Prem urges news journalists to respect professional ethics

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ginjag - I'm be really curious to know what country you come from. Where I'm from (Australia and Canada), I can't imagine there are many people who believe that a military occupation, suppression of free speech and thought (aka 'attitude adjustment'), and indefinite (multi-year) suspension of democratic institutions is the appropriate solution for social-political discord.

The Shins may have been corrupt, but they did not create Thailand's social divide. They merely showed the formerly powerless that they actually do have power in numbers and that they shouldn't simply 'accept their place'. Politics was no longer just a game to be played in Bangkok. And for all the reverence you have for Prayuth and Prem, they cannot put that genie back in the bottle. Which is why your 'solution' is no solution at all...

painful as it is, I think he is British, there are a number on here, all junta junkies, English John, Baerboxer, and the resident wiki member for KKP. All an embarrassment to the old country. If it wasn't for the Shins their sad lives would be bereft. Why don't they the just sup their Leo and read the DM.

Why should journalists and any other mass media not have opinions?

Report fact, sure, and label them as such, without risk that the government will arrest you or scold you as "not being Thai" (sic!)

and present opinions as opinions and let the (educated) public be the judge of that, not the generals.

And as a last minor wish, ask the government to provide facts, nothing but facts and the total information. (Too much to ask?)

Since TV folks love statistics and are always reminding us that Thailand has the 2nd highest traffic fatality rate in the world

( a statistic I have only found on one web site: http://www.livescience.com/43462-countries-crash-death-rates.html), it is nice to know that they are also number 2 in coups d'etat and coup attempts at 21, they lost first place to Haiti which has had 25

source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_coups_d%27%C3%A9tat_and_coup_attempts_by_country

None of which could have occurred if advisors had given sage advice

Disposable Democracy = a revolving door alternating between elected governments and military coups. But if that's that model that works in the Land of Smiles, who's to complain?

It's not like they ever claimed to have a Constitutional Republic which they turn around and disembowel both the Constitution and the Republic right in front of a public that is far to distracted by consumer toys and driveling pablum on their Boob-Tubes to give a da*m.

Edited by connda

Why should journalists and any other mass media not have opinions?

Report fact, sure, and label them as such, without risk that the government will arrest you or scold you as "not being Thai" (sic!)

and present opinions as opinions and let the (educated) public be the judge of that, not the generals.

And as a last minor wish, ask the government to provide facts, nothing but facts and the total information. (Too much to ask?)

Well here's a thought, how many real journalists / constructive opinion makers does Thailand have?

In fact very few, and some of them are good at textbook concepts but not so good at pragmatics.

Then there the legion of Thai reporters who have no real reporting / journalism skills whatever, they get caught out by the day saying one thing in one sentence then contradicting what they just said in the next sentence.

Ginjag - I'm be really curious to know what country you come from. Where I'm from (Australia and Canada), I can't imagine there are many people who believe that a military occupation, suppression of free speech and thought (aka 'attitude adjustment'), and indefinite (multi-year) suspension of democratic institutions is the appropriate solution for social-political discord.

The Shins may have been corrupt, but they did not create Thailand's social divide. They merely showed the formerly powerless that they actually do have power in numbers and that they shouldn't simply 'accept their place'. Politics was no longer just a game to be played in Bangkok. And for all the reverence you have for Prayuth and Prem, they cannot put that genie back in the bottle. Which is why your 'solution' is no solution at all...

"...but they did not create Thailand's social divide..." Be careful how you use the shin gang and divide in one sentence.

painful as it is, I think he is British, there are a number on here, all junta junkies, English John, Baerboxer, and the resident wiki member for KKP. All an embarrassment to the old country. If it wasn't for the Shins their sad lives would be bereft. Why don't they the just sup their Leo and read the DM.

"...They merely showed the formerly powerless that they actually do have power in numbers and that they shouldn't simply 'accept their place'. ..."

How many times has this facile / total twist of the real truths involved been thrown out.

Are you going back to page 1 of the playbook, please not again?

"...They merely showed the formerly powerless that they actually do have power in numbers and that they shouldn't simply 'accept their place'. ..."

How many times has this facile / total twist of the real truths involved been thrown out.

The sheep are waiting for their Shepard whilst a Wolf in Lamb's clothing devours the weak.

It's a summary and thus subject to several caveats.But it's not an unfair comment and certainly not facile.I don't think the more thoughtful Democrats would dissent from it.

