Will Thailand buy Russian T-90 tanks?

webfact

Obsolete way of fighting an enemy with tanks ,they are still way too heavy and expensive to move and have a restricted elevation, would be far more dominate in a fight with cheap kamikaze drones that fly directly up the gun current and explode, how many drones could you buy for the cost of 10 tanks 240 million, i see them advertised for 22000 baht, lets see thats = a lot ,

Seriously. Who uses tanks in the 21st century?

Ask the Iraqis what they think of the Abrams battle tank. Takes a lot to kill them with the depleted uranium armour they have.

However, you have a point. I can't see tanks doing too well in Thailand's mountain ranges.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From EJ………..and if you think Asia is so peaceful, Thailand does not need to be able to defend itself against some of it's extremely dubious neighbors, you have missed every lesson history has taught the rest of the world.

Oh gawd John; and you supposed to be an ex soldier boy an all. History and geography lessons obviously weren’t your strong subjects; or English spelling apparently.

Thailand’s enemies let me see now, Laos, they don't even have any roads, still waiting for the Chinese to build the railway to deliver their tanks. Cambodia, yes I can just see them getting a few main battle tanks up the cliff into Buri Ram; and they couldn’t even get them past all the unexploded bombs still littering the place. Malaysia, well it’s flat enough near parts of the border, but they don't have an army of half the size of Thailand and most of the border is certainly not tank country. The bad old Burmese then, yep Shan state army are still camped on the border, but getting the tanks up to Mai Hon Son would be very interesting, the drivers would get motion sickness and the tracks would be gorn ome. Karen Army of God perhaps?

So who does that leave, oh my, oh my only the Chinese, well they won’t need to bother invading cos your mates have already sold out to them.

The last time the Thai army actually had a decent fight (not counting a few border scraps with Cambodia over who collects the cash for the temple) they managed very well with bulldozers armoured with teak logs.

The only reason they need new tanks (apart from boosting some bank balances) is to give the conscripts something to do polishing them to keep their minds off the way they are being used to repress the country.

Obsolete way of fighting an enemy with tanks ,they are still way too heavy and expensive to move and have a restricted elevation, would be far more dominate in a fight with cheap kamikaze drones that fly directly up the gun current and explode, how many drones could you buy for the cost of 10 tanks 240 million, i see them advertised for 22000 baht, lets see thats = a lot ,

USA, Nato, Russia, China and India, to name but a few, between them they have over 40,000 of them - http://www.globalfirepower.com/armor-tanks-total.asp

Tanks are pretty useless in combat against Thailand's imaginary enemies, but extremely effective in intimidating and suppressing the populace.

Im not sure about that. Imagine if the T90 rocked up outside a certain courthouse in a trashy southern island and let rip with the big guns.( Best done during normal court hours.)

USA, Nato, Russia, China and India, to name but a few, between them they have over 40,000 of them - http://www.globalfirepower.com/armor-tanks-total.asp

Seems like drone strikes and armored SUVs are the new thang.

Russia makes great tanks. Why on earth does Thailand need tanks? Tanks are not defensive weapons and doctrine requires control of the sky before use. Might this money be better spent on education and water management (just to name a few things).

English John, or his wife, been writing again! Like him I am ex-forces and an engineer,LOL,so why doesn't he instruct the RTA in the proper way of tank warfare? I mean this would stop the red hoardes coming down from KK in their Isuzu's to rape BKK.Me personally I wait for my AA for not supprting the junta. Mind you he has a point,boots are needed on the ground but not nessacarily with tank support!

English John, or his wife, been writing again! Like him I am ex-forces and an engineer,LOL,so why doesn't he instruct the RTA in the proper way of tank warfare? I mean this would stop the red hoardes coming down from KK in their Isuzu's to rape BKK.Me personally I wait for my AA for not supprting the junta. Mind you he has a point,boots are needed on the ground but not nessacarily with tank support!

How about Russia, China, USA, UK, Canada NATO, almost every country in the EU. Many countries in South America, Iraq, Iran and most countries in the Middle East.

That should be enough to keep you going for a while, and if you want more then do some internet research yourself instead of making stupid statements.

How about Russia, China, USA, UK, Canada NATO, almost every country in the EU. Many countries in South America, Iraq, Iran and most countries in the Middle East.

That should be enough to keep you going for a while, and if you want more then do some internet research yourself instead of making stupid statements.

And how many use them effectively in typical Thai terrain? Why don't you follow the thread and post something useful about the use of tanks in Thailand if you are a tank expert instead of making stupid repetative statements?

I wonder which country is more important to the Thai tourist industry, Ukraine or Russia? Oh wait, I think I know!

Neither. In case you haven't been around for the past year, the Russian presence fell off a cliff. Something about oil prices, economic sanctions and a deteriorating economy.

The Taliban demonstrated that tanks were not very effective when IEDs were deployed. Where exactly are these tanks to be used? In the battle for Chiang Mai? Hasn't the carnage and destruction of Damascus demonstrated the uselessness of a tank iin an urban area?

Tanks are pretty useless in combat against Thailand's imaginary enemies, but extremely effective in intimidating and suppressing the populace.

And you got the likes from your gang

utterly ridiculous post a biased comment from this minority of TVF members.

70% of the population in rural areas -and you believe the army will intimidate them if they bought tanks.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif --the Thai people fear the police NOT the army.

And Thailand is none of those nations.