First day Thai road safety campaign claims 39 deaths

webfact

The next 7 days will be the same mayhem as every other year. Thai people love to drink, and are normally too drunk to realize that they are totally unfit to drive. Some never realize that fact because they die.

Don't get me wrong but most are unfit to drive when sober ...........

Who said you're wrong?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is easy to assume that many Thais are rude and aggressive drivers, unfortunately the experience of driving or riding in Thailand can easily suggest that. But we have to also consider Correspondence Bias (PDF) We all are prone to this response. When I first started researching the subject I thought the same. But that suggests that Thai's are aggressive horrible uneducated people who wish us and others harm, that is simply not the case.

Enforcement will not fix things without adequate training as well.

Most Thai road users have not been trained in how to use the roads. The test is so basic that it only requires minimum skills to pass and no provision for learner drivers to do any on-road tuition either.

By comparison in the UK all motorcyclists must do a compulsory basic Training course before riding on the road. This is the same level of training as is required to pass the full Thai motorcycle test, only the CBT includes two hours minimum of on road tuition. The UK full licence test standard is looking for experience. We can normally train someone to test standard but it takes a further four or five days of training and riding experience. In the UK there is now talk of motorway and night driving tuition as well.

In Thailand due to the minimum or non existent levels of basic training people revert to using the roads as pedestrians. Only rules that apply at walking speeds do not always work at traffic speeds. Also it brings people into conflict with other road users playing by different rules.

Add in the lack of observations for fear of confrontation and the belief in spirit protection and reincarnation and Thai Road users behaviour starts to make more sense.

The only answer is for us all to take responsabillity for our own actions and rather than assume others will do the right thing, base our road use on the assumption that the other road users has not been trained adequately and therefore may well do something unexpected. Anyone with experience of driving or riding in Thailand already does this. But that is the difference between experienced and novice road users around the world.

thairoadcraft.wordpress.com

In other words, drive defensively.

The next 7 days will be the same mayhem as every other year. Thai people love to drink, and are normally too drunk to realize that they are totally unfit to drive. Some never realize that fact because they die.

The next 7 days will be the same mayhem as every other year. People love to drink, and are normally too drunk to realize that they are totally unfit to drive. Some never realize that fact because they die.

Fixed it for you.

Edited by Roel

The first day of the " 7 deadly days " claimed 39 lives.

This leaves another 258 days during 2016 for these murdering scum to use their weapon of choice to kill and maime, which either has 2 , 4, or more wheels.

39 ( avg ) / day x 258 days = 10,062 more potential deaths on Thai roads over the coming year, and God only knows how many injuries.

An absolutely disgraceful statistic, for which the Thai Authorities should be thouroughly ashamed.

Figures such as these should be published from a major conflict zone, such as Iraq, or Afghanistan, not a popular Tourist destination.

Education takes a long period of time to sink in.

But hey, this safety campaign is done for happiness of Thai peoples, therefore hopefully it must be good. And as better outcome than a song? coffee1.gif

When things cannot get in from the top, they should be shoved in from the bottom...

Education takes a long period of time to sink in.

But hey, this safety campaign is done for happiness of Thai peoples, therefore hopefully it must be good. And as better outcome than a song? coffee1.gif

When things cannot get in from the top, they should be shoved in from the bottom...

gigglem.gif

Unfortunately they can be expelled from there quicker, does not stick around sad.png

The main reason apart from Drink is that Thai are very impatient and hate waiting one second for anything.

Even though they are the total opposite when they walk.

Unfortunately Thai's don't seem to like walking too much, their impatience to get to where they need to be forces them to take whatever mode of transport they can get their tubby little legs to get onboard rather than get involved in a bit of exercise. As for driving, if they removed their blinkers from their head, they might actually notice that there are other users on the road at the same time as themselves, maybe use their indicators occasionally would also help (and switch them off afterwards), but I fear that's pipedream that will never happen, akin to expecting the Pattaya police force to be clean and operate without corruption. Be safe to all that venture on the roads and may the force be with you!

KB

Resounding safety success. Only mere 39 deaths! Now, if only those people would not been on the road then, we would have had zero deaths. What's wrong with those people!... going out and ruining our road safety.

Edited by jerojero

I believe the statistics provided by the government regarding road deaths the same way I believe polls that state 99% of Thais are happy with the current Military Dictatorship

Maybe the current traffic campaign is lowering the figures or , more likely, they are just getting victims to the hospitals faster so that when they die, they are not counted as traffic fatalities

And so the BS begins.

Thailand averages about 26,000 road deaths per year. That would mean that about 70 people on average are killed every day.

Either these death rates they throw around on Songkran and New Year are complete BS or every year the death toll around these holidays is far less than the typical daily average.

If this is the case then why do they refer to these holidays as the dangerous days? They should be called the safest days as the average death rate appears to be half the daily average.

Haha yes this is one of my favorite ongoing jokes. When they are yapping about

the dangerous days of new year and Songkran, the reality is that the numbers

killed in those time periods is actually lower than the national daily average.

So........they should be renamed the safety days. Maybe the police strategy is

to pump up the danger factor so they can operate more checkpoints and hence

be better able to support their mia nois over the holidays..

Motorcycle is also the vehicle that was engaged in most fatal accidents or 89.22%.

If only people would wear good helmets. A high quality helmet (easy to find here under the Real brand, and a few others) saves lives. Most fatalities are the result of being struck on the head, which is very fragile. The skull cracks quite easily. A lot of people just don't get that. Skulls on asphalt are not a good mix! Wear a very good helmet. I wear one at all times. I try not to leave home without it.

