country’s key agricultural sectors -- including rice and rubber -- have struggled with falling global prices, curbing the amount of crops produced and taking money out of Thais’ pockets.

The country also remains one of Southeast Asia’s most indebted economies, denting consumer confidence.

In a recent note to clients Capital Economics said Thailand’s tourism industry had weathered a deadly bomb attack in Bangkok in August that appeared to target ethnic Chinese tourists.

"In 2015 we estimate that tourism will contribute 2 per centage points to GDP growth. Without this boost, the economy would hardly have expanded at all," Asia economist Krystal Tan wrote.

However Tan warned that there was "almost no chance" of 2016 matching this year’s figures, citing capacity constraints -- particularly at Thailand’s already hard-pressed airports.

Tourism minister Kobkarn said she hoped Thailand could attract 32 million visitors in 2016.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-25

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wealthy well heeled people do not sit on rubbish strewn beaches, whilst gagging on the smell from the overflowing bins being rummaged through and the contents spilled onto the roads.

Most wealthy tourists are educated enough to know not to visit parks where animals are used for entertainment.

When in 'First Class' Rail carriages they don't expect to be woken all night by vendors selling food.

I would think they don't normally frequent city centre high streets being propositioned by hookers every 5 mtrs.

The list goes on an on.....Thais being as insular as they are have no conception of what a clean modern city/country/beach/national park/river/canal looks like.

Absolutely, Chinese don't spend money.... They don't take taxis. They don't drink. They don't shop. They sleep and eat.

It's getting so bad here for the police here in Patong, they are turning off the signals at major intersections in hopes to get more money from handling accidents. They just can't stop everyone everyday depending on 500 baht for no license.

Smart MF

Yawn, not this old chestnut yet again.

I will remember this the next time I am unable to enter the 7-11 in Bang Lamung because the aisles are clogged with those "high-spending" Chinese tourists wolfing down 17 Baht buns and 10 Baht Lactasoy cartons whilst hanging out for three-quarters of an hour in the 7-11 to enjoy the free aircon.

Or perhaps next time one of the real high-spending tourists docks at Laem Chabang on their cruise ship, they will not be decapitated by speed boat "captains" whilst swimming close to the beach in Pattaya. (That really happened, you know).

Is this article about attracting quality touris or a critique about the sorry state of its economy under the junta's draconian regime?

Either way, according to this report, Kobkarn's forlorn hope of 32 million visitors in 2016 is as unlikely as the planning agency's 3.2% growth.

Sports tourism? ...like jet skis? laugh.png

Stop the rip-offs and scams for a start. Thailand has made a rod for it's own back that will be hard to recover from. Ask any foreigner why they may venture to Thailand...a couple of answers spring to mind...and most of them are not the well-heeled tourists they are after.

Higher spenders or higher numbers? Fewer tourists spending two or more weeks in Thailand or more tourists spending four or five days?

If they want to attract 32m visitors next year there's only one choice and it ain't the high the "well-heeled traveller".

P.S. when will be the next similar announcement as this seems to be brought up about three times a year!

Edited by madmitch

Wealthy well heeled people do not sit on rubbish strewn beaches, whilst gagging on the smell from the overflowing bins being rummaged through and the contents spilled onto the roads.

Most wealthy tourists are educated enough to know not to visit parks where animals are used for entertainment.

When in 'First Class' Rail carriages they don't expect to be woken all night by vendors selling food.

I would think they don't normally frequent city centre high streets being propositioned by hookers every 5 mtrs.

The list goes on an on.....Thais being as insular as they are have no conception of what a clean modern city/country/beach/national park/river/canal looks like.

Or having to wipe your arse and put The paper in a bin at the side of the toilet.

How about improving the transport infrastructure and getting rid of the tuk Tula in Phuket. That might encourage more people to visit there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just yesterday I was on a local 'chicken bus' with two first time tourists. They couldn't believe how the so called International Holiday Destination (laugh.png ) that Phuket is touted to be has no International Standard public transport. They kept asking whether the chicken bus fare was just 30 baht set against the 500 they'd paid a privately owned Sontaew to actully get to town that morning.

