Good Mexican Food

grtaylor

"One major challenge will be when Taco Bell comes to Thailand again.........just around the corner. "

I could kill for some of Taco Bells stuff... if you have some inside info about TB in the LOS please do tell :o

Edited by kbvicar

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not eaten at Miguels and am intrigued by what people are saying about it. The next time I am in Chiang Mai I will give it a try.

Right now, Chiang Mai is packed with American missionaries on vacation from China and you can't hardly get a seat in Miguels all day.

REAL California style Mexican food! :o

Miguel sounds ok but I'm in bangkok and doing as the thais do - steerin' clear of Mexi food. My gf despises the smell when I've made it. She said it smells like arab or indian food. Man she hates mexican and I suspect other thais feel the same

At least the Thais that go to our Sunrise Tacos restaurants like Mexican food. In fact at the Emporium the majority of our guests are Thai and our sales are not shabby, being the #1 volume seller the last 6 months out of 14 other restaurants that sell Thai, Italian, Chinese and Ribs. It’s in the Park Food Hall located on the 5th floor of the Emporium so if you have some idle time, just sit there on a Sat or Sunday and count the orders from the Thais.

Last night we did a USTMAG THAI event, out of the 110 guests that had reservations for the Mexican night at the compound, 83 of them were Thai. We also did catering at lunch for the US Embassy staff the last two weeks ( 3 days each week) and quite a number of Thai employees bought our Mexican food and then order it again the next day. So they do like to try new food and many that do try, come back to my restaurants.

When I open my new 40 seat restaurant at Siam Paragon this week, I’m sure it will be the same. More Thais than foreigners. For this I’m very happy as it is important to serve the largest nationality where your restaurant is located.

One point I like to add, even though we get some Thais ( around 15% of the guests) at the Sukhumvit Rd Soi 12- Soi 14 Sunrise Tacos location. This is mostly visited by foreigners and not the location I'm using as an example.

www.sunrisetacos.com

24 hour delivery now. Order online from 10:30 till 10:30 p.m. at http://www.chefsxp.com/home.php?manufacturers_id=98

Otherwise call 02-229-4851 afterhours.

Yes, chili con carne was allegedly/legendarily invented in San Antonio de Bexar, before the warmongering Protestant Tejanos stole the northern territory from the warmongering Catholic Mejicanos. Much ?Mexican? food has been invented or developed on the northern, brave side of the Rio Grande. Still, since New Mexico and California were still part of Mexico, they can lay claim to having their own authentic Mexican food.

I have a meal almost every week at Miguel's. I think it is still closed on Mondays, but busy every other day. Taco salad!! Firehouse chili con carne! Other delicacies, deliciosos...

Greg - I know it's been asked a few times before, but do you have any plans for a Silom branch?

I won't be doing it myself. I will however help a franchisee open on Silom RD. Looking to be ready to start franchising Sunrise Tacos in June.

www.sunrisetacos.com

Silom road (Patpong end) has 3 Mexican restaurants that I know of already.

Room for one more???

Room for one more???

Seems to be demand for it. Not a night goes by that I'm not ask at least once " When will Sunrise Tacos open on Silom? " No Mexican place is open 24 hours on Silom and that is one segment we can serve.

www.sunrisetacos.com

Greg - I know it's been asked a few times before, but do you have any plans for a Silom branch?

I won't be doing it myself. I will however help a franchisee open on Silom RD. Looking to be ready to start franchising Sunrise Tacos in June.

www.sunrisetacos.com

Room for one more???

Two of those, Coyote and the other one on the corner of Patpong Road whose name I forget, are proper, sit down Tex-Mex restaurants, not of the same style as Sunrise Tacos. The only one that could be considered a direct rival to Sunrise is Taco Loco - but Sunrise is far, far better than that place in every way. I think a Sunrise Tacos in Silom would be a great success. Looks like we'll have to wait until at least June though... :o

Miguel sounds ok but I'm in bangkok and doing as the thais do - steerin' clear of Mexi food. My gf despises the smell when I've made it. She said it smells like arab or indian food. Man she hates mexican and I suspect other thais feel the same

Here is another example how much Mexican food is being accepted in Thai culture.

