is penang?a great escape from c/mai smog 2016

evenstevens

a belated happy new yr to all readerssmile.png

have recently done a research on penang,and to me find it a interesting place, to escape from c/mai,s up coming smog

while george town looks the pea, ,can any member, with experience give E/S a heads up on penang ,incl george town, accomodation , best suburb, eateries etc etc

my research finds that penang compares very favourable to c/mai in many ways

particular tourist visas, 3 months on entrybiggrin.png and FULL retirement visas requirements are a dream when comparing it to t/land, not to mention the zoo,s mess at c/mai

if u are reading this nancy L, penang maybe is destination for u, no queue cards honey, or dawn services smile.pnglaugh.png

Edited by evenstevens

I do not recall a clear day in Penang when I used to do visa runs there. And during the Indonesian burning season it can be as bad as Chiang Mai (or even worse).

That said Georgetown is a pleasant step back into colonial times for a few days - but unless you want Indian food would not consider it much of a step up. But my experience is dated as have not been in the last decade.

Did visa runs to Penang 15 years ago.The days when the Indian book shops/visa agents would have a courier service to the Thai Embassy and they would take your passport and get a visa for a total service fee cost of 200 baht. Just meant a one night stay.The cultural mix of Indian /Malay /Chinese led to some very interesting,tasty and cheap food,alcohol was very expensive.

The beach areas are not inviting at all.A friend who was there recently confirmed that is still the case. Interesting night life.Air quality is questionable depending on wind direction and whats happening in neighbouring countries.

To escape the annual CM "smokethon" there is no need to leave the country .Our beach hideaway Bangsaphan, 2 hours by road south of Hua Hin, has a nice beach ,excellent small resorts,bars/restaurants and a friendly local bunch of expats.We would actually choose to live their permanently but infrastruture, hospitals ,decent shopping etc is almost non existent it means a trip up the road to Hua Hin.HH is now of course serviced by Kan Air from CM for as low as 900 baht, one way, if on special. Ban Krut and a few other smaller areas are other options all the way down the coast past HH.

I do not recall a clear day in Penang when I used to do visa runs there. And during the Indonesian burning season it can be as bad as Chiang Mai (or even worse).

That said Georgetown is a pleasant step back into colonial times for a few days - but unless you want Indian food would not consider it much of a step up. But my experience is dated as have not been in the last decade.

The Malay food is excellent, and also a good range of Chinese foods.

The UN special area village is very interesting, as a heap of the old Chinese houses have been restored, saving them from "developers". Nice beach to walk along, visiting the cable car and hills is worth doing mid-week. Avoid holidays.

We were in Penang for almost 4 months a few years. We rented an amazing, huge, brand new condo on the 26th floor of Times Square right in town and on top of a shopping mall with a supermarket, but it looked as though it were closed last year, still there are a few other supermarkets in town. On a short lease with cable TV, internet, electricity and water included we paid what was the equivalent of 32,000/month, but as I said this was so new we had to take the wrappings off a lot of things because it wasn't even ready to be let, it was 200 sq mt and really luxurious furnishings with a fantastic fully equipped kitchen. Accommodation can be had much cheaper of course in older buildings or ones not smack in the town centre. We found costs pretty much the same as here, some things more some things less. Beer was quite a bit more but wine was a serious lot less, supermarkets were a good bit cheaper on a lot of things, a good bit more expensive on others - I think cleaning supplies were more and food was less. Much easier to get around with the excellent Malaysian bus service, both around town and out for 2 or 3 day trips on the intercity buses. Street and canteen food is magnificent (I'm biased because I don't like Thai food at all) and we alternated Chinese and Indian which we found much cheaper than here. On the whole the people are very - perhaps overly - friendly and all older Chinese and Indians young and old spoke English as well as we do.

Penang is a Chinese city, but it's still hard to be out of earshot of the call to prayer so be aware of that. Taxi drivers were horrible, refused to use the meter even though there are big signs on the doors and back of seats saying it's illegal not to, getting your phone out, a convincing shrug and 'I'll just call the taxi authority then' (number on all signs) did the trick most times, but only do this if you know the way because they'll take you the longest possible way if they can get away with it.

