Getting Tourist-Visa where?

Where is best place in neighboring countries to get a tourist visa? Friend, with EU passport has used up his first one that was issued in his home country and would like to stay another 2 months. Cambodia or Laos? Any ideas about present requirements? Clean passport, no visa-runs or back-to back stamps.Thanks all. MS>

Laos or Penang.

He will need no more than when applying for the first visa

Actually he might need less since he got it somewhere in Europe.

All that is needed is his passport and a application form with photos attached.

Vientienne or Savanakhet will issue.

As said application form and photos needed.

When I crossed at Vientiane last week the Loas immigration officer charged me 2000 baht or $55.00 US so if possible use US $$ for your Laos visa. The price shown on the window indicates visa $42.00 US.

Got one in Vientiane a couple of weeks ago. Some notes:

1 - Pretty crowded there on Mondays, but it's a pretty well-oiled operation and once they get started moves quickly. (I actually went on a Monday, because had a very cheap flt up fm BKK Sat'y night. Immigration at VTE was very quick then.)

2 - Don't bother with the embassy's online appn form. They have a new version and will insist you use it.

3 - Their queue is actually the seating area. Many won't know what's going on, but just get a seat, or get in line to get one starting in the back, and you'll see.

4 - You'll need a copy of your Lao entry visa and stamp as well as the data pages from your pp. Copy svc avail there for 10THB.

5 - Turn in your stuff morning of the 1st day; you'll get a receipt and queue slip. Pay & pick- up beginning 1330 the next day - they'll go by the queue no. you got the 1st day.

6 - You're headed for the Consular Services Section, which is NOT co-located with the actual Thai Embassy. Google Maps will get you there. (Tuk-tuks everywhere, but they're kind of bloodthirsty.)

Edited by hawker9000
  • Like 1

Is there a limit on how many times Thai embassies - say in Vientianne or Penang - would issue a 60 days visa within one year? Thing is, I had a

- 60 days tourist visa just last autumn, then a

- 30 days extension from Bangkok immigration, and then a border run (weekend flight to KL) that gave me another

- 30 days visa on arrival.

- Now I'd like to get another 60 days tourist visa.

Could I possibly get stuck outside of Thailand because of too many 30 and 60 days visas? (I'm western European)

The Thai embassy of Penang as well as Vientianne are holding information in Thai language. As for requirements, Google translator provides: "Supporting documents for tourist visa and travel plans. Financial Statements And evidence to back up the tickets and accommodation."

They didn't ask for those papers when I got the last 60 days tourist visa a few months ago. Flight tickets back home to Europe and hotel bookings in Thailand might become a problem for me as I simply don't have it ;-)

Thank you.

Edited by ChangBKK

Is there a limit on how many times Thai embassies - say in Vientianne or Penang - would issue a 60 days visa within one year? Thing is, I had a

- 60 days tourist visa just last autumn, then a

- 30 days extension from Bangkok immigration, and then a border run (weekend flight to KL) that gave me another

- 30 days visa on arrival.

- Now I'd like to get another 60 days tourist visa.

Could I possibly get stuck outside of Thailand because of too many 30 and 60 days visas? (I'm western European)

The Thai embassy of Penang as well as Vientianne are holding information in Thai language. As for requirements, Google translator provides: "Supporting documents for tourist visa and travel plans. Financial Statements And evidence to back up the tickets and accommodation."

They didn't ask for those papers when I got the last 60 days tourist visa a few months ago. Flight tickets back home to Europe and hotel bookings in Thailand might become a problem for me as I simply don't have it ;-)

Thank you.

They only count tourist visas issued by them. You will have no problem getting a tourist visa from Vientiane or Penang.

You will not need anything more than your passport and a application form with photos attached to get the visa. They will not ask for anything more.

You got a 30 day visa exempt entry not a visa on arrival. You could extend that entry for 30 days at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

They only count tourist visas issued by them. You will have no problem getting a tourist visa from Vientiane or Penang.

You will not need anything more than your passport and a application form with photos attached to get the visa. They will not ask for anything more.

You got a 30 day visa exempt entry not a visa on arrival. You could extend that entry for 30 days at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

Wow! Thank you very much for the sound and reassuring information, ubonjoe! I'll try both options (one after another) :-)

Well put Hawker9000.

Especially the queueing system. Lots of people don't get it and stand around being polite and NOT bagging a seat or wandering off to have a smoke. They end up with ticket #600+. This slows you up the day you go to get the passport back.

Also, Google maps totally confused me coz it is not the Embassy as you rightly state. The TukTuk guys know where you mean though when you say Thai Embassy.

By the way, they have put in more seats than before. There is seating for around 300 now, only one more thing to add.......get Mozzie repellant the place is moving with them.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Simple. Don't take expensive crap bus ride to places like Vientiane. Get cheap flight to somewhere like hcmc. Just did it ....'under 1800baht return. Either come back enter visa exempt or obtain setv. Cheap place to visit. Yes requires visa but very cheap place for his needs.

I would come back visa exempt stamp

Edited by jacksam

Is Penang still ok for a third tourist visa?

Thanks.

I am uncertain what their current policy is. At one time they refused more than two back to back SETV's particularly if entries gained from those visas had been extended.

Hopefully someone with recent experience/knowledge will help.

Edited by sunnyjim5

Is Penang still ok for a third tourist visa?

Thanks.

Ok for visa but penang is serious s##t hole. Plenty of better options

Been there like 15 times already, I agree its not paradise on earth but for 48 hours its bearable. The food is ok...

Last year it was no problem but im waiting for confirmation from some one who got their third recently.

Edited by Kaalle