Mental Health In Thailand.

baboon

AIUI, a psychiatrist attributes mental disease to physical causes. Such as abnormalities in hormones. And treats them with medications based on restoring the balance. Psychiatrists can succesfully treat severe personality disorders, but in the case of minor mental health problems, drugs may not be the only answer.

Psychiatrists don't utilize medications for all mental diseases.

Personality disorders, particularly "severe personality disorders," are extremely difficult to treat, owing to their origin in lifelong maladaptive behavior and so to effect change it requires a great deal of work by the psychiatrist and patient. Their treatment, however, often does not include the use of medications.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The important thing to remmebr is that psychiatrists are Medical Doctors, with basic general medical training before studying psychiatry. Psychologists are not. Psychiatrists are licensed to prescribe medications, psychologists are not (altghough most pyschiologists have an arrangement with a doctor to refer clients to in need of prescription).

While it is true that psychiatricts don't necessarily treat with medications, their greater scarcity and cost (and usually limited time to spend with patients) mean that they are usually utilized for cases which require medication or which have a phsyiological cause (neurological problem, etc). Psychologists and lay therapists more often are utilized for all other, i.e. people who either don't need medication or for whom medication is just a small part of their treatment and whose problem is not assocuated with a physical disease process.

There is a very wide range of therapies and approaches used by psychologists and therapits/counsellors. Some specialize in short-term, goal-oriented work, others in longer term therapy etc. Different problems will respond to different approaches. Also the personal chemistry between client and therapist is very importatnt. So a lot of trial and error may be needed to find the best person.

• 2 weeks later...

as someone who has suffered depression for a long time i would recommend an on line depression group which i have found extremely helpful. W.O.M.

www.wingofmadness.com

there is a chat room as well as a forum for posts.

i live in the UK and belong to a self help group called CHANGES.,its good to share stories as well as join in social events.

Secrets,

Do you think plastic surgery is a good method to solve your depression?

no, i,ve not even thought of it as solving depression.!!!! :o

depression is deep seated and in most cases not connected to how one looks ,unless

one suffers BDD, and thats something i dont have,. :D

as someone who has suffered depression for a long time i would recommend an on line depression group which i have found extremely helpful. W.O.M.

www.wingofmadness.com

there is a chat room as well as a forum for posts.

i live in the UK and belong to a self help group called CHANGES.,its good to share stories as well as join in social events.

ps/ the one thing which has always kept me going is to always have a great sense of humour.

i can make humour in just about any situation......laughing is the best therapy of all.