Can't remember what the burning period was looking like - we left early February - but we've been to Penang many times over the last 15 years and pollution from the burning in Indonesia has often been a problem, even though they have good sea breezes to blow it away. We were a bit further south in September and it was awful, pure pea soup every day, but I think that is their main pollution period. Look up the listings for KL, there's very little difference between the two cities. Locals won't go in the sea if you pay them, it's very polluted, but pretty to look at. A couple of expats from here and Philipines said that they and their Asian wives were getting a lot of snooty looks from European expats (mainly English) who are pretty much all couples who do 6 months/6 months and are said to be cliquey.

I think you'd enjoy yourself, only one way to find out; by the time you realise you don't really like it, you'd have spent a few weeks there and if you add a couple of 3 or 4 night trips the burning season here will be over. Of course, being so much closer to the equator it's going to be a lot hotter than here.

As with anywhere in Malaysia, try one night (might have to be a very close hotel) before committing to anything as the location of mosques and karaoke rooms isn't always obvious.

Other places you could try for a getaway from the smoke would be southern Thailand, the east coast of Vietnam and the islands in the Philippines, but check pollutions levels before committing. Also, around Bali and I think Java it's rainy season so no burning off. Try a different one every year and report back smile.png

That was my experience too when I did visa-runs there.

Georgetown itself is a very interesting place with many well-preserved colonial buildings and old neighbourhoods that haven't been modernized out of recognition. The island of Penang has a lot to see as well.

First mentioned by the Chinese explorer Cheng Ho in 1405, Penang was subsequently visited by Europeans so often that a cape on the north coast of the island was given the name Ferringhi [farang].

In 1786 after prolonged negotiations with the Sultan of Kedah, the East India Company sent Captain Francis Light with an expedition to take possession of Penang and found the settlement of Georgetown.

This fascinating history can be read in summary in Ian Morson's excellent book, The Connection Phuket Penang and Adelaide [The Siam Society 1993].

Was there in September. The smog is far, far worse than anything I've seen here.

I think part of that is due to the fires in Indonesia. As for retirement visa be well prepared to spend a fortune.

I remember posting something from the hotel we were in (not Penang, but September) - our room overlooked the pool and at one stage you couldn't actually see the rotten thing. Much, much worse than here but I think it's levelled off now due to different rainy seasons closer to the equator.

They have been talking about changing the retirement visa because they've only had a tiny percentage of estimated numbers apply, it is a big commitment (including proof of medical insurance which in my opinion is a good idea) but you can buy more expensive houses (minimum amount so expats don't skew the housing market and block out locals), but from my experience they will never be successful as by far and away the majority of people are English retired couples who live there for half the year. We did speak to one couple who have been doing back to back 90 days on entry for 8 years and nobody cares. As long as they leave the country every 3 months, their only concern would be that they can't open a local bank account as they don't have an ID card. The government acknowledges just how much expats and semi-expats put into the economy. Flights from KL are to the entire Air Asia network and so cheap that they would compare to the extension and re-entry permit fees here, so leaving the country every 90 days is in no way a hardship - particularly for those who are only going to be there for 6 months anyway.

The thing I like about Malaysia best is that people genuinely want to know your opinion. Jaded travellers, such as us when we've been hanging around the tourist spots in South East Asia for long enough, see someone approach them and try to engage them in conversation and roll eyes looking for a quick exit plan, but almost every single time I feel ashamed of myself for thinking that when all they want is to ask you where you're from and what you think of their country and have you been here or there - got a lot of tips on undocumented attractions which turned out to be fantastic including hastily written instructions for what bus to get and where to get off, and an unbelievable number of invitations to lunch or dinner back at their house, or parties or weddings. We've been to several (never freeloading, I suspect if we were younger we wouldn't get the invites) and we have never been poisoned or drugged or treated with anything but great respect. We have friends, and I mean really good friends, all over the west coast of Malaysia - almost all of them ethnic Indian, but some Chinese as well. Malays tend to be a lot less friendly.

If not Chiang Mai, we would be living somewhere between KL and Penang, probably on high ground to get a cooler season, and I'm quite sure very happy (I hate the politics though).