Attract 'wealthier tourists'? Get rid of the crass ping pong shows et al for a start. Build decent infrastructure, such as walkable sidewalks. BTW, the backpackers are confined to Kao Saen only. The rest of Thsailand far too expensive. Third World country with First World prices.

How about improving the transport infrastructure and getting rid of the tuk Tula in Phuket. That might encourage more people to visit there.

Just yesterday I was on a local 'chicken bus' with two first time tourists. They couldn't believe how the so called International Holiday Destination (laugh.png ) that Phuket is touted to be has no International Standard public transport. They kept asking whether the chicken bus fare was just 30 baht set against the 500 they'd paid a privately owned Sontaew to actully get to town that morning.

Attract 'wealthier tourists'? Get rid of the crass ping pong shows et al for a start. Build decent infrastructure, such as walkable sidewalks. BTW, the backpackers are confined to Kao Saen only. The rest of Thsailand far too expensive. Third World country with First World prices.

The seedy stuff has always been around and always will. Besides it's only limited to Bangla so I doubt 1 soi is ruining it for everyone on the island. They need to:

1) not be greedy

2) rethink tuk tuk costs or get rid of them altogether

3) bring taxi costs in line with the capital

If they can do that then that's a start. Phuket is also quite expensive compared to the rest of Thailand so by comparison I'd say the tourists that are there are wealthier anyway.

Having travesty of justice verdicts when a tourist is murdered won't help.

The list of things to do to attract wealthy visitors is indeed long, with many points noted above.

The only real way to do it is to have special areas where cheapo tourists (aka Chinese or backpackers) are forbidden, and only select vendors can ply their trade.

The seedy stuff has always been around and always will. Besides it's only limited to Bangla so I doubt 1 soi is ruining it for everyone on the island. They need to:

1) not be greedy

2) rethink tuk tuk costs or get rid of them altogether

3) bring taxi costs in line with the capital

If they can do that then that's a start. Phuket is also quite expensive compared to the rest of Thailand so by comparison I'd say the tourists that are there are wealthier anyway.

Wrong on all counts. That old chestnut 'seedier side has only been limited to Bangla'. Really? I've been here 20 years and seen the proliferation of tarts bars in every corner of Phuket. Even the once pleasant Ao Chalong, Rawai and Nai Harn have been taken over by prostitutes. It's embarrassing watching tourists with strollers having to run the gamut of this scum. But suits the likes of you, doesn't it. BTW, 'wealthier tourists on Phuket'. You been to your seemingly favourite stomping ground Patong lately? Knuckle draggers, the rest predominantly Chinese on Chinese tour buses staying in Chinese hotels.

My wealthy friends and family members that came here never came back. They prefered Rajasthan and Bali. The most heard complains about Thailand:

1. Poor, hardly understandable English even in top hotels resulting in major misunderstandings and awkward issues which can not be undone by a Wai and hypocrite smile.

2. Lazy uninterested staff everywhere jumping for Thais and ignoring "wealthy farang"

3. Poor hygiene

Not my opinion, I like it here and got used to Thailand easily after spending a first sabbatical in western Africa where laziness us next level...

Absolutely, Chinese don't spend money.... They don't take taxis. They don't drink. They don't shop. They sleep and eat.

It's getting so bad here for the police here in Patong, they are turning off the signals at major intersections in hopes to get more money from handling accidents. They just can't stop everyone everyday depending on 500 baht for no license.

Smart MF

And many dont get to use their return tickets either. Well not in the area reserved for passengers anyway.

Wow some truly idiotic posts. Get rid of a few ping pong shows and we are on our way.. Really?

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

I reckon the people who have a thing against the girls fall into 2 brackets

1) are married to some western whale so can't have fun

2) have been burned so want to ruin it for the rest of us.

There are probably more areas catering to locals than tourists in all of Thailand. It's the oldest trade in the book so stop moaning. It's not like they are doing it on the beach in plain view.

Wow some truly idiotic posts. Get rid of a few ping pong shows and we are on our way.. Really?

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Indeed there are. 'Bigger Picture' not your forte. Is it.

