2,140 vehicles impounded and drivers charged for drink driving

rooster59

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the high percentage of motorbikes impounded correlates closely with the fact that over 80% of all road accidents and fatalities involve motorcycles.

Uncontrolled, unlicensed and uninsured motorcyclists are the most important problems to resolve in Thailand's endless vehicular carnage.

No!

The car drivers who keep killing them are!

Good so far. They are impounding a tiny percentage of the vehicles. Why some and not others? I wonder what the total penalties are.

In the US, getting a DUI will cost you less than $20. That'll buy a 12 pack of beer, LOL. tongue.png

Must be a different U.S. than I grew up in. Getting a DUI incurs a serious fine, possibly suspension of license, higher insurance costs, etc.

I my home state of NJ is as follows;

Alcohol or drug related DUI with BAC of 0.10% or greater
License loss
Fines, fees & surcharges
Prison term
Community service, IDRC & Interlock
7 months–

1 year

$300–$500 fine

$230 IDRC* fee

$100 to drunk driving fund

$100 to AERF*

$1,000/year (for 3 years) surcharge

$75 to Neighborhood Services Fund

Up to 30 days
12–48 hours IDRC*

BAC 0.15% or greater: ignition interlock device during license suspension and 6 months - 1 year following restoration

As you can see just the fine is $300-$500, so a DUI cost is in the thousands not $20

I think the high percentage of motorbikes impounded correlates closely with the fact that over 80% of all road accidents and fatalities involve motorcycles.

Uncontrolled, unlicensed and uninsured motorcyclists are the most important problems to resolve in Thailand's endless vehicular carnage.

No!

I don't agree specifically with DDbkh's statement but if you have ever driven a car in Thailand you would know what a stupid statement you have just made. Daily I see motorcyclists pull out, cross roads and make turns without bothering to look at the traffic. Not every car driver is always at fault. This also does not include all those who manage to wrap themselves around immovable objects or drive off elevated roads.........sad.png

Good so far. They are impounding a tiny percentage of the vehicles. Why some and not others? I wonder what the total penalties are.

In the US, getting a DUI will cost you less than $20. That'll buy a 12 pack of beer, LOL. tongue.png

If you read the Thai law then you would be chocked, if you have more than .05% alcohol in your system then you can get up to 6 months in prison and/or 60,000 Baht fine so it's a little more than the $20 you talk about... A friend of mine had an accident, he was drunk and crashed his car in to a tree, he had to pay 50,000 in fine but the judge spared from prison as he had to spend 3 weeks in hospital.

If that is the limit under Thai law then why publicise recently the fact that penalties could be up to 20,000 baht plus jail time.........

Not saying you are wrong but does not make a lot of sense if those limits are already in place?

The 'cooperation from the people' is the key here. Let's hope Thai people can embrace the responsibility. I hope the carnage on Thai roads will decline - too many lovely people die or become injured -all part of living in their inherited culture. Time for change on this front surely?

We took taxis for new year's eve. And good thing. Even in the small back roads of Jomtien, police check points were setup. We went through one, 3 on a scooter taxi, no helmets, etc. Not stopped. Just breezed right past some 20 cops. Makes you wonder what they are really trying to do....

Probably because they realize taxi driver was probably sober and therefore not worth stopping.

No!

Another silly answer the figures back up the fact motorcycles are the cause of most accidents far from car drivers killing them more like motorbike riders comiting suicide.

In the UK in the vast majority of cases it will get you a minimum 12 months driving ban, a fine, points on your license, a rise in insurance premiums, a criminal record and possibly named and shamed in the local press, if this is not your first conviction it moves up to multiple years driving bans and possibly prison time....

Mr. or Mrs. or Miss Neversure

were did you get the $20 in the US from now 21st century 2015???

Forty (40) years ago it was already sort of like what it says above in the UK in the US.

I'm very well familiar with it because I operated a 5-towe trucks Towing Service in California at that time contracted with the CHP, Sheriffs Dep. and city Police towing in and storing the DUI vehicles in the impound yard which was located way out in the bean fields out of the city. Towing charge was $25.00 and storage was $1.00/day.

Unless of course, you are an untouchable. whistling.gif

"Traffic police have been ordered to memorize the license plates and faces of their superiors after Bangkok's police chief complained yesterday that he was asked to take a breathalyzer test despite his insistence that he was not intoxicated."

“Eventually, I had to tell them who I was and get out of my car and criticize them,” he told reporters yesterday. wai2.gif

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1437029021

Absolutely classic!!

This statement tells you everything you need to know about life in Thailand and epitomizes Thainess....

The fact this fella is so proud of his actions that he wants to tell the world speaks volumes about the mentality of the Hi-So's, crazy really....

I recall the same story a few months back...

Missed the line when they found out who he was they could not find a working breathalyser...

In the UK in the vast majority of cases it will get you a minimum 12 months driving ban, a fine, points on your license, a rise in insurance premiums, a criminal record and possibly named and shamed in the local press, if this is not your first conviction it moves up to multiple years driving bans and possibly prison time....

That's how it should be,. A $20.00 fine is straight out ridiculous.

What on earth is the point of continuous comparison to the UK or US - why is that TV members cannot get over the fact that they do not live in Kansas anymore. There is NO point in these comparisons.

Here in sunny Jomtien ( less sunny in Pattaya because of the pollution) I really think people are thinking twice about driving home in the party season. Even a couple of beers will end you up in jail- certainly foreign drivers are being pulled over more often

Grab taxi is popular , and as a few friends did on New Year's Eve- get a room for the night- does not need to be the Hilton- it's only one night. Drive home the next afternoon.

