A ? for PEA

Chook

Why is it that if you live on one side of the road you do not have to pay for the poles or the wire BUT if you live on the other side you have to pay for the pole & the wire that crosses the road with the meter on the other side even though the pole I payed for is outside the land & I do not own it even though I payed for it & is the same pole that the meter could go on but just on the wrong side of the road is this Thai logic able to rip people off just to make a few more Bt with NO thought about customer Totally confused Chook

Hi People Thank you for your reply's Bull The meter is going on the pole on the other side of the road BUT I would like it on the pole I payed for on my side of the road (At a cost of 5'000 bt) I have to pay for the cable to cross the road from the meter WHY???

You would pay for the pole and cable anyway, does it really matter that your meter is on the other side of the road?

PEA decide where their meter goes, probably keeping it convenient for the meter reading chap so he doesn't miss you.

In the big scheme of things is the 5-10k it's going to cost a major issue?

Everyone has to pay for the initial meter to be installed and connected. Everyone has to pay for any additional cable, connections and poles. In your case you have already paid for and installed the pole. Most locals run their own cable to where the meter will be sited, either themselves or by hired help. Theirs nothing to stop you running all of the cables yourself and leaving them draped over the area required, thus only paying for connections. Hardly worth the trouble methinks but possible. Out in the countryside, Iv seen long runs of cables supported by a selection of bamboo poles running down a private access. Presumably supplying a remote building or farm and almost certainly not installed by the electric company.

I don't think it's a rip off. I think it's standard procedure. It's also similar to the way things are done in the UK, excepting that you can't run cables and poles yourself there.

You do not have to pay for the existing pole on one side of the street because it is already there.

You do have to pay for a new pole on your side of the street (or anywhere else) because it is newly installed equipment.

Strange, but true.

Hi People The pole on the other side where the meter has to go is new that PEA payed for (We are on the end of the run) but as I had to put my pole on my side of the road I have to pay for the wire across the road It is not the cost I am complaining about it is the principle that my meter has to go on the op side the guy from PEA does not have to walk he rides a motor bike so crossing the road is no problem chook

It's not your meter. It's the PEA's meter.

Indeed, and they decide where it goes.

I took a wander round the village last evening. Like most places the power poles run down one side of the road, all the meters are also on that side of the road. So our OP is not alone.

From another place

4th January

I've just had a conversation with the PEA as our temporary meter was installed.

The largest meter available from our local PEA is a 30(100)A cost for meter is baht 12,800

A 15(45)A meter costs baht 4,600 electricity cost is the same for both.

In answer to "chook"

We also discussed the way of getting the power across the small street. The options were to pay the PEA for them to install one of their concrete poles on our side of the street, or because the soi is so narrow we could install our own steel pole and they would permit us to run the power overhead from their pole to our one. I didn't get the exact distance they would permit the use of our own steel pole but I think it may have been that 4 metres was the upper limit. If you are over that distance you don't get the option.

To repeat it is not your pole it belongs to the PEA and the meter and its placement are decided by the PEA for their convenience, not yours. It is also the responsibility or the PEA to ensure that the supply up to your house is up to the nessasory standard. Also that the install is OK before the final connection.

The reason you have to pay for the pole is the PEA's responsibility to install the minimum number of poles and cables to supply the area, if you want something that is not already there you need to pay for it.

Why do you feel that the other local users should pay for your supply wants? It is the people who pay, not some anonymous company

Incidentally he knew about the Ufer ground system and said the thoroughness of the final inspection would depend on who did the installation

Cable size for a 30A is a minimum of 25mm copper and in aluminium 35mm. The PEA supervisor said that if you use double insulated cable (the same kind that they use) that 16mm is acceptable.

Aluminium cable must be overhead, copper can be used overheard buried or clipped to a wall. If buried or clipped to a wall it must be in conduit. LDPE or HDPE is acceptable for the conduit.

Hi STWW

Thank you for your reply it is most informative ( the best comet so far)

I have had the power installed & my costs were the same as you though the distance was a lot further than yours

What sort of wood work do you do I have built 6 double beds & as many tables but would like to try turning I had many friends back in Aust. that did turning with great talent I hope I can do as good there is some great timber to work with

Kindness

Chook

Since this topic is along the same line as the situation I will be in here is my question. I need power to the coner of my lot. The last pole with power ends about 100M from my lot will they extend at their cost or will that be mine? And the last transformer from what I can see is 500M will they try and ding me for one of them too? Have have yet to talk to PEA but I think I know what they will say. Buck up...

Since this topic is along the same line as the situation I will be in here is my question. I need power to the coner of my lot. The last pole with power ends about 100M from my lot will they extend at their cost or will that be mine? And the last transformer from what I can see is 500M will they try and ding me for one of them too? Have have yet to talk to PEA but I think I know what they will say. Buck up...

Your cost. Will you need your own transformer? Over to the technically minded members...

I don't suppose that you noticed where the poles were located when you purchased the land did you ?

You paid for the pole to extend the line only; getting the power to you property is your responsibility and is common knowledge

You don't have to erect another pole on your side, you can always run the power underground, more expensive, but then you would not feel that you were being scammed for another pole

post-10942-0-38702200-1452833138_thumb.p

The end of the line and last pole is on a main road about the 100 M mark(last house connected) from my lot corner. I would be the last house to tie in as there are no other houses that far up the road. It would then require to cross that road after that 100M run. I do understand that I would need to provide a pole on my side unless like you suggest to run it underground.

As for a transformer I am not sure if its required. At current time not sure how many are tied into that last transformer. It is village located and there are a few Thai houses connected. So not a big demand. Till I tie into it. tongue.pngtongue.png

If you run it under the road pea would not like it cause they think that it may get dug up by accident & blow the transformer the cost would be about the same as overhead anyway chook

If you run it under the road pea would not like it cause they think that it may get dug up by accident & blow the transformer the cost would be about the same as overhead anyway chook

To go under the road you need to either own it, or get permission from the highways authority.

Underground would be significantly more expensive than overhead.

Archived