passport not returned by visa company,overstayed.

A visa and accounting company has not returned my passport after I applied for a visa with them and it's been a long time,I was still hoping that it would eventually turn up again as I have been doing business with this office for almost 20 years.I have now given up on this .

So I need to go to my embassy to get a new passport and get out of the country,my question is that : would the embassy give me a new proper passport or only a temporary traveling document?,my previous passport, (the one the visa company took),was obtained in Bangkok at the embassy there,and I am registered as living in Thailand.

Also would there be any complications since my previous passport has disappeared,it has since expired so can't be used in any case.

Thanks for your help.

If you're sure it's gone, file a police report as "lost or stolen", just how long have you waited as it's now expired?

We don't know your nationality so exactly what your embassy will give you is unknown. Best to ask them.

You should put some pressure the company to get your passport back to you. Tell them you are going to report it as stolen.

You would have to do a police report for a lost or stolen passport in order to get a new passport at your embassy.

I cannot tell you what you what your embassy will do since each one is different.

You should not need your previous passport to apply for a replacement.

• Like 2

Have you reported the passport stolen ? Lost ?

You will need a Police report and your Embassy may indeed insist on a substantive investigation if there is a history of "lost" passports.

I expect you will be given an Emergency Travel Document valid for travel to your home country

I think some other posters may of misread this line. "Also would there be any complications since my previous passport has disappeared,it has since expired so can't be used in any case." I read it to mean that it was the passport he had before he got a new one which is the one the visa company has.

You should put some pressure the company to get your passport back to you. Tell them you are going to report it as stolen.

You would have to do a police report for a lost or stolen passport in order to get a new passport at your embassy.

I cannot tell you what you what your embassy will do since each one is different.

It has caused me to overstay so I'm reluctant to go to the police with this.

• Like 1

You will not be reporting the loss of the passport to immigration but to your local police station.

You need to contact the Embassy and ask if they will process an application for an ETD/passport without a police report.

Best you do that on Monday before the New Year holiday.

You will not be reporting the loss of the passport to immigration but to your local police station.

You need to contact the Embassy and ask if they will process an application for an ETD/passport without a police report.

ok thanks a lot for the advice.

curious what a visa company does for you?

where are they located? where are you located?

did you hand it to them in person inside their office?

i am sure there must be a good reason to use a visa company, but i would never give my passport to anyone except at the airport, bank, checking into a hotel and the immigration office.

i understand your fear about the thai police, but if you walk into the police station just to report your passport stolen, you should have no problem. Just don't say anything about the over stay or expired passport.

make sure you have a friend know you are going to the police station just in case there is a problem.

good luck.

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1

Happens often that some dodged visa agencies do the visa run for a fee with stamps out and in for Malaysia and Thailand but their is a strong chance that the stamp was stolen from immigration.

Best report your passport as stolen or lost and then re-apply a new passport from your embassy. As a matter of fact if an EU citizen has lost twice his passports in Bangkok they will only issue a travel document back IF THE TOURIST is not registered in Thailand as his official residence.

If you are going to apply for an ETD and not a new passport remember it will only be issued if you have flight tickets back to UK if that is your home country.

A new passport application will not require tickets to be shown.

If you are going to apply for an ETD and not a new passport remember it will only be issued if you have flight tickets back to UK if that is your home country.

You are wrong at about the UK ETD. There is no requirement to have a ticket back to the UK. See: https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document

Don't understand why you have waited so long for your passport, you better put some pressure on that visa company since you are in Thailand without passport and valid visa. With the new overstay rules it does not look so good. Hope u have all your receipt and paperwork from when you left the passport with the visa company that may be helpful when getting a new passport and a new visa. Good luck. Some countries like US are very suspicious when you have a second passport lost stolen and require police reports and will also do a investigation into the circumstances you lost the second passport.

I lost my passport a couple of years ago in KL, I was issued with an Emergency Passport that has 4 pages in it. I used it to travel back to Bangkok and then to Australia to get a new passport(I was going back anyway). I did need a copy of the police report, which I got in KL and there was no problem with getting the Emergency Passport.

When issued in Bangkok each ETD has the permiited journeys typed in it. It is only valid for the journeys specified and you must have tickets for those journeys. You may not need them if returning to your home country, that I'm not sure about.

I did post in the past a copy of my last one showing details . You cant just show up at the airport and fly wherever you fancy.

You are wrong at about the UK ETD. There is no requirement to have a ticket back to the UK. See: https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document

Copy

post-98036-0-48521900-1451273931_thumb.j

Copy

I see nothing to support your statement in the image you posted. The info in the link I posted clearly states you don't have to have a ticket to the UK to get a ETD.

Happens often that some dodged visa agencies do the visa run for a fee with stamps out and in for Malaysia and Thailand but their is a strong chance that the stamp was stolen from immigration.

Best report your passport as stolen or lost and then re-apply a new passport from your embassy. As a matter of fact if an EU citizen has lost twice his passports in Bangkok they will only issue a travel document back IF THE TOURIST is not registered in Thailand as his official residence.

Why comment if you are only going to write drivel ?

The application procedure differs by nationality as do the rules for issuance of an ETD.

Sweeping, incorrect generalizations help no-one.

• Like 1

Copy

I see nothing to support your statement in the image you posted. The info in the link I posted clearly states you don't have to have a ticket to the UK to get a ETD.

Your link has a section that states' confirmation of travel is required' the UK embassy ask for tickets.

As my photo the ETD is/was issued for a return journey, once only. If you need to travel again you have to show the UK embasy details of the proposed journey. They might add to the ETD or they might require you to apply for another ETD.

They also supply you with a list of countries that accept them, not all do.

That's not quite correct. If you can show you live in Thailand they will issue to neighbouring country who accept ETD e.g. Cambodia. The application for a new passport is separate to the application for an ETD (this is for UK Embassy anyway)

Edited by roath

That's not quite correct. If you can show you live in Thailand they will issue to neighbouring country who accept ETD e.g. Cambodia. The application for a new passport is separate to the application for an ETD (this is for UK Embassy anyway)

All agreed, but you still have to show confirmation of travel plans, if your destination is UK then you will have to show confirmation of that journey and that will be the only journey allowed on that ETD.

I've never heard of an embassy or consulate issuing a replacement passport without a police report, but as Singerman wrote, ask your consulate if they will do it.

Report it as lost, not stolen. This way you avoid the hassle of a police report. I lost one. I'm a Police State citizen and they gave me another 10 year valid pp, but warned me if I lose another, the next will be a 5yr and so on, as they suspect you may be selling them.