Source for quality oil in Bangkok

foodieontour

Bike: 2015 Ducati Diavel

In hot Bangkok traffic conditions, engine and oil overheat a lot. Due to that circumstances I was recommended to change oil every 5.000 km. I thought in the beginning that cannot be... but by now I see the merits.

I am fed up with the prices and low quality oil of my Ducati dealer (Vibhavadi). Therefore looking to buy the oil for my bike separately.

Stuff like this:

http://www.putoline.com/en/catalogue/engine-oils_four-stroke-engine-oils/477/nano-tech-4-15w-50/1985/

https://www.motul.com/th/en/products/oils-lubricants/300v-4t-factory-line-15w50?f[range]=21

https://www.motul.com/th/en/products/oils-lubricants/7100-4t-20w50

I found the Putoline distributor and see Motul everywhere (mostly for cars though).

Goal:

- Synthetic bike oil in the range of preferably 15W-50.

- 10W-50+, 20W-50+ would also work.

- 4 liter and 1 liter batches available... or refill of canisters

- nice would be: located in the South-East of BKK, the Putoline dealer is Lat Phrao which means one time completely through the city

Where do you get your oil for your big bikes?

Do you care about the quality? Synthetic or not? ...for my Scooter (Honda PCX150) I can't care less, just doing a change every few thousand km is doing well

There is a school of thought that viscosity modifiers - in engine oils with a large range of weights - are detrimental to engine life. Example - 10W30 is a 20 weight spread. 10W50 is a 40 weight spread, etc. Some agree - Some Don't. Good article here with explanation on VM - http://pceo.com/ViscosityModifierPart2.html

Edited by canthai55

Hi guys!

Thx for the quick replies...

As much as I am open for input, I did not want to start another, "why this kind of viscosity".

I am looking for a particular one - with a little flexibility: some full synthetic 15W-50 - why I mentioned Motul and Putline products and the range that works for me.

My request: I am looking for for tips where to buy the stuff in Bangkok.

Thx again

I use Shell advance in my stroker so I would use Shell Advance Ultra 4T which in theory should be available at your local Shell station. If not contact shell on their website. Given your chosen change frequency any extra longevity supposedly offered by others will be of little importance. It is 40 weight oil if that suits what the manual says?

With a bit more digging I found thiswhistling.gif

http://www.ducati.com/ducati_shell_advance_.do?urlBack=%252Fnews%252Findex.do%27

Just curious. What coolant mix does Ducati use? If 50/50 even going to 40/60 you might get a bit cooler or maybe more by reducing to 15/85 or 20/80. Have a read up on coolant ratios and cooling. Some ultralight guys use 15/85 and get much cooler running engines.

Edited by VocalNeal

Jump on Facebook and start searching the big bike accessories stores.

320sp

Kspeed

Etc

Did this...

1. Kspeed: they sell parts not oil. I found in one branch a few 1l bottles of cheap oil. And they told me it is for their own use.

2. 320sp: Is around the corner for me and my regular go-to shop. They sell oil but only in small quantities, means they have a few single bottle in the shelf.

A few days ago they had only only 2x 1l bottles of Motul 10W40 and not even the 7100 synthetic oil.

I was thinking of asking them to order the Motul 7100 15W-50 for me. As usual the challenge then is price... as Thai shops tend to get greedy when a farang asks for anything, in my experience it leads to hefty overcharging.

A shop that sells Motul in larger quantities in SE BKK would be nice a solution.

The Putoline shop in Ladphow (next to Dainese) is closed right now but would be my backup if I can't find anything else.

Edited by foodieontour

I use Shell advance in my stroker so I would use Shell Advance Ultra 4T which in theory should be available at your local Shell station. If not contact shell on their website. Given your chosen change frequency any extra longevity supposedly offered by others will be of little importance. It is 40 weight oil if that suits what the manual says?

With a bit more digging I found thiswhistling.gif

http://www.ducati.com/ducati_shell_advance_.do?urlBack=%252Fnews%252Findex.do%27

Just curious. What coolant mix does Ducati use? If 50/50 even going to 40/60 you might get a bit cooler or maybe more by reducing to 15/85 or 20/80. Have a read up on coolant ratios and cooling. Some ultralight guys use 15/85 and get much cooler running engines.

Ducati recommends 10W40 in Europe and 15W-50 in hot climates.

Their partner Shell produce a generally great 10W40 - that does not suits out need here in Thailand. That's why Ducati TH uses a (no idea what brand and shitty quality) 10W-50.

All Shell stations I stopped by in the city do not sell Motorbike Oil.. only for cars. General thing it seems.

The situation in Bangkok is annoying in terms of service:

- If you run a scooter, there countless places to get oil and a change for free (my PCX is a breeze in that regard)

- If you run a Honda or Kawa big bike you get oil and support at every corner

- If you run a Ducati or a BMW you must have money, go to the dealer and let them rip you off... we wont even touch your bike, damn we would not even posses the necessary stand for it

You might be in luck with Petronas Syntium Moto 4SP 10W-50. Try your nearest Petronas station.

PETRONAS INTERNATIONAL MARKETING (THAILAND) CO.,LTD.