I think it's making a difference, and thats a good thing.

We took taxis for new year's eve. And good thing. Even in the small back roads of Jomtien, police check points were setup. We went through one, 3 on a scooter taxi, no helmets, etc. Not stopped. Just breezed right past some 20 cops. Makes you wonder what they are really trying to do....

Probably because they realize taxi driver was probably sober and therefore not worth stopping.

No helmets is illegal. And I've never seen a taxi driver pulled over for checks. Too well connected???

"Traffic police have been ordered to memorize the license plates and faces of their superiors after Bangkok's police chief complained yesterday that he was asked to take a breathalyzer test despite his insistence that he was not intoxicated."

Eventually, I had to tell them who I was and get out of my car and criticize them, he told reporters yesterday. wai2.gif

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1437029021[/quote}

Checked the link... Thanks for that... But... WOW!

Unbelievable... I recommend everyone clicks this link..... Although... If you are already immune to the corruption seen in Thailand, it probably won't surprise... I'm simply spun out by the blatency of the command.... And to publise it as well... Unbelievable

No!

Another silly answer the figures back up the fact motorcycles are the cause of most accidents far from car drivers killing them more like motorbike riders comiting suicide.

Please tell me how you come to that conclusion?

Having ridden here a lot, i can say sure some motorbike riders are not to UK standards. BUT the car, bus, lorry drivers are the people in main killing them.

You are talking with no knowledge and thinking like a tw#t!

No!

I don't agree specifically with DDbkh's statement but if you have ever driven a car in Thailand you would know what a stupid statement you have just made. Daily I see motorcyclists pull out, cross roads and make turns without bothering to look at the traffic. Not every car driver is always at fault. This also does not include all those who manage to wrap themselves around immovable objects or drive off elevated roads.........sad.png

Percentage wise for vehicles on the road i can't agree. I ride a lot i with no doubt i have had more close accidents with cars. But motorbike riders are the same not worse.

$20 for a DUI? It's more like 7-8,000 USD once you figure in the attorney fees, loss of license for 6 months, community service work, increase in insurance, etc. Yuck!

wai2.gif

Is your sense of humor that dead, LOL? I said it will cost you less than $20 to GET a DUI (for the beer). I never mentioned what the penalties are, LOL. tongue.png

“Eventually, I had to tell them who I was and get out of my car and criticize them,” he told reporters yesterday. wai2.gif

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1437029021

Shame the date of the article is July 2015, not exactly yesterday is it?

Cheers

Must be a different U.S. than I grew up in. Getting a DUI incurs a serious fine, possibly suspension of license, higher insurance costs, etc.

You too, LOL? I never mentioned what the penalties are, just what it would cost to get a DUI - for the beer.

Cheers.

If you read the Thai law then you would be chocked, if you have more than .05% alcohol in your system then you can get up to 6 months in prison and/or 60,000 Baht fine so it's a little more than the $20 you talk about... A friend of mine had an accident, he was drunk and crashed his car in to a tree, he had to pay 50,000 in fine but the judge spared from prison as he had to spend 3 weeks in hospital.

You too, huh? tongue.png

NeverSure, on 02 Jan 2016 - 14:52, said:

In the USA, you will find a DUI will cost you several hundreds of dollars in fines, more if you get a lawyer , along with higher can insurance rates. Usually the judge will require you to do 50-100 hours of community service...That's for the first offence...It get much worst on your second offence...

I can't believe so many missed what I actually said, LOL. tongue.png

Don't know where your from, but I got a DUI here in Arizona back in 2004, cost me $750 plus lawyers fees of about $2500, plus driving school, plus a month of AA meetings, plus 48 hours in the local County jail. Note to self: don't drink and drive in Arizona. coffee1.gif

I've seen people thrown in jail for DUI I think "Never Sure" must be drunk

You too, huh? This is unreal... tongue.png

I my home state of NJ is as follows;

Alcohol or drug related DUI with BAC of 0.10% or greater
License loss
Fines, fees & surcharges
Prison term
Community service, IDRC & Interlock
7 months–

1 year

$300–$500 fine

$230 IDRC* fee

$100 to drunk driving fund

$100 to AERF*

$1,000/year (for 3 years) surcharge

$75 to Neighborhood Services Fund

Up to 30 days
12–48 hours IDRC*

BAC 0.15% or greater: ignition interlock device during license suspension and 6 months - 1 year following restoration

As you can see just the fine is $300-$500, so a DUI cost is in the thousands not $20

One more guy can't read... cheesy.gif

Mr. or Mrs. or Miss Neversure

were did you get the $20 in the US from now 21st century 2015???

Forty (40) years ago it was already sort of like what it says above in the UK in the US.

I'm very well familiar with it because I operated a 5-towe trucks Towing Service in California at that time contracted with the CHP, Sheriffs Dep. and city Police towing in and storing the DUI vehicles in the impound yard which was located way out in the bean fields out of the city. Towing charge was $25.00 and storage was $1.00/day.

You can't read, LOL. I said it would cost less than $20 to get a DUI - for the beer.

Happy New Year, LOL. smile.png

That's how it should be,. A $20.00 fine is straight out ridiculous.

One more, LOL. smile.png

Hopefully next time someone reports on stats of this drink driving campaign they bother to explain why around only 10% of people found in violation of the drink driving traffic law had their vehicles seized.

The average cost of getting a DUI after figuring out court costs, lawyers, and increase in insurance for probably ten years will be over $10000 US dollars.