Prem urges news journalists to respect professional ethics

Jonathan Fairfield

Prem urges news journalists to respect professional ethics

54-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK:-- Privy Council chairman Gen Prem Tinsulanonda today called on news journalists to present facts as facts, and have code of ethics while expressing confidence that election could be held by the time frame stated in the prime minister's roadmap to democracy.

In an interview to the news media on New Year day, he said news journalists must report straight facts, treat facts as facts and work for the public, not for companies.

He said if news journalists could practise these principles in the code of journalism ethics, then they could set precedence for others.

He said news journalists play significant role in presenting reports that could provoke either disputes or loves.

However he said it was unreasonable to provoke but to present facts as facts.

Journalists must report straight facts, who is good or bad with no imagination, Gen Prem said.

In fact the Privy Council chairman said the majority of news journalists are good with only a handful who is bad.

He said journalists should not take side but should report factual news, and should avoid reported any information that is detrimental to nation security or that is confidential.

Asked to comment on election scheduled for 2017 in the roadmap of the prime minister, Gen Prem said he was confident Gen Prayut could achieve his roadmap, citing reason that the prime minister was determined, clean and has no wound to cover up.

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-01-01

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Slowly, slowly the elite are tightening the screws....................

Now Prayuth is bringing forward the heavy weapons..................................."In the name of ***** "

More and more scary by the minute!!

The Thai press have the same ethics as everyone else here.

None. Sold to the highest bidder.

Having the Jonathan Head as president of the 'Foreign Journalists Club' sums this place up. He belongs at some grubby little tabloid like 'The Sun'. His reports during the protests were a disgrace. Lies by omission are lies just the same.

'Gen Prem said he was confident Gen Prayut could achieve his roadmap, citing reason that the prime minister was determined, clean and has no wound to cover up'

Probably not the best reason to bet on the little general

If that OP is an example of the brilliant way Thai PBS do their reporting then they really aught to bury their heads in shame, they never heard of proof readers...

What can you say when yet another pampered hi-so who knows zilch about the majority of the population starts preaching about what you can report, scary...

Good thing if the journalists read between the lines like the rest of us otherwise the attitude adjustment camps would be overflowing...

Facts are good, but sometimes the way they are presented can lead to conflicting conclusions. Maybe we need to come up with a new language that will ensure that the facts are always reported without unfacts creeping into the message.

Whilst we are at it, sometimes what is fact and what is unfact is not clear. Perhaps there could be a government ministry that can rule as to what is fact and what is unfact, to ensure that there is no further confusion.

Having the Jonathan Head as president of the 'Foreign Journalists Club' sums this place up. He belongs at some grubby little tabloid like 'The Sun'. His reports during the protests were a disgrace. Lies by omission are lies just the same.

Oh dear....

You saying the Junta and your mates in the police farce also have the same ethics as the Thai press?

But, but, but......

So who has Jonathan Head sold himself to? Please elucidate.If you can't justify this libel just stop lying.

As I have posted before I was told personally by Khun Anand Panyarachun that in his opinion Jonathan Head (like Anand a product of Dulwich and Cambridge) was a distinguished commentator on Thai politics.

JH has become a hate figure for some Thais as well as a few poorly educated foreign pikeys - because he points out some inconvenient truths.

Journalistic ethics. One would think the penultimate power within the Kingdom would have more pressing issues to deal with. Unless of course, this is a pre-emptive strike against the media to dissuade them from reporting about certain (inevitable) events within the palace until such events are officially announced.

Privy Council chairman Gen Prem Tinsulanonda today called on news journalists to present facts as facts, and have code of ethics while expressing confidence that election could be held by the time frame stated in the prime minister's roadmap to democracy.

so there are several issues with the first sentence of the OP.

First, of all,

Gen Prem Tinsulanonda today called on news journalists to present facts as facts

He cannot really mean that and I would imagine that what was written between the lines is perfectly obvious to all Thai journalists.

Secondly, the obvious omission is the unstated command to not ask questions.

Thirdly,

that election could be held by the time frame stated in the prime minister's roadmap to democracy.

'roadmap to democracy' is such an obvious misnomer that only junta fans could possibly support such a statement.

