Strict Enforcement Of Duty Free Allowances

It's a method of ensuring the successful launch of TAT's New Tourism slogan for 2007.

If your wallet gets raped, it's likely to be an 'Unforgettable Thailand' experience.

Three cheers for TAT's innovative approach to decrease the number of travellers here.

I second that !

I can understand customs in any country, charging Taxes and even a fine of 100% for goods (cigarettes in this case) people bring in and didn't declare.

But in this case 35.000 Baht is outrageous for 5 cartons of cigs.

There has been a few stories now in the past few days about people bringing in goods and charged excessive amounts of money.

I recall the case of 5 English guys who brought 5 cartons each and had to pay Pounds Sterling 3.000,-- :D

What the heck is going on ?

Is there NO WAY this can be stopped ?

It stinks ! :D

And................it stinks because it 'looks like' a set-up between some Custom guys and 'some police-station' where these arrival-passengers are transported to..... :o

Someone has an idea to expose this ?

LaoPo

It's 100 cigs, = 100x£5 per packet in the UK =£500 not as outrageous as it sounds, cigs are cheap in Thailand ......why bother ?

• 4 years later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are Customs still going mad and inspecting bags for excess smokes like a couple of years ago? Haven't been back in LOS for some time, but last time they were pretty serious about it...Are the 'disposal' bins still chock-full of cartons (that will get destroyed, of course!)?

Buying cigarettes in Thailand from street vendors is cheaper than duty free.

But considering the country of origin, they probably thought they were getting a good deal.

You should have told them it's cheaper to buy everything in Thailand...

Rubbish. Cigarettes in the Middle East are substantially cheaper than Thailand, either from the airport or in regular shops outside. They also have a much better selection of international brands available.

They were criminals they were smuggling tobacco. Why is so many people think they can just come to Thailand and break the rules and because they are on holiday it is ok

ridiculous comment :bah:

Op stated family purchased 5 cartons Abhu Dabi, landing bangkok they would be allowed 4 cartons.

1 carton in excess does not make you a criminal.

Customs/excise guys could have confiscated 1 carton/fined them 1k baht or even let them through, these people were NOT smuggling cigarettes.

In such case the customs officers are the criminals.

They were criminals they were smuggling tobacco. Why is so many people think they can just come to Thailand and break the rules and because they are on holiday it is ok

ridiculous comment :bah:

Op stated family purchased 5 cartons Abhu Dabi, landing bangkok they would be allowed 4 cartons.

1 carton in excess does not make you a criminal.

Customs/excise guys could have confiscated 1 carton/fined them 1k baht or even let them through, these people were NOT smuggling cigarettes.

In such case the customs officers are the criminals.

Not necessarily a ridiculous comment, it depends on the age of the teenage children. If they were 13 they would not be entitled to a duty free allowance, that said a 35,000 Baht "fine" is excessive by anyones standards be it for one or three cartons over the top.

This thread is four years old.

Strict application of customs regulations would be a big big disaster.

Do you remember those signs saying that personal belongings of value superior to 10.000 baht must be declared and be paid VAT on?

10k baht? seriously?

My camera and the lenses alone are worth 90.000 baht. Then I have 2 computers, 3 phones...

This thread was resurrected to update visitors on the latest whims of fancy of the airport Customs people.

One month ago, my buddy came in carrying 4 boxes of cigars for me plus some other stuff including Dunkin Donuts coffee for another guy here.

He arrived from Singapore around 10am and the Customs chaps had the x-ray scanner on and were scanning EVERYONE's bags when they usually just pick on the odd Asiatic or obviously well-larded returning Thai punter.

They got all bent out of shape with the weight of the cigars being over the limit and insisted on including the box weight in their calcs. They wanted silly money to start with but my buddy (not a newbie) played the dumb tourist with only 150 bucks in his pocket. So, they took that and the Dunkin Donuts coffee and let all my cigars through. The 4 boxes cost around 500 bucks total in the US so Customs got their 30% 'tax' on those and a different brand of coffee for the office!

He's due back next week with my Christmas sack of goodies and he says he will loiter to see what green channel is mass x-raying or otherwise. This time he has no cigars but there's 4 lbs of Peets coffee for me!