Taekwondo In Pattaya

dgoz

Is there anyone who teaches Taekwondo in Pattaya?

There's one upstairs in Mike's Shopping Center, overlooking beach road.

There's another one on the Soi opposite Tesco Lotus on North Pattaya Road, just east of City Hall.

Mostly kids, though.

There are probably others.

Why would anyone want to waste their time with Kimchee Doo ?

Learn a real way to fight , Muay Thai

Fair point, but from the 'Fight to the Death' DVD's I have seen the Taekwondo guy always wins, usually by locking his opponent, then breaking his neck or spinal column.

So perhaps Taekwando is the way to go...QUOTE "Learn a real way to fight".??!!

Fair point, but from the 'Fight to the Death' DVD's I have seen the Taekwondo guy always wins, usually by locking his opponent, then breaking his neck or spinal column.

So perhaps Taekwando is the way to go...QUOTE "Learn a real way to fight".??!!

Mixed Martial Arts is the new form of fighting , if you would want to learn the best way to defend yourself in any real world situation.

Kimchee Doo is a joke.

I am a boxer/muay thai/shukokai type, i never fought a TKD guy on the street but i sparred a bunch.

Their high kicks are impressive and will work well on untrained people. But i found as soon

as i get inside their kicking range i could walk right thru them. Their hands were weak

and they DID NOT like my leg kicks.

But if you are just looking for good excercise its great, DONT bet your life on the soi with TKD.

The other problem is these martial arts type places seem to be a business, the instructors

pumping your ego to get more bucks. Kinda scammish.

Best thing to do is go spar a TKD guy and then spar a Muay thai guy about the same size

and years experience, then make the decision, I bet you pick Muay Thai.

good luck

nam

I trained in TKD ( TAGB ) for 4 years , also Judo, Aikido, JiuJitsu, Muay Thai and western Boxing.

They are all good in their own right. TKD is a good sport/art and can teach kids how to feel more confident, the sparring/fighting part of it is limited to tournaments really, high and fancy legwork, as Nam Kao has said. For self defense you can't beat Boxing and Muay Thai though, the conditioning you pick up with these two systems surpasses pretty much any other sport. Judo and JJ are great for groundwork, both way more realistic for self defense than TKD, Kung <deleted> or any form of Karate.

All IMO of course.

:o

Muay Thai is way too rudimental, it's just too simple, it's a sport. Martial arts are much more complex, it's an art, a state of mind, a way of living, an entire philosophy...in a nutshell, martial arts are much more efficient than muay thai. I might be wrong, but that's just the way I see it

Muay Thai is way too rudimental, it's just too simple, it's a sport. Martial arts are much more complex, it's an art, a state of mind, a way of living, an entire philosophy...in a nutshell, martial arts are much more efficient than muay thai. I might be wrong, but that's just the way I see it

Boxing is a Martial Art.

Muay Thai is a Martial Art. And it is one of the most effective arts.

Not many live Martial Arts have this kind of establishments these days.

There are many moves that make this Martial art into a near complete system. One of the things that, IMO, make Muay Thai an effective fighting system is the lack of elaborate movements , but the focus on strength, speed and conditioning.

No other Martial Art has a kick that can damage your opponent in the way a low roundhouse kick does. You can't block this kick effectively, it is like a baseball bat being swung in your direction.

If you want to see it in it's pure form , try spending a year in a training camp.

I suggest you perhaps train in this system,as I have, then try a few more systems, as I have.

Then come back and write your findings here.

As I Have.

:o

Maybe I'll try muay thai then.

I have very little experience save for a few months of tkd and also some "free style" in Oz about 10 years ago.

Im 40, just looking to get fit and a little capable if in a situation that is uncomfortable.

What is a good muay thai school in Pattaya.For a beginner.

Edited by dgoz

There's a programme to be shown on National Geographic channel this week (in the UK) which applies scientific investigation to the various martial arts. One of the facts to emerge from this programme is that a muay thai knee kick exerts the same force as an automotive collision at 35mph.

You will notice martial arts stylist get really enraged when you say something about

their style. This is the brainwashing they recieved from their "Masters" senseis and seifu's

as they want the $$$ pouring in, that means keeping all the paying students. Its really

a business for these guys.

Bruce Lee was indoctorinated into a style like this then went out and tested himself and

broke away to create a better style that was evolving into a boxing type style. Unfortunately

he met his end at the hands of a Thai boxer while filming in Thailand. The Kung <deleted> masters quieted

this news quick as their coffuers would surely be hit hard.

Learn some groundfighting as well, i trained with a champion grecco guy from the USSR

and it really opened my eyes as i was a diehard striker. But after 3 months i picked it up.

While in Thailand dont rely on groundfighting, try to stay on your feet and end it with strikes

as its VERY VERY rare you will get a 1 on 1 encounter. If the Thai starts losing and i will

guarantee others will come out of the woodwork. A groundfighter will die on the ground

if there are 2 determined opponents. One will tie you up and the other will take your

head off. And most robberies etc are 2-6 on 1 to begin with and chances are they will be armed.

My latest Thailand street strategy is mace or a spray with good range (10 feet plus)

and a kubaton along with strikes and I would run first if i got the chance, but dont give em

your back if they are close.

I wish i could get a conceal carry permit and carry my HK. That would be sweet.

enough rambling

nam

Edited by Nam Kao

I find Muay Thai, to be the best strike system in the world, with excellent training methods.

However if you are 40, and just want a hobby, some fitness, and a bit of fun, in a class, do the TKD.

Not say 40 year old do not learn Muay thai....just different thingdssuit different people.

Indeed I met a man who was 59 from Oz who is learning thai, and came here to visit some camps the other week, he took the training at this own pace and enjoyed it.

• 3 weeks later...