Thailand's challenge is for the majority of its people to identify with and to have "ownership" of government.There's no one template for this and the eventual democratic solution will be rooted in Thailand's traditions.

The Junta and its acolytes don't have the answer.They simply want to shore up the rotting existing structure.

General Prem is more responsible than almost any other public figure for the state Thailand finds itself in today. I am sure he is justifiably proud of his fine legacy.

I like your almost.

You said it without saying it !!

It's a summary and thus subject to several caveats.But it's not an unfair comment and certainly not facile.I don't think the more thoughtful Democrats would dissent from it.

Thailand's challenge is for the majority of its people to identify with and to have "ownership" of government.There's no one template for this and the eventual democratic solution will be rooted in Thailand's traditions.

The Junta and its acolytes don't have the answer.They simply want to shore up the rotting existing structure.

I like your comment and there are few key words that described the faltering democracy that Thailand has been experiencing since 1932.

Challenge is indeed for the majority of Thais to identify and take ownership. Thaksin did well to recognize and built on previously voiceless majority that brought him success at the polls. He was rid off not because he was corrupted but because he was popular and awaken this majority. The junta and its backers fear that.

The only way to stop this increasing swing and disrupt the status quo were played out repeatedly in the 18 coups. The future hangs in the balance and much dependent on acceptance of the reality as stuffing back the genie will not be possible.

I have no idea what you're talking about, so please do educate me and show how this analysis has been 'thrown out'. That said, any student of history will tell you that this pattern is seen over and over again in developing countries... in fact, it's really what defines 'populism'. But you're invited to share a counter-interpretation if you'd like.

I'd say that it's difficult for the people to take ownership of the government when the power elites disenfranchise the populace by simply appointing members to the Parliament instead to allowing the people to vote for all the representatives, therefore having a Representative Democracy. On the other hand, no matter how the global power elites frame 'Democracy' as the panacea for all that ails society, it is still 'Tyranny of the Majority' and does not work for all cultures. Thailand is expressing its distrust of a purely democratic system by 'stacking the deck' with Parliamentary appointments. If that's what works for Thailand, then so be it, imho. Unlike other developing sovereign nations around the globe that have been bombed back into fractured, Balkanized states (plenty of examples in the ME/NA and Eastern Europe), the Thai government is exerting it's national sovereignty. Good for them. I hope they continue to do so.

I like your comment and there are few key words that described the faltering democracy that Thailand has been experiencing since 1932.

Challenge is indeed for the majority of Thais to identify and take ownership. Thaksin did well to recognize and built on previously voiceless majority that brought him success at the polls. He was rid off not because he was corrupted but because he was popular and awaken this majority. The junta and its backers fear that.

The only way to stop this increasing swing and disrupt the status quo were played out repeatedly in the 18 coups. The future hangs in the balance and much dependent on acceptance of the reality as stuffing back the genie will not be possible.

I agree with you on your assessment of Thaksin, but the problem that did take him down was his greed. The corruption simply allowed the military opposition to find a flaw that they could exploit, and they did. Too bad that greed and corruption is endemic in this culture. If an individual who actually has a moral compass could take the reins of this country and appeal to both the yellows and the reds factions, this country could thrive.

Edited by connda

I'd say that it's difficult for the people to take ownership of the government when the power elites disenfranchise the populace by simply appointing members to the Parliament instead to allowing the people to vote for all the representatives, therefore having a Representative Democracy. On the other hand, no matter how the global power elites frame 'Democracy' as the panacea for all that ails society, it is still 'Tyranny of the Majority' and does not work for all cultures. Thailand is expressing its distrust of a purely democratic system by 'stacking the deck' with Parliamentary appointments. If that's what works for Thailand, then so be it, imho. Unlike other developing sovereign nations around the globe that have been bombed back into fractured, Balkanized states (plenty of examples in the ME/NA and Eastern Europe), the Thai government is exerting it's national sovereignty. Good for them. I hope they continue to do so.

But who decides what form of democracy works for Thailand? That's the question.The current Thai government didn't earn sovereignty.It stole it.

Incidentally I don't buy into the concept of global power elites pushing democracy as a monolithic model.I know some people say that but there's like evidence to support it.

But who decides what form of democracy works for Thailand? That's the question.The current Thai government didn't earn sovereignty.It stole it.

Incidentally I don't buy into the concept of global power elites pushing democracy as a monolithic model.I know some people say that but there's like evidence to support it.