And finally, this support of the self-appointed 'PM' along with the "pardoning" of the poor general in charge of corruption park would indicate that there is not too much friction between Prem and Prayuth as had been rumoured in the past.

If this man was put as a candidate tomorrow in an election He would WALK IT.

Now this small body of TVF members who have not been satisfied since the intervention of the army---that are crying out for elections every day, slagging off the PM---because they hate military rule, are now not satisfied with near the MOST RESPECTED man in Thailand, I have news for you, is it YOU that want what YOU want, or is it the will of Thais ???. % of you are still in denial re Shins sins in government, % of you say you want democracy ( even if it not a democratically run job)

I would love to see stability, elections, after most of the last lot have faced up to wrong doing and Thais can believe what is then out in the open.

Thailand will be lucky if it's squeaky clean in 10 years time. YES I am ready for the clan brigade to slam me for this, as that is all they seem to be on TVF for, topics like this one. Scan every day and see who is answering what------interesting.

Now this small body of TVF members who have not been satisfied since the intervention of the army---that are crying out for elections every day, slagging off the PM---because they hate military rule, are now not satisfied with near the MOST RESPECTED man in Thailand, I have news for you, is it YOU that want what YOU want, or is it the will of Thais ???. % of you are still in denial re Shins sins in government, % of you say you want democracy ( even if it not a democratically run job)

I would love to see stability, elections, after most of the last lot have faced up to wrong doing and Thais can believe what is then out in the open.

Thailand will be lucky if it's squeaky clean in 10 years time. YES I am ready for the clan brigade to slam me for this, as that is all they seem to be on TVF for, topics like this one. Scan every day and see who is answering what------interesting.

The opinion of TVF members is neither here nor there.If however you believe Prem - personally decent though he is - represents the aspirations of most Thais, you are comically deluded.He is no longer widely respected in the way he was 20 years ago.History - not the likes of you and me - will deliver its verdict on Prem.Sadly as a result of his foolish meddling I fear it will be a harsh one and he will be seen as having played a key role in undermining all he holds dear - a terrible irony.

The opinion of TVF members is neither here nor there.If however you believe Prem - personally decent though he is - represents the aspirations of most Thais, you are comically deluded.He is no longer widely respected in the way he was 20 years ago.History - not the likes of you and me - will deliver its verdict on Prem.Sadly as a result of his foolish meddling I fear it will be a harsh one and he will be seen as having played a key role in undermining all he holds dear - a terrible irony.

Vey well put!!

The problem with a lot of those in high position or born into the hi-so set in Thailand is that they are surrounded by the worst kind of sycophants, people who will tell them anything at all that they think they want to hear regardless of the truth or the long term effects and unfortunately the higher up the pole they get the more cosseted they are

People like ginjang and EJ and several of the other rose tinted specs brigade cannot see that and just because their trip to the local bar or restaurant is the same as before this lot took power they think there is no problem and all is hunky-dory, guess what, it isn't!!!

Comically deluded----you speak so nice this new year. Your opinion ONLY, ask any Thai in Thailand if the Guy is still a very respected man--you will get your answer. Ask --sure the Comic you will find is YOU. Just returning the nice gesture. Happy new year, I did notice you did not comment on other FACTS about this grumbling daily % of posters, after all WE do not have a say. so why are they just on TVF mostly on topics to use as an excuse. I comment on some unpopular decisions by the PM, but I am not relentless in a daily assault. Quote of yours---"Prems foolish meddling" WOW.......

Edited by ginjag

Vey well put!!

The problem with a lot of those in high position or born into the hi-so set in Thailand is that they are surrounded by the worst kind of sycophants, people who will tell them anything at all that they think they want to hear regardless of the truth or the long term effects and unfortunately the higher up the pole they get the more cosseted they are

People like ginjang and EJ and several of the other rose tinted specs brigade cannot see that and just because their trip to the local bar or restaurant is the same as before this lot took power they think there is no problem and all is hunky-dory, guess what, it isn't!!!

Please do not post assumed lies-----I do not drink, so I do not trip to the local bar---do you think everyone is drunk and lives in Pattaya or Nana ?? Agree it is NOT hunky dory, no one in this world thinks it is--But you do not need rose tinted glasses to know it is still better than Shins run--or not run style governing.