Penang is famous for its Baba Nyonya cuisine. Also known as Peranakan cuisine. It's a cross between Chinese, Malaysian, and, in Penang, Thai cuisine. It's one of the great relatively undiscovered cuisines of the world. To start, just look for restaurants with Nyonya in the name.

As for the weather, I've been there 3 times and never had a problem with smoke. As someone else remarked, it comes from the burning in Indonesias so just avoid the place during that season.

Was there in September. The smog is far, far worse than anything I've seen here.

I think part of that is due to the fires in Indonesia. As for retirement visa be well prepared to spend a fortune.

Yes it is due to Indonesian burning. It is horrible though. Can't even see the sun sometimes in Penang. Mind you Singapore gets it bad these days as well.

Singapore seems to cop it a lot worse than Penang at least going on the pollution figures - because it's closer to Borneo where most of the burning is??? Bigger land mass than Sumatra which gets blamed for Penang a lot, and yet Sumatra itself doesn't seem to get it anywhere near as bad as Malaysia during that time of year for some reason.

Can't do a great deal about bush fires, they're a fact of life but it's beyond time that the governments got serious about educating the locals and closing down the businesses that do it. I read during the year of one company fined in Indonesia that didn't pay and they were Malaysian.

Nice to see so many positive and supportive comments. I've heard the sea is non-swimmable, but then, so is Jom Tien beach, where I ended up with a skin infection on my last trip there.

Nonya cooking is delicious, and I'm not so keen on Thai food. I buy heaps of Malaysian prepared spices and so on to make rendang and the like, mostly "AYAM' brand. A pity it's not sold in Thailand apart from their baked beans and sardines.

one thing that i will never forget was the festival at the batu caves which was up a mountain acessed by steps,tooooooooo many for me.

but seeing all these people with steel arrows through their cheeks and noses,being carried on make-shift chairs.

i and mrs.meat would love to go back,but cant leave our beloved sam.

We were in Penang for almost 4 months a few years. We rented an amazing, huge, brand new condo on the 26th floor of Times Square right in town and on top of a shopping mall with a supermarket, but it looked as though it were closed last year, still there are a few other supermarkets in town. On a short lease with cable TV, internet, electricity and water included we paid what was the equivalent of 32,000/month, but as I said this was so new we had to take the wrappings off a lot of things because it wasn't even ready to be let, it was 200 sq mt and really luxurious furnishings with a fantastic fully equipped kitchen. Accommodation can be had much cheaper of course in older buildings or ones not smack in the town centre. We found costs pretty much the same as here, some things more some things less. Beer was quite a bit more but wine was a serious lot less, supermarkets were a good bit cheaper on a lot of things, a good bit more expensive on others - I think cleaning supplies were more and food was less. Much easier to get around with the excellent Malaysian bus service, both around town and out for 2 or 3 day trips on the intercity buses. Street and canteen food is magnificent (I'm biased because I don't like Thai food at all) and we alternated Chinese and Indian which we found much cheaper than here. On the whole the people are very - perhaps overly - friendly and all older Chinese and Indians young and old spoke English as well as we do.

Penang is a Chinese city, but it's still hard to be out of earshot of the call to prayer so be aware of that. Taxi drivers were horrible, refused to use the meter even though there are big signs on the doors and back of seats saying it's illegal not to, getting your phone out, a convincing shrug and 'I'll just call the taxi authority then' (number on all signs) did the trick most times, but only do this if you know the way because they'll take you the longest possible way if they can get away with it.

Can't remember what the burning period was looking like - we left early February - but we've been to Penang many times over the last 15 years and pollution from the burning in Indonesia has often been a problem, even though they have good sea breezes to blow it away. We were a bit further south in September and it was awful, pure pea soup every day, but I think that is their main pollution period. Look up the listings for KL, there's very little difference between the two cities. Locals won't go in the sea if you pay them, it's very polluted, but pretty to look at. A couple of expats from here and Philipines said that they and their Asian wives were getting a lot of snooty looks from European expats (mainly English) who are pretty much all couples who do 6 months/6 months and are said to be cliquey.

I think you'd enjoy yourself, only one way to find out; by the time you realise you don't really like it, you'd have spent a few weeks there and if you add a couple of 3 or 4 night trips the burning season here will be over. Of course, being so much closer to the equator it's going to be a lot hotter than here.