Address: 191/13 Level 29 CTI Tower, Ratchadapisek Road, Klongtoey, Bangkok 10110

Tel: 02-661-8156-9 #401

Fax: 02-661-8160

CTI Tower is near Soi 16 and Queen Sirikit Park. I'd fess up with helmet and explain your dilemma. But I live closer.:-)

Only took me an hour and a half to come this farwhistling.gif

Edited by VocalNeal

You might be in luck with Petronas Syntium Moto 4SP 10W-50. Try your nearest Petronas station.
Address: 191/13 Level 29 CTI Tower, Ratchadapisek Road, Klongtoey, Bangkok 10110
CTI Tower is near Soi 16 and Queen Sirikit Park. I'd fess up with helmet and explain your dilemma. But I live closer.:-)

Thanks mate!

I will check that out. Actually that might be a great alternative to what I did...

... so since I am a bit short on time I went today to my backup plan and drove over an hour to Ladphow (and back nearly two in rush hour)... not hot at all... nooooo...

I picked up 4L + 1L of Putoline Nanotech 15W-50 for around 3.5k THB. Good stuff but autsch, pricey. That will not be a solution I'd love to do every 5 to 7 thousand km.

Therefore all great (long term) solutions are very welcome.

The "Petronas Syntium Moto 4SP 10W-50" is from Malaysia I would assume and hopefully cheaper than the imported EU stuff.

I get mine from the shop next to Dainese on Pradist Manudharm Road (between Central Eastville and Honda BigWing). Good quality fully synthetic oil in there.

There's 3 bike related shops next to each other there. Dainese, a helmet shop and one other shop. It's the other shop. Also good for brake fluid, chain lube etc.

Edited by JonnyF

I get mine from the shop next to Dainese on Pradist Manudharm Road (between Central Eastville and Honda BigWing). Good quality fully synthetic oil in there.

There's 3 bike related shops next to each other there. Dainese, a helmet shop and one other shop. It's the other shop. Also good for brake fluid, chain lube etc.

That is the one I went yesterday. Luckily they open opened up again after a few days closed. post-200630-14522421726046_thumb.jpg

I'm still looking for an alternative. It is far away for me and the price of 720 THB per liter is quite high in my opinion.

Go and see this guy

https://goo.gl/maps/Ucjf4zmeMps

Name is Nan, runs a shop on Thanon Pho Kaeo, which you can access off Namamin Road or Lad Phrao 101

He services Ducatis - He will be able to do oil changes for you and tell you where to buy oil

Great tip. Thanks!

I saved the location in my maps. Does he speak english?

Is it a shop where you just go or should I call first?

That is the one I went yesterday. Luckily they open opened up again after a few days closed. attachicon.gif1452242171644.jpg

I'm still looking for an alternative. It is far away for me and the price of 720 THB per liter is quite high in my opinion.

That's the oil I bought as well. It's expensive due to the fact it's Putoline Nano Tech, not really due to the shop you bought it in. It's just expensive oil, but excellent quality IMO. My gsxr ran fantastically well with that stuff in it. See how you go with it, you might decide it's worth the extra.

Thanks mate!

I will check that out. Actually that might be a great alternative to what I did...

... so since I am a bit short on time I went today to my backup plan and drove over an hour to Ladphow (and back nearly two in rush hour)... not hot at all... nooooo...

I picked up 4L + 1L of Putoline Nanotech 15W-50 for around 3.5k THB. Good stuff but autsch, pricey. That will not be a solution I'd love to do every 5 to 7 thousand km.

Therefore all great (long term) solutions are very welcome.

The "Petronas Syntium Moto 4SP 10W-50" is from Malaysia I would assume and hopefully cheaper than the imported EU stuff.

Best time to go is afternoon - he ain't an early bird.

Nan, the owner doesn't speak much English, but there is a young guy in the shop who speaks English well enough.

This shop has many years experience of servicing Ducatis, so you should have no problems.

Yikes ! That works out to almost $30.00 per liter. Excellent quality oil is available at a fraction of this cost.

sells SBS brake pads too, great pads and not expensive

Yikes ! That works out to almost $30.00 per liter. Excellent quality oil is available at a fraction of this cost.

Out of interest, what do you use?

An oil change using Putoline Nano Tech fully synthetic will cost around 2500 baht in oil, on a (almost) million baht bike. My GSXR ran noticeably cooler and the gear changes were silky smooth with this oil. I don't think it's worth saving a fraction of 2500 baht on oil changes on such an expensive bike. Of course I'll use whatever happens to be on the shelf at the time on scooters etc.

Edit ; PS 720 baht is 20 USD not 30.

Edited by JonnyF

Was not quoting US dollars. The rate is around $25 Canadian now,

Ok maybe better specify if you're Australian, Canadian etc.

So what fully synthetic are you buying so cheap in bangkok?

An oil change using Putoline Nano Tech fully synthetic will cost around 2500 baht in oil, on a (almost) million baht bike. My GSXR ran noticeably cooler and the gear changes were silky smooth with this oil. I don't think it's worth saving a fraction of 2500 baht on oil changes on such an expensive bike. Of course I'll use whatever happens to be on the shelf at the time on scooters etc.

The Nanotech I bought is 720 