Bringing in plane loads of cheap Chinese tourists doesn't impress wealthier tourists. You can't have both. Pick one or the other.

What drivel

Do "wealthier" people only go to destinations where there are other "wealthier" people?

Thailand has attractions that cater to a broad range of budgets. Restricting budget travellers won't result in an increase in more moneyed ones.

This incessant bitching about the Chinese is as tiresome as the bores who spout it. m

What makes farang better than the Chinese? The fact that they've a greater propensity for blowing a small fortune on marrying and breeding a prostitute? The fact that they drink to excess and disrespect the country? LOL!

The fact of the matter is this: though the Chinese come here with Chinese-owned tour operators, stay in Chinese-owned hotels and shop at Chinese-owned outlets, all those businesses employ Thais and pay taxes in Thailand.

They bring in fresh, hard currency that they exchange for THB and spend in Thailand

Tourists in Thailand should be treated as CIP's (Commercially Important Person's) as they bring a fortune into the country. However, in reality they are treated very poorly. As a number of people posting here have said they are treated poorly. Now it means jumping through hoops to get a visa. Yes we all know some people have abused the system and that has to stop but dont penalize the tourists and think they will come and spend loads of cash they wont.

Ripped off at attractions, filthy beaches, scam / violent scam artists at every beach location, Poorly maintained vehicles, untrained drivers in cars, Thai's who feel they can kill you if you beep your horn at them.

Thailand is a country with tremendous potential but the way it is handled it will never show that potential.

TAT needs to stop talking drivel and actually find out what tourists want then provide it in a safe environment.

Edited by gandalf12

Bringing in plane loads of cheap Chinese tourists doesn't impress wealthier tourists. You can't have both. Pick one or the other.

What drivel

Do "wealthier" people only go to destinations where there are other "wealthier" people?

Thailand has attractions that cater to a broad range of budgets. Restricting budget travellers won't result in an increase in more moneyed ones.

This incessant bitching about the Chinese is as tiresome as the bores who spout it. m

What makes farang better than the Chinese? The fact that they've a greater propensity for blowing a small fortune on marrying and breeding a prostitute? The fact that they drink to excess and disrespect the country? LOL!

The fact of the matter is this: though the Chinese come here with Chinese-owned tour operators, stay in Chinese-owned hotels and shop at Chinese-owned outlets, all those businesses employ Thais and pay taxes in Thailand.

They bring in fresh, hard currency that they exchange for THB and spend in Thailand

Oh okay. 'Money where mouth is' time. Book yourself into a brimming to the gunnels Chinese and report back on your experience, as others have smile.png

Yawn, not this old chestnut yet again.

I will remember this the next time I am unable to enter the 7-11 in Bang Lamung because the aisles are clogged with those "high-spending" Chinese tourists wolfing down 17 Baht buns and 10 Baht Lactasoy cartons whilst hanging out for three-quarters of an hour in the 7-11 to enjoy the free aircon.

Or perhaps next time one of the real high-spending tourists docks at Laem Chabang on their cruise ship, they will not be decapitated by speed boat "captains" whilst swimming close to the beach in Pattaya. (That really happened, you know).

LOL, I am in Phangnga and the same thing happened to me today. 7-11

I also visited the N.P. here and the mangrove area next to park is being used as a trash dump. The filth is unreal. This used to be a birding hot spot. Now? Disgraceful!

What is a wealthier tourist one with a platinum card instead of a gold card. Everyone is travelling today on the banks dime. Fly now pay later plans. When the world economy hits a wall so will tourism its the first spending to be cut by people up to their necks in debt. Every number issued by governments today are "rubber" numbers. Oil went up yesterday because the so called economists stated that oil levels would increase by a million barrels. Instead there was a 4 and a half million barrel draw down. Not even close Charlie Brown.

What drivel

Oh okay. 'Money where mouth is' time. Book yourself into a brimming to the gunnels Chinese and report back on your experience, as others have smile.png

Oh OK "avoid going off at tangent" time.

Why would I book myself into a Chinese hotel?

How would doing so disprove my point about their contribution to the Thai economy?

Would doing so prove that farangs are somehow better than Chinese?