As with anywhere in Malaysia, try one night (might have to be a very close hotel) before committing to anything as the location of mosques and karaoke rooms isn't always obvious.

Other places you could try for a getaway from the smoke would be southern Thailand, the east coast of Vietnam and the islands in the Philippines, but check pollutions levels before committing. Also, around Bali and I think Java it's rainy season so no burning off. Try a different one every year and report back smile.png

Love Bali. Are smog season comes in on the tail end of there rainy season. We always went in June their dry season. A couple of times hit there in the rainy season not to bad.

Are you saying that the water around Penang is so polluted you can not swim in it?

Unfortunately the Straits of Malacca is reportedly the most polluted shipping lane in the world. That and the storm water and other waste that can be very clearly seen running down the beach at the far end of Batu Ferangi. As I said though, can be very pretty to look at and even for walking down.

I love Penang for short visits - Georgetown, roti canai breakfast, couple of sleazy bars along Lebuh Street, botanical gardens, Fort Cornwallis, Penang Hill and Ocean Drive. I think boring to live though. Air Asia does Chiang Mai to Kuala Lumphur to Penang.

Can confirm that the smog there was awful in October. Heavy rain didn't shift it either and the tourist office said they were expecting it to last well into 2016. Nice place but shame about the pollution. No views at all for our whole 4-day stay.

Penang, and Georgetown in particular, have come a long way in the last few years. The selection of restaurants, and cafes in particular, is much better than it used to be. I would go so far as to say that some of the cafes in old Georgetown are far superior to pretty much everything in Thailand when it comes to breads, delicatessen style, and fusion foods. Coffees and smoothies are also great... i.e. don't add vast quantities of sugar.

There are now several shopping malls which are on par with Bangkok's, but you also get the advantages of a better bus service (no trains though), and tons more trees and parks. Far less litter too.

This time of year the skies are clear, and should be for the next few months. The Indonesian burning doesn't kick in until much later in the year.

I spent over 4 months living on Guerney Drive and absolutely loved it.

Like everything else, it depends upon what you a seeking. If it is to get away from the smog, many posters suggest you may find smog in Penang as well. If it is to enjoy a few creature comforts--a nice hotel, a good meal, a night on the town--be prepared to pay considerably more. If it is to answer prayer call, you will have many chances. If it is to eat chicken rice, by all means go.

Did visa runs to Penang 15 years ago.The days when the Indian book shops/visa agents would have a courier service to the Thai Embassy and they would take your passport and get a visa for a total service fee cost of 200 baht. Just meant a one night stay.The cultural mix of Indian /Malay /Chinese led to some very interesting,tasty and cheap food,alcohol was very expensive.

The beach areas are not inviting at all.A friend who was there recently confirmed that is still the case. Interesting night life.Air quality is questionable depending on wind direction and whats happening in neighbouring countries.

To escape the annual CM "smokethon" there is no need to leave the country .Our beach hideaway Bangsaphan, 2 hours by road south of Hua Hin, has a nice beach ,excellent small resorts,bars/restaurants and a friendly local bunch of expats.We would actually choose to live their permanently but infrastruture, hospitals ,decent shopping etc is almost non existent it means a trip up the road to Hua Hin.HH is now of course serviced by Kan Air from CM for as low as 900 baht, one way, if on special. Ban Krut and a few other smaller areas are other options all the way down the coast past HH.

What is it with you guys, you find the perfect spot for you, and you tell everyone about it...?!?!?! you want to see it spoiled like the rest of all the nice places....????

Hospital at Bang Saphan ????? I hope I never have to go there anymore. one of the worse in Thailand. almost cost me my life...and it did cost the life of my Swiss neighbour's best friend.

I never saw such a utter incompetence by a doctor....it's a much to long story to tell but I'll avoid every hospital between Bang Saphan and Hua Hin, A 200 km more North. And even in Hua Hin you are not safe. there are 2 hospitals a good and a bad one....Bangkok Hospital In Hua Hin saved my life after a stroke. when doctors at Bang Saphan and Prachuap Kiri Khan hospitals said, I just had a headache and prescribed me paracetamol....

Best regards.