pricing by motorbike taxis and tuk tuks

Howitzer

Yes, they can charge any amount they like. It's called a capitalist market. If you don't like the price, negotiate or walk. If you're one of those who's always complaining "how expensive Thailand is getting these days" then maybe you need to get a better job, go back home, or stop drinking/smoking/eating out/etc...

It's always been like this, especially with the one-time farang passenger who has no concept of costs. Even Thais complained of escalating costs, and that's when General Happiness made it a priority to clean up mo-cy taxi inflation a year or two back; the signboards with prices and destinations in Thai went up in many places but, like most solutions of this nature, it is primarily there to help Thai commuters, not the farang. Any out-of-the-ordinary, 'special' destination is treated as a 'mao rot' and charged accordingly.

If you can't read Thai you have either to learn, get familiar with cost per distance, ask a Thai friend, pay over the odds or bargain hard.

Motor cycle taxis are regulated in Bangkok by the BMA who provide a list of destinations and fares at each motorcycle taxi rank. In your case you don't need to read Thai to get to the nearest BTS station as BTS is printed in English as BTS. The fare is up to twice that of the metered taxi since motorcycle taxis are not allowed to pick up fares on the return journey to there taxi rank. They should only pick up at their rank, hence the round trip charge. As another forum member has said, learn to read Thai, it only takes a few days to learn the 76 letter alphabet and then you can read the place names.

Interesting is the 'pricing chart' at the corner of asoke and soi cowboy, although I don't know the prices exactly, but it is still open for huge interpretation/abuse:

• There is a 40thb or so price from there to Sukh.soi 24 (1.2km)
  • There is no pricing to the other direction (towards Nana)
  • Price to sukh.soi 8 (800m) has been typically 40thb, although I am sometimes charged 50thb and once even 60thb, after arguing for some seconds that I never paid more than 50thb, it was apparent I just wasn't gonna win
  • During the day, I usually pay 60thb to sukh.soi4 (1.2km), but at night, the price often goes up to 80thb, which is just highway robbery IMO

Not sure how the prices are calculated, but these guys need to be brought in line cuz it's the wild wild east in this sector

There are often "farang" prices on motor bike taxis. I take them everyday for a 15 baht ride that I almost always simply give 20 baht bill for. Alto one time, when I had only 15 baht, the driver said "FARANG PAY 50 BAHT"; I turned to say, "NO 15 baht" and just walked away. Not advisable if there is no one around on the street however.

I find it best, these days, to not ask first because the prices are fixed as said before. Learn the fixed price. I do almost always tip a little something as I am larger than most of their customers and I just think it's right. They do make pathetic sums of money a day.

I wished other cities in the world offer this service.

And, if going more that a quick trip down a small soi, demand a helmet. And walk away if they say 'don't have'. Most do actually.

The metered taxis in Bkk are some of the cheapest for a major city in the world… I always assumed the tuk tuks there were mostly for tourists wanting to have that experience, like an amusement park ride, fares negotiable… they are not generally known as a form of transport amongst locals, but can be used that way… though in Bkk, to be open air while busses and such spew exhaust it does not look like a pleasant trip anyway..

take a taxi - make sure they put on the meter…. if you don't speak Thai, just say meter - they understand that.

I never had problems when I lived in the smoke. I got friendly with a loud crew who used to chat about footie. They weren't the closest to my apartment, but friendlier, and could look further than one fare, as I used them every day. I can read but still always paid what deemed correct.

If to be believed, these boys pay a lot for their jackets and pitches then some to the old bill, I really don't see how it's worth running a Moto taxi.

Edited by recom273

There are no fixed prices for songthaews, tuk-tuks or motorcycle taxis, although there are minimum prices. Don't get in a taxi without a meter, they are cowboy operations.

When negotiating a price, it's a good idea to have the money you want to pay in your hand so the driver of whatever can see it. That will usually clinch the deal unless your offer is too stingy, or the price set is too high.

My rule of thumb for songthaews is 50 baht max, and for tuk-tuks 100 baht max. I don't get on the back of motorcycles, at 92 kg I'm not confident a 50 kg Thai driver can be in control.

Interesting is the 'pricing chart' at the corner of asoke and soi cowboy, although I don't know the prices exactly, but it is still open for huge interpretation/abuse:

• Price to sukh.soi 8 (800m) has been typically 40thb, although I am sometimes charged 50thb and once even 60thb, after arguing for some seconds that I never paid more than 50thb, it was apparent I just wasn't gonna win
  • During the day, I usually pay 60thb to sukh.soi4 (1.2km), but at night, the price often goes up to 80thb, which is just highway robbery IMO

Not sure how the prices are calculated, but these guys need to be brought in line cuz it's the wild wild east in this sector

As you sound like a BKK regular, I'm surprised you'd pay 60 to 80 baht for a motorcycle from Soi Cowboy to Soi 4. By metered taxi it's no more than 40 to 50 baht, depending upon traffic. Plus the taxi is air-con, closed (no exhaust fumes to breath), and a lot more comfortable.

Yes, they can charge any amount they like. It's called a capitalist market. If you don't like the price, negotiate or walk. If you're one of those who's always complaining "how expensive Thailand is getting these days" then maybe you need to get a better job, go back home, or stop drinking/smoking/eating out/etc...

The "if you don't like it, go home" brigade strikes again.

What about the guy who did exactly that, then when in the UK he complained about having to pay council tax, and get a television licence,

he was told "if you don't like it, go back to Thailand".

Edited by possum1931

There are often "farang" prices on motor bike taxis. I take them everyday for a 15 baht ride that I almost always simply give 20 baht bill for. Alto one time, when I had only 15 baht, the driver said "FARANG PAY 50 BAHT"; I turned to say, "NO 15 baht" and just walked away. Not advisable if there is no one around on the street however.

I find it best, these days, to not ask first because the prices are fixed as said before. Learn the fixed price. I do almost always tip a little something as I am larger than most of their customers and I just think it's right. They do make pathetic sums of money a day.

I wished other cities in the world offer this service.

And, if going more that a quick trip down a small soi, demand a helmet. And walk away if they say 'don't have'. Most do actually.

"Not advisable if there is no one around on the street however". I thought it would be the other way around

If there was other people around and a fight started, it would probably end up with the usual six to one against the Farang.

I noticed recently in Hanoi there are metered motorbike taxis appearing on the scene. They usually hang out around bus depots and are easily recognisable and carry a spare helmet for passengers. I have used them and found them to be cheaper. I know this is nothing to do with Thailand but maybe, just maybe, there is a slim chance of them appearing here given time.

As you sound like a BKK regular, I'm surprised you'd pay 60 to 80 baht for a motorcycle from Soi Cowboy to Soi 4. By metered taxi it's no more than 40 to 50 baht, depending upon traffic. Plus the taxi is air-con, closed (no exhaust fumes to breath), and a lot more comfortable.

I find these prices strange too. When I lived there in 2010 I always paid 10 Baht in Asoke for the 600 m ride home and 15 Baht for the 800 m ride back. Has it really increased that much?

The comment is not about how there is no meter. Its about how the pricing is not consistent and open to abuse. I agree.

It's only "abuse" to folks that grew up in the nanny "the price is clearly marked and everyone pays the same marked price" states.

Here in Asia, kids learn to negotiate as soon as they can talk and carry a satang around with them.

And because they get good at it- and we shy from it, they clean our clocks in all kinds of trade negotiations. The street prices are just a microcosm.

slow down there .......... no need to pop a vessel ................