Can I switch schools and keep my Education Visa?

Hello everyone,

I've been training at a Muay Thai school for 5 months now. I Have and Education Visa and after the first 3 months did another 3 month extension, my next extension date will be January 27th.

The school I'm at right now is too far away from central Bangkok and it's been a hassle traveling and going places, plus it's pretty expensive living there. I'm wanting to move to my own apartment and I found another gym near an apartment that is cheaper and also offers an ED-Visa.

I was wondering if it's possible to switch my ED-Visa over to them before my extension date in a month or if I would have to file for a new Visa and pay the 20,000thb cost for it?

Thank you!

It should be possible to do it.

You would need a letter stating you have finished your studies at your current gym on the date you go to immigration. They would cancel your current extension and issue a new one based upon supporting documents from the new one.

I assume you meant 2.000 baht not 20,000 baht for the visa.

You would need a letter stating you have finished your studies at your current gym on the date you go to immigration. They would cancel your current extension and issue a new one based upon supporting documents from the new one.

No actually the Visa cost me 2,000thb for the first 3 months, then 18,000thb for the extension to be able to stay here for an entire year. I still have to go immigration every 90 days and pay another 1,900thb.

If I have to pay 20,000thb over again then I won't do it and will just stay at my school, I'm wondering though if I can transfer over without having to pay the huge ED-Visa fee again.

No actually the Visa cost me 2,000thb for the first 3 months, then 18,000thb for the extension to be able to stay here for an entire year. I still have to go immigration every 90 days and pay another 1,900thb.

If I have to pay 20,000thb over again then I won't do it and will just stay at my school, I'm wondering though if I can transfer over without having to pay the huge ED-Visa fee again.

Any extension of stay costs 1900 Bht and that is all. The fee is payable directly to immigration.

Who did you pay 18,000 to and what for ?

Something does not seem to be right ........

Any extension of stay costs 1900 Bht and that is all. The fee is payable directly to immigration.

That is the cost of the 1 year ED-Visa, I paid it to immigration now I don't have to leave the county for 1 year. I can just stay here and check in with immigration every 3 months.

That is the cost of the 1 year ED-Visa, I paid it to immigration now I don't have to leave the county for 1 year. I can just stay here and check in with immigration every 3 months.

The fee is 1,900 Baht.

You paid 18000 to immigration? At the immigration office in Bangkok ?

Do you have a receipt ?

<deleted>, I hope you guys aren't telling me I got ripped of by my gym. Now that I think about it I paid it to them because they said they needed it to process the paper work. Here is the quote from the website.

"There is an application and processing fee of only 20,000 THB for the 1-year visa and only 1000 THB for the 3-month visa – plus two months advance gym and accommodation fees are due upfront for the one-year visa. Other expenses may include fees at the Thai embassy or consulate and travel expenses that we cannot predict, and a 1900 THB immigration fee due every 90 days (paid at the immigration office)."

<deleted>, I hope you guys aren't telling me I got ripped of by my gym. Now that I think about it I paid it to them because they said they needed it to process the paper work. Here is the quote from the website.

"There is an application and processing fee of only 20,000 THB for the 1-year visa and only 1000 THB for the 3-month visa – plus two months advance gym and accommodation fees are due upfront for the one-year visa. Other expenses may include fees at the Thai embassy or consulate and travel expenses that we cannot predict, and a 1900 THB immigration fee due every 90 days (paid at the immigration office)."

If that is what you paid the gym "for processing fee" then you were ripped off. Check inside your passport and find this "one year visa" ( It will not be there)

Have a good look in your passport and see what you actually have.

If the OP had a one year visa he would be doing a border run every 90 days to obtain a new 90 day entry. There would be no requirement/need to visit immigration or pay a 1900 Bht fee.

"Holder of this type of visa is entitled to stay in Thailand for a maximum period of 90 days. He or she may apply for an extension of stay at the Office of the Immigration Bureau and may be granted such extension for a period of one year from the date of first entry into Thailand."

Pulled from the Thai Embassy website, this is what I have since I applied for the extension after the initial 90 days.

If the OP had a one year visa he would be doing a border run every 90 days to obtain a new 90 day entry. There would be no requirement/need to visit immigration or pay a 1900 Bht fee.

"Holder of this type of visa is entitled to stay in Thailand for a maximum period of 90 days. He or she may apply for an extension of stay at the Office of the Immigration Bureau and may be granted such extension for a period of one year from the date of first entry into Thailand."

Pulled from the Thai Embassy website, this is what I have since I applied for the extension after the initial 90 days.