The first day of the " 7 deadly days " claimed 39 lives.

This leaves another 258 days during 2016 for these murdering scum to use their weapon of choice to kill and maime, which either has 2 , 4, or more wheels.

39 ( avg ) / day x 258 days = 10,062 more potential deaths on Thai roads over the coming year, and God only knows how many injuries.

An absolutely disgraceful statistic, for which the Thai Authorities should be thouroughly ashamed.

Figures such as these should be published from a major conflict zone, such as Iraq, or Afghanistan, not a popular Tourist destination.

I'm not sure your maths stands up to scrutiny.

"Thai people love to drink..."

If only they could practice abstinence like all farang do. Odd all the wailing and gnashing of teeth on TV any day liquor sales are banned. Didn't realize there were so many Thai posters here.

post-145917-0-54690800-1451545166_thumb.

Edited by Suradit69

I must admit in my younger days i met up with friends in a bar in Munich and manage to drink 16 pils, 0,33 glasses, i felt fine and decided to drive home although i had sworn to myself beforehand to take a taxi, all went well for 15 minuets and then suddenly i started to see double, i mean really double, i had to drive with one eye closed. I was stopped at a road block and was breathalized, i was under the limit, even the police couldn't believe it and used a second breathalizer, again under the limit, i managed to drive home and swore from that day on never again and i have kept that promise, you just don't believe you are drunk when you really are. Zero alcohol when driving.

I must admit in my younger days i met up with friends in a bar in Munich and manage to drink 16 pils, 0,33 glasses, i felt fine and decided to drive home although i had sworn to myself beforehand to take a taxi, all went well for 15 minuets and then suddenly i started to see double, i mean really double, i had to drive with one eye closed. I was stopped at a road block and was breathalized, i was under the limit, even the police couldn't believe it and used a second breathalizer, again under the limit, i managed to drive home and swore from that day on never again and i have kept that promise, you just don't believe you are drunk when you really are. Zero alcohol when driving.

Check your liver. It may be malfunctioning...

Is the campaign just words like last year or will there be some active police enforcement of the "50 passengers in a pick-up with a drunk driver" scenario or the 'whole family on a motorbike with uncles and aunts with a drunk driver'.

Motorcycle is also the vehicle that was engaged in most fatal accidents or 89.22%.

If only people would wear good helmets. A high quality helmet (easy to find here under the Real brand, and a few others) saves lives. Most fatalities are the result of being struck on the head, which is very fragile. The skull cracks quite easily. A lot of people just don't get that. Skulls on asphalt are not a good mix! Wear a very good helmet. I wear one at all times. I try not to leave home without it.

i guess the girls in 7/11 get a giggle every time you walk in.

Stop with the percentages etc per deaths/head of population.

Factor in mobility.

Thais would, at my guess, have three to four times, maybe six as much exposure i.e. driver/passenger miles than most European countries when it come to motor vehicles/motorbikes. Of course the % will be higher. Doesn't make an excuse for the high road death count but lets compare apples with apples.

Compare driver/passenger miles/kilometers traveled then the figures may make more sense.

Same as the airlines do.

I do note that the total GI deaths in Viet Nam over the course of the war were less than the yearly US traffic deaths...about 50,000.....get some perspective guys.

The fact that the majority of recorded deaths are motorcyclists does not mean that motorcyclists cause the accidents, only that motorcyclists will come off worse.

A helmet is of little use in a head on collision with a speeding car or when someone has been run over. When an accident happens regardless of blame the rider will come off worse.

As Thailand has fifteen times the number of motorcycles compared to the UK which has a similar population it will of course figure that motorcycle fatalities make up a high proportion of the statistics.

In the UK we saw a huge drop in road deaths amongst motorcyclists when Compulsory Basic Training was introduced. Thats why something similar is needed in Thailand. Teach everyone to play by the same rules!

The fact that the majority of recorded deaths are motorcyclists does not mean that motorcyclists cause the accidents, only that motorcyclists will come off worse.

A helmet is of little use in a head on collision with a speeding car or when someone has been run over. When an accident happens regardless of blame the rider will come off worse.

As Thailand has fifteen times the number of motorcycles compared to the UK which has a similar population it will of course figure that motorcycle fatalities make up a high proportion of the statistics.

In the UK we saw a huge drop in road deaths amongst motorcyclists when Compulsory Basic Training was introduced. Thats why something similar is needed in Thailand. Teach everyone to play by the same rules!

Unfortunately Thai authorities seemingly are not interested in learning from other countries - it would appear to be a cultural problem sad.png

Edited by lvr181

Yesterday's Post carried an amazing quote from the NCPO'S deputy spokeswoman, an army colonel, who said,

" many people are still driving drunk. "

No shit Sheer Luck, what profound insight !

Endeavouring to be awarded the most intelligent quote for 2015

i guess the girls in 7/11 get a giggle every time you walk in.

No need to wear one indoors. Most 7/11's are safe. Of course I meant at all times while riding. And as far as the girls in 7/11, who cares? I stopped being concerned about what strangers think of me when I was 12 or 13.

Check your liver. It may be malfunctioning...

That was 35 years ago when instead of the electronic breathalysers they used chemical ones which often malfunctioned, i was simply lucky, lucky that i didn't lose my license and lucky that i didn't kill anybody but the lesson stuck. If my liver is malfunctioning it wouldn't matter that much to me now.