PWA puts up high sign board to warn people to use water sparingly

rooster59

PWA puts up high sign board to warn people to use water sparingly

0301005-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: A huge sign board has been put up on the Vibhavadi Rangsit highway in Bangkok’s suburb by the Provincial Waterworks Authority to warn people to conserve tap water ahead of serious water shortage in the dry season.

PWA chairman Chirachai Moonthongroi said that this was the first time in 37 years since the PWA started operational that it openly warned the public to use water sparingly and, at the same time, took precautionary steps to ensure sufficient tap water for consumption throughout the long hot season.

He disclosed that the PWA had been spending three billion baht to resolve water shortage for short, medium and long-terms. These include dredging of artesian wells and securing new raw water sources, he said.

Mr Chirachai said that the two-day water cut by the Thanyaburi waterworks unit in the middle of last year was a wakeup call for anticipated acute water shortage in the upcoming dry season.

51 waterworks units in 31 provinces are at risk of running short of raw water to be processed into tap water as the water level in the four major dams which are the main sources of raw water for making tap water has dropped to critical point.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pwa-puts-up-high-sign-board-to-warn-people-to-use-water-sparingly

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-01-03

Hose pipe ban, close car washes, err Songkran?

Nah, not going to happen, those golf courses need water, those Mercs must sparkle and the plebians need their circus.

No freedom of speech & no elections but cancel Songkran and the people would be frothing like Cujo.

Nah, not going to happen, those golf courses need water, those Mercs must sparkle and the plebians need their circus.

Exactly , please conserve water so there's enough to be wasted at Songkran.

>> A huge sign board has been put up on the Vibhavadi Rangsit highway in Bangkok’s suburb by the Provincial Waterworks Authority to warn people to conserve tap water ahead of serious water shortage in the dry season<< Quote

And now we hope that all 70 million Thais are passing the Vibhavadi Rangsit highway.....................coffee1.gif

What about using social media and/or TV ??

Oh silly me, I forgot, your brother is in the billboard business......................

"dredging of artesian wells"

Why would an artesian well need to be dredged?????

I grew up about 5 miles from this artesian well, and for the life of me, I cannot imagine how one would go about dredging it.

P4290007.JPG

If water reaches the ground surface under the natural pressure of the aquifer, the well is called a flowing artesian well. An aquifer is a geologic layer of porous and permeable material such as sand and gravel, limestone, or sandstone, through which water flows and is stored.

So the rain making department were not as successful as published. Who would have thought!

Don't be so negative.

Sustainable farming, an idea from the same department, is extremely successful.....................

Or ??

Yes a giant billboard will galvanise the nation. Oh wait, my neighbour in Chiang Mai is hosing down his driveway and the condo at Meechok is doing the same. Darn that billboard is not big enough. Maybe a few attitude readjustment sessions are needed.

Will this be the begining of the end of my 150 baht water bill per month?!

Lucky---mines 300 baht, but do water the garden and use an auto wash machine

Just to add All this is a Joke---not the Song Khran festival in it'self but the way OVER THE TOP use of water in April---does not make sense ----

A good first-step by PWA, but a lot more needs to be done.

Still no campaign by the junta to encourage home owners and tourist accommodation establishments to install water-saving devices.

Still no information leaflets issued to arriving tourists altering them of the water problems (and seeking their help to conserve water).

post-209291-0-77757200-1451802022_thumb.

Is there a difference between those plebians [sic] that you refer to and those who haughtily consider themselves not to be plebeians on this forum who don't seem to know that Songkran is in April, a time of year that on average sees about 6 times the rainfall of this month?

Where did the report say that there car wash and hose pipe bans?

I hope that you don't use water for anything other than the absolute necessities as you feel so strong about it.

Perhaps lawfully preventing retailers from hosing down the outside of their shops every day might help. Each day where I live, major hose down the land in front of their shopping centre pouring hundreds of gallons down the drain on n the space of an hour or so, instead if putting a little effort into cleaning. I recently complained about a government building because when they watered the plants, the hose was so full of holes the pavement and road got soaked daily. Surprisingly a week later they had a new hose. Moan over, but there are many easy low cost solutions to reducing water usage

Time for a bigger water storage tank because I think this coming year water cutoffs to more major residential areas will occur as compared to last year. I live in Bangkok and didn't experience any water cutoff last year, but there were days where the soi water main pressure was greatly reduced in pressure...pressure so low it was not enough to climb up a 2 meter high pipe to the top of my water storage tank to fill it...then water storage tank feeds my house water pump.

My current 850L tank is large enough to provide about a 1.5 days of household normal water usage when the soi water main is not providing water to refill the tank for whatever reasons like a broke water main somewhere, water shortage, etc. I've got enough room to replace it with a 1600L tank for sure or just maybe a 2000L tank that would give me 3 to 4 days of water usage....I just may do that and try to sell the old tank.

Time for a bigger water storage tank because I think this coming year water cutoffs to more major residential areas will occur as compared to last year. I live in Bangkok and didn't experience any water cutoff last year, but there were days where the soi water main pressure was greatly reduced in pressure...pressure so low it was not enough to climb up a 2 meter high pipe to the top of my water storage tank to fill it...then water storage tank feeds my house water pump.

My current 850L tank is large enough to provide about a 1.5 days of household normal water usage when the soi water main is not providing water to refill the tank for whatever reasons like a broke water main somewhere, water shortage, etc. I've got enough room to replace it with a 1600L tank for sure or just maybe a 2000L tank that would give me 3 to 4 days of water usage....I just may do that and try to sell the old tank.

You will need a huge tank to store 2 month's consumption...

One could I suppose point the finger at successive governments who didn't plan for the future or the past 2 decades of dereliction of duty , however the pony has bolted and now the job ahead is to rectify this massive problem , however the fast track solution needs to be replaced with a planned solution..............................coffee1.gif .

Could always ban water at songkran; by then i suspect water will be in very short supply.

We have a 550 lt tank and we had some family come and stay and ran out of water, because of poor supply in the village. Think i need to add another tank?

You will need a huge tank to store 2 month's consumption...
Or a swimming pool!

:)

Edited by JAG