One year extensions of stay are usually only available to people studying at a Thai university.

Are you sure that you have a one year extension of stay ? Check the dates because it is likely you only have a 90 day extension.

One year extensions of stay are usually only available to people studying at a Thai university.

Are you sure that you have a one year extension of stay ? Check the dates because it is likely you only have a 90 day extension.

I go to Master Toddy's Muay Thai Academy, it is 1 of 2 Muay Thai schools that are able to get an ED-Visa. I have to extend it every 90 days with proof that I am still attending classes and I am accompanied with one of the trainers. I can only stay on this Visa for up to 1 year, then I either have to switch schools or just apply for a tourist visa and go on border runs every 90 days.

First of all no matter the length of study, the fee is the same, 1900฿.

Secondly the ed visa is not set to any particular school. Meaning the stamp doesn't say "Ed visa for, and then whatever the school's name". I think if you switch schools then when you go to apply for another extension along with the proper paperwork from your new school there should be no problem. As long as there is no gap of none studying between the two schools. What I mean is don't stop one school and a month later start the other school. If it shows that you stoped one school and in the same week started the next, I doubt there will be a problem.

Well, from our experience, many students come to our college with ED visas from other schools (mostly language schools).

Nine months ago we could ask Immigration to convert these to our college ED visas. But then there was a change in policy and Immigration decided that ED visas could not be converted from one school to another.

Now students have been told, by Immigration, to cancel their current visas by obtaining a letter from their former school, leave the country and obtain a new ED visa (or tourist visa and then convert tourist visa to ED visa later).

Sorry if this is not what people want to hear or believe. This is just our direct experience and knowledge.

I am not benefitting from posting this information. In fact, probably just the opposite is probably true. But I am just trying to share knowledge from direct experience with many recent cases such as this. if you want to believe someone else, I am no going to continue to debate this subject.

Edited by GoDucks

Since all ED visas are tied to a school, college or university. They are not just general. All the ED visas our students have are tied to our college.

Thats the way it works. For all schools. So the ED visas they have are "from us". Documents we give them that allow them to get their ED visa from Immigration or a Thai embassy or consulate.

And, really,this person is looking for accurate information. if you really do not know much about the subject, perhaps its best to avoid giving misinformation. Just a friendly suggestion.

Lets not make this more complicated than it really is.

Edited by GoDucks

Since all ED visas are tied to a school, college or university. They are not just general. All the ED visas our students have are tied to our college.

Thats the way it works. For all schools. So the ED visas they have are "from us". Documents we give them that allow them to get their ED visa from Immigration or a Thai embassy or consulate.

And, really,this person is looking for accurate information. if you really do not know much about the subject, perhaps its best to avoid giving misinformation. Just a friendly suggestion.

Lets not make this more complicated than it really is.

Thanks for the response.

Are you trying to say that a 90 day single entry ED visa has a schools name written on it ?

I am prepared to accept that "extensions of stay" may be linked to an institution but they are not visas are they ...........................

Are initial 90-day ED visas tied to schools and unchangeable? I have no idea. I have no direct experience with this issue. The OP has already received his extension, having already studied at the school for 5 months. Its not the question he was asking. So I answered his question, not one that was not asked.

And, yes, the technical terminology is extension of stay, something that pretty much everyone calls my "visa".

• 3 weeks later...

What is the name of the other school that can offer the 1 year ED visa. I found the following on google:

http://www.chacritmuaythaischool.com/student-visa.html

Toddy's 20k baht seems quite pricey indeed and it's at Bearing, pretty far out of town and 18k per month for sleeping and training, damn!

Are there really only 2 schools who can provide this visa?

No school can provide/obtain a visa .

You must purchase a tuition package from the school who will then provide the required paperwork to support a personal application for a visa which can only be obtained outside Thailand.

What is the name of the other school that can offer the 1 year ED visa. I found the following on google:

http://www.chacritmuaythaischool.com/student-visa.html

Toddy's 20k baht seems quite pricey indeed and it's at Bearing, pretty far out of town and 18k per month for sleeping and training, damn!

Are there really only 2 schools who can provide this visa?

Yes only Master Toddy's and Chacrit can obtain an ED-Visa from Muay Thai in Bangkok.

I went to Chacrit and they require you to pay 9 months up front, the cost is 30,000thb for training plus 2,000thb for the visa fees.

It's half the cost of Master Toddy's and they don't charge 20,000thb to print off paper work for you, I'll be switching schools in a couple weeks.