You may have heard about this popular show about Thai air hostess.

Tomorrow night “Monday”, the soap opera " Air Hostess War" will be filming a scene at Sunrise Tacos around 10 p.m.

Here is the trailer

http://www.worldhum.com/weblog/item/thai_a...s_war_20080122/

Have not seen the script if a woman is involved in the scene. But do know someone will be buying tacos at Sunrise Tacos and then they will run into someone at the parking lot and they get into a discussion.

Sounds like a boring scene unless it turns into a little catfight inside Sunrise Tacos restaurant or in the parking lot after the discussion. :o

www.sunrisetacos.com

Coyote on Sukhumvit and soi Convent is by far the bestestest tex mex food in Thailand, if not Asia. For some reason they can't access hot sauce like Sunbelt, err, I mean Sunrise Tacos :o

I know the owners well of Coyote. We in fact set up a company for them. They are good people and I respect them.

Coyote has pretty girls serving lots of margaritas and Mexican food. It’s more a theme restaurant franchise concept with 80 different margaritas. Their food prices are on average 100- 200% higher than ours as they get in general the target market of upper level spending expats and tourists that are looking for a fun atmosphere or out on a special occasion.

Our concept at Sunrise Tacos is to position itself as a mass market brand that is convenient everyday and open 24 hours; we always prepare our food fresh, and serve value for money portions. From day one we wanted to go after the Thai market while also serving all local expats and tourist. We do this in an open kitchen so the guest can see the food being prepared. It's this positioning that contributes to our 'modest success', both at the restaurant and home delivery. Our reputation is seen everyday as happy guests return again and again and our delivery numbers have increase every month. I also monitor our guest’s reactions to the service and food in the store to make sure our customers continue to think our food is "great."

The Coyote owners and I both agree its different concepts and themes. Looking at Coyote’s customer base and ours, it is a different group. We usually don’t take business away from each other because of this variance of our guests wants.

As for food taste on whose is tastier? Just depends on who you talk to. We both have fans of our food.

By the way, Coyote does bring in some real hot sauce in bottles from other countries. I think if you ask, they will let you use it.

We use habaneros to make our John's super hot salsa fresh and hot everyday.

www.sunrisetacos.com

I would agree, differnt concept and huge price difference. It would be fair to compare Sunrise with Sabrosa and in my expirience Sunrise has been by far the best, I now order online about twice a week. When is the Paragon branch open?

I would agree, differnt concept and huge price difference. It would be fair to compare Sunrise with Sabrosa and in my expirience Sunrise has been by far the best, I now order online about twice a week. When is the Paragon branch open?

Siam Paragon open yesterday. Sunrise Tacos is next to Secret Recipe on the ground floor. ( near the supermarket) We have 40 seats so can handle a good size group. So far business has been good. We have been very busy with a constant stream of Thai guests that are new to Sunrise Tacos( have not been at the Emporium or Suk Soi 12 Sunrise Tacos locations.)

www.sunrisetacos.com

I really enjoy sunrise taco, but seem to have the worse luck with them. I used the chefxp delivery, ordered the fajita but the manager forgot to check the order apparently and the tortilla were forgot. :D . Anyway waiting another hour for them to be delivered :o

Edited by Onyxia

Being a Mexi food lover from way way back in the USA where good mexi is (was?) plentiful. I can unequivockly attest that good Mexican food does not exist in Thailand so it is best to just write it off so you won't get disappointed. There is plenty of very good thai food here which seems to be the best option. Trying to find good Mexi here is like trying to find a good beer or bottle of wine, it aint gonna happen. Good thai food-yes, good lookin' chicks-yes, good beer-no, good mexi-negativo. There's a lotta good things here and Mexican food aint one of them, trust me on that

When you have tried Miguel's Cafe in Chiang Mai, you will be much more qualified to give an opinion.

A fair number of Mexican food lovers that have lived in California, Arizona, Texas and Mexico have stated that Miguel's food would be acceptable eating even back in the heart of Mexican cuisine country.