I don't have the answer here, but like most, I'm just an observer. Thailand's form of government has historically been a revolving door of military coups and democratic governments. The real questions is: "Why the revolving door?" I think it may simply be a reflection of Thailand ingrained culture and a product of it's patronage system with endemic, institutionalize corruption driving the constant change. But throughout this theater of the absurd the country as a whole seems to always land on its feet, and for the most part whether the government is elected or imposed, they maintain social stability for the most part. Yeah, there are major hiccups: Yellow shirt demonstrations; Red shirt demonstrations. But the country as a whole still functions. Again, just an observation. I don't take sides. The country needs to sort out it's own problems from within.

Edited by connda

I don't have the answer here, but like most, I'm just an observer. Thailand's form of government has historically been a revolving door of military coups and democratic governments. The real questions is: "Why the revolving door?" I think it may simply be a reflection of Thailand ingrained culture and a product of it's patronage system with endemic, institutionalize corruption driving the constant change. But throughout this theater of the absurd the country as a whole seems to always land on its feet, and for the most part whether the government is elected or imposed, they maintain social stability for the most part. Yeah, there are major hiccups: Yellow shirt demonstrations; Red shirt demonstrations. But the country as a whole still functions. Again, just an observation. I don't take sides. The country needs to sort out it's own problems from within.

I agree with most of this.But the Teflon Thailand approach is looking increasingly threadbare.

I agree with most of this.But the Teflon Thailand approach is looking increasingly threadbare.

Regarding the concept of global power elites pushing democracy, just a suggestion. Pick up a copy of Full Spectrum Dominance by F. William Engdahl. (http://www.amazon.com/Full-Spectrum-Dominance-Totalitarian-Democracy/dp/398132630X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451893154&sr=8-1&keywords=full+spectrum+dominance)

The book is well sourced and paints a less than appealing picture of our brave new world. Complete the book, and you'll have a completely different view of the world. Follow that up by reading The Grand Chessboard: American Primacy And Its Geostrategic Imperatives by Zbigniew Brzezinski and the works of H.J. Mackinder, The Geographical Pivot of History which is still the blueprint being used by the Western power elite.

I'm not talking from a perspective of my own opinion. I'm talking about information that is readily available to anyone who wishes to research the subject, something that virtually nobody does. It's an eye opener.

Regarding the concept of global power elites pushing democracy, just a suggestion. Pick up a copy of Full Spectrum Dominance by F. William Engdahl. (http://www.amazon.com/Full-Spectrum-Dominance-Totalitarian-Democracy/dp/398132630X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451893154&sr=8-1&keywords=full+spectrum+dominance)

The book is well sourced and paints a less than appealing picture of our brave new world. Complete the book, and you'll have a completely different view of the world. Follow that up by reading The Grand Chessboard: American Primacy And Its Geostrategic Imperatives by Zbigniew Brzezinski and the works of H.J. Mackinder, The Geographical Pivot of History which is still the blueprint being used by the Western power elite.

I'm not talking from a perspective of my own opinion. I'm talking about information that is readily available to anyone who wishes to research the subject, something that virtually nobody does. It's an eye opener.

Engdahl is a fruitcake who no serious scholar respects.He believes global warming is a conspiracy undertaken by his imaginary "global elites" to consolidate their power.Yawn.

I agree. Journalists should always be reporting the facts and be impartial.

Now, what if they are not given any proper facts but only some halfhearted truths? Are they allowed to double check the facts given by any agency or government - or are they asked to just report anything informed by a government and not asking questions?

Let us just recap what the UN said at the last World Press Freedom Day on May 3 regarding journalists' role in society:

quality journalism “enables citizens to make informed decisions about their society's development” while also working “to expose injustice, corruption, and the abuse of power.”

“We must commit to ensure that the safety and human rights of journalists are protected, independent of the political, socio-economic or cultural pressures that may threaten, impede or deter their freedom to keep the world informed”.

Living stateside once again, after 6 years total in Thailand. I do not miss that oppression in the least. I would rather have access to free press coverage, no matter how ridiculous and sensationalized it is. Deciphering fact from opinion is what critical thinking is for.

Nor do I miss ridiculously written quasi-news bits from PBS News like this one. You think they could reiterate the same sentence, not to mention poorly, enough times? bah.gif

Engdahl is a fruitcake who no serious scholar respects.He believes global warming is a conspiracy undertaken by his imaginary "global elites" to consolidate their power.Yawn.

clap2.gif That's funny.