Close encounter between U.S. warship and Iranian rocket

webfact

There is no way that was an accident unless the missile malfunctioned.

The Iranians have good enough radar and guidance systems to send their missiles exactly where they intend to send them. They knew the two US ships and another coalition ship were there and they intentionally fired the rocket as a near miss. No question in my mind unless there was a malfunction.

The Iran small naval boat fired missiles in the direction opposite from the Truman et al. The Iran boat was positioned 1500 yards away from USS Truman when it launched. The unguided missiles were fired in a direction one hundred eighty degrees opposite and away from Truman.

The Iranian vessels came as close at 1,500 yards from the USS Harry S. Truman before firing the rockets in a direction away from the carrier, one U.S. military official told The Hill.

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/264409-iran-fires-off-rockets-near-us-aircraft-carrier

Not even a "near miss" here either.

Seems to me Iran was a lot closer to home than the US warship was and had a right to test fire weapons off its own shores.
And after all there is only one nation that has a track record of misfiring rockets in the Straits of Hormuz.
"In July 1988, the USS Vincennes was patrolling the strait when it shot down an Iran Air flight heading to Dubai, killing 290 people on board. The ship's crew apparently mistook the plane for an Iranian F-14 fighter."
Maybe they were giving the US fair warning not to be so trigger happy in future.

"... had a right to test fire weapons off its own shores."

If you insist on posting this nonsense, at least try to get all of it correct.

The Iranian vessel was not "off its own shores" as you state. It was in Omani waters, therefore off the shores of Oman.

From the link provided below:

"The official said the unguided rockets were fired from an Iranian navy "fast inshore attack craft" that was in Omani waters."

http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/news/middle-east/364228/iranian-navy-test-fires-rockets-near-us-carrier

Don't believe everything US officials tell you.
With the Straits of Hormuz only 29 miles wide I would suggest the Iranian navy were closer to their own shores than the USS Truman was to San Diego.

Once an oil tanker with oil bound for San Diego leaves port in the Gulf the oil is the property of whomever in San Diego purchased it.

The US 5th Naval Fleet is based in Bahrain to assure the owner in San Deigo gets his delivery. On time and as undamaged goods. The 6th Fleet is in the Med. The 7th Fleet is in the western Pacific and the 3rd Fleet is in the eastern Pacific.

There are countries and other non-state groups in the world that are murderously against the oil being delivered. Hence the conflicts and hence the global security.

Edited by Publicus

The Iranians have good enough radar and guidance systems to send their missiles exactly where they intend to send them. They knew the two US ships and another coalition ship were there and they intentionally fired the rocket as a near miss. No question in my mind unless there was a malfunction.

It was a rocket....rockets have no radar or any type of guidance system. Basically point and shoot in the right direction hoping you hit your intended target. Notoriously inaccurate.

Just propaganda BS. The Iranians gave the US sufficient warning for them not to continue if they wanted to. 1500 yards isn't even close.

If they don't want to go into harm's way, they shouldn't be calling themselves a "navy".

However, it does point out the flaw in US naval strategy, in that carriers are only useful against an enemy that can't fire back. For those that can, carriers are big fat targets.

Seems to me Iran was a lot closer to home than the US warship was and had a right to test fire weapons off its own shores.
And after all there is only one nation that has a track record of misfiring rockets in the Straits of Hormuz.
"In July 1988, the USS Vincennes was patrolling the strait when it shot down an Iran Air flight heading to Dubai, killing 290 people on board. The ship's crew apparently mistook the plane for an Iranian F-14 fighter."
Maybe they were giving the US fair warning not to be so trigger happy in future.

"... had a right to test fire weapons off its own shores."

If you insist on posting this nonsense, at least try to get all of it correct.

The Iranian vessel was not "off its own shores" as you state. It was in Omani waters, therefore off the shores of Oman.

From the link provided below:

"The official said the unguided rockets were fired from an Iranian navy "fast inshore attack craft" that was in Omani waters."

http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/news/middle-east/364228/iranian-navy-test-fires-rockets-near-us-carrier

Don't believe everything US officials tell you.
With the Straits of Hormuz only 29 miles wide I would suggest the Iranian navy were closer to their own shores than the USS Truman was to San Diego.

"With the Straits of Hormuz only 29 miles wide I would suggest the Iranian navy were closer to their own shores than the USS Truman was to San Diego.

I never questioned that part of your post. As you will notice, I only questioned the part where you claimed the Iranians fired the rocket "off its own shores",

They did not. They were in Omani waters, therefore they were not "off their own shores", they were off the shores of Oman.

The US ships were in international waters.

The only thing you have gotten correct is that the incident happened nearer Iran than San Diego.

Congratulations on your geographical expertise.

The Iran small naval boat fired missiles in the direction opposite from the Truman et al. The Iran boat was positioned 1500 yards away from USS Truman when it launched. The unguided missiles were fired in a direction one hundred eighty degrees opposite and away from Truman.

The Iranian vessels came as close at 1,500 yards from the USS Harry S. Truman before firing the rockets in a direction away from the carrier, one U.S. military official told The Hill.

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/264409-iran-fires-off-rockets-near-us-aircraft-carrier

Not even a "near miss" here either.

Agree...I doubt anything would get even close to a US aircraft carrier....the support around it would have been formidable.....out to hundreds of miles.

These things aren't just a floating airport... they are a mobile army/navy/airforce machine.... one carrier group (include the frigates,destroyers and submarines etc ) is as good or if not better than most smaller countries total armed forces.

And i believe the US has what..seven of them.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-35197480

Are you really citing an example from 27 years ago?

Why don't you talk about WWII, Korean War or Vietnam?

Or at least maybe something from this century.

That would be off topic. Iran was not involved in those conflicts.

But you are quite right. The USA has been meddling and mischief making in Iranian and Middle Eastern affairs for many decades now.

Google: USA Iran meddle for your edification

Switch "USA" with "Europe", "Russia", "etc". You'll get lots of hits on all of them. Even Google: "iran meddle". Can't single one county out for this. Everybody's involved.