No, it wouldn't be the best place in town back there, but not the worst either. Pretty good for little Chiang Mai. :o

I really enjoy sunrise taco, but seem to have the worse luck with them. I used the chefxp delivery, ordered the fajita but the manager forgot to check the order apparently and the tortilla were forgot. :D . Anyway waiting another hour for them to be delivered :o

Very sorry bout that. I was there when Chefxp called. It was not their mistake. It was ours. Will never happen again, at least with that clerk, I let her go after it happen. Even though I'm short of staff with the additional expansion to Paragon and being non stop busy. I'd rather be more short of staff than have mistakes happen like this again and hear " I forgot".

She screwed up another order the night before... customer ordered 12 crispy taco shells and she sends only three shells. She had the nerve to say " At least I sent the other part of the order, the dozen flour tortillas." Since this order, and letting her go. All orders ( well over 50 deliveries) have been good to go for the last 24 hours. My only regret was not biting the bullet and letting her go sooner. My mistake.

A fair number of Mexican food lovers that have lived in California, Arizona, Texas and Mexico have stated that Miguel's food would be acceptable eating even back in the heart of Mexican cuisine country.

Miguel's is good. I must say however we as well get the same comments about Sunrise Tacos. Countless times, every night, I'm told " I'm from Texas" "I'm from L.A", " I'm from ....", etc " and I know good Mexican food and this is great. Thank you for having this restaurant here" Many times I'm ask " is this a franchise from the States" so for quite a number of people, we fit in with what they are used to in the States. Any regular to Sunrise, I'm sure has either overheard comments from other tables like this or said it themselves. We do our best so always nice to hear when you make a persons life a little better in Bangkok.

www.sunrisetacos.com

good beer-no

Actually, more and more places are starting to serve imported Belgian and German beers now I've noticed and not for the well over the top prices that the Conrad was charging when they were the one of the first to bring them into Bangkok. Excellent beer can now be found, and Bangkok's all the better for it.

• 2 months later...

I got to say that ive been to a few mexican restaurants in Bangkok cause i love the stuff and there arent too many places that meet my standards. However, saying that there are a few gems. One in particular is Mexican Tartars on Rambutri Road near Khaosan Road. It across the street from the pizza company. Its run by this pretty cool and friendly Canadian guy who sticks out a bit cause he's Tall and somewhat lanky amongst a bunch of short asian thais. But the food is excellent. It tastes like real mexican food for those of you who have been to mexico. I eat there just about everyday now and the prices are better than most other mexican joints in bkk. So if you're up for excellent food, great service, and basically a good mexican experience check it out.

Been to both Coyote on Soi Convent and Sunrise near Suk Soi 12 numerous times....

Gotta agree with Greg. Coyote has him beat hands down when it comes to 1) the vast breadth of their margarita menu, 2) the "suay" factor of the serving ladies, and 3) the advantages/comforts of a newly done, upmarket sit-down restaurant.

But, for almost everything else, including the biggies of value, price and the flavor/authenticity of the food, I'd argue Sunrise comes out on top of Coyote. And, as an aside, Sunrise also mixes a darned good regular and mango margarita at a good price.

When I want an evening out or want to run the gauntlet of flavored margaritas, I'd choose Coyote. But when I want to eat good, hearty Mexican-style food at a good price, I'd pick Sunrise every time...on their "good" days.

PS - Don't forget Charlie Brown's just off of Suk Soi 11 - they make a tasty regular margarita, have the advantages of a sit-down restaurant, some nice "hometown" Thai ladies on staff, and a mountain order of good nachos that I wish Sunrise would take a lesson from.

• 2 weeks later...

No, pretty much everyone in Chiang Mai knows that I own a bookstore. I just feel that we are very lucky to have such a good, authentic Mexican restaurat in Chiang Mai when they are so hard to come by.

I waited MANY YEARS for a good burritto! :o

I got to say that ive been to a few mexican restaurants in Bangkok cause i love the stuff and there arent too many places that meet my standards. However, saying that there are a few gems. One in particular is Mexican Tartars on Rambutri Road near Khaosan Road. It across the street from the pizza company. Its run by this pretty cool and friendly Canadian guy who sticks out a bit cause he's Tall and somewhat lanky amongst a bunch of short asian thais. But the food is excellent. It tastes like real mexican food for those of you who have been to mexico. I eat there just about everyday now and the prices are better than most other mexican joints in bkk. So if you're up for excellent food, great service, and basically a good mexican experience check it out.

Yeah, I eat there whenever I'm in Khao San Road now. The food is pretty good.

Been to both Coyote on Soi Convent and Sunrise near Suk Soi 12 numerous times....

Gotta agree with Greg. Coyote has him beat hands down when it comes to 1) the vast breadth of their margarita menu, 2) the "suay" factor of the serving ladies, and 3) the advantages/comforts of a newly done, upmarket sit-down restaurant.

But, for almost everything else, including the biggies of value, price and the flavor/authenticity of the food, I'd argue Sunrise comes out on top of Coyote. And, as an aside, Sunrise also mixes a darned good regular and mango margarita at a good price.

When I want an evening out or want to run the gauntlet of flavored margaritas, I'd choose Coyote. But when I want to eat good, hearty Mexican-style food at a good price, I'd pick Sunrise every time...on their "good" days.

PS - Don't forget Charlie Brown's just off of Suk Soi 11 - they make a tasty regular margarita, have the advantages of a sit-down restaurant, some nice "hometown" Thai ladies on staff, and a mountain order of good nachos that I wish Sunrise would take a lesson from.

Thanks for the feedback.

By the way, we may have started to catch up on the "suay" factor. Have four new waitresses that were previously presenters at Bitec that are very cute and have a bubbly personality. They are seniors at a University looking to improve their conversational English and make some spare cash as a waitress. This pipeline continues we may eventually catch up with Coyote on having pretty servers. :o

Other good news…

post-2725-1209543680_thumb.png post-2725-1209543705_thumb.png

Cinco de Mayo or the Fifth of May is a day that is celebrated all over the world.

In Mexico or wherever the culture of Mexico is celebrated — people gather to have a fiesta in honor of the event.

This festival observes the 1862 victory of 4,000 ill-equipped Mexicans over 8,000 well-equipped French invaders. The battle known as the battle of Puebla took place on...(you guessed it) May 5.

Today, all is forgiven, with fiestas planned in Mexico and in many communities around the world. Gringos who have little idea why they are coming to a Cinco de Mayo celebration are happy to commemorate the day and join in the fun and parties on May 5th.

Cinco de Mayo is on Monday and Sunrise Tacos is ready to give guests a fiesta of their own! Festivities will include a giant frozen margarita with flavors of Lime, Mango and Fresh Strawberry. You also will get to keep the giant souvenir glass! This Margarita by- the- yard ™ (800 ml or 27 ounce glass) glass comes with 3 shots of tequila and 1 shot of triple sec along with the freshly squeezed lime, mango or strawberry juice for only 199 Baht + Vat (50% off the still low price at Sukhumvit Soi 12.) This offer is valid Monday May 5th at the Sukhumvit soi 12 and Siam Paragon Branch.

Mexican food is a huge part of celebrating Cinco de Mayo. To celebrate this fun holiday and all the tasty meals that go with it, for every 500 Baht your party spends on our delicious food at Sunrise Tacos that day; you will get one free “I Love Tacos” or “I Love Burritos” shirt. (Value of 250 Baht.) This offer is valid for the Emporium, Siam Paragon and Sukhumvit Soi 12 locations or also valid Monday when you call for delivery at 02-229-4851 or order online at http://www.chefsxp.com/home.php?manufacturers_id=98. Delivery is 24 hours a day.

Be sure to come out and celebrate with us at one of our biggest fiestas of the year!

www.sunrisetacos.com

Thanks for the update on Cinco de Mayo promotions.. Those are nice...I'll be sure to swing by....for a big mango margarita to celebrate....

It's also nice to hear about the wait staff.... Some of the past ones seemed... a bit... disinterested at times...

But.. just for the record.... while some feminine eye candy is always nice.... the main thing... as I know you know... is the FOOD and DRINK!!!! Just keep on that...and everything will be good....

When I mentioned about the Coyote ladies in a prior post...I think... it was just responding to what another poster had previously said... Some Mexican food place could have poor/bad food...and the HOTTEST ladies in BKK...and it wouldn't get me in the door... (well... almost!!!!) hhehehehehehe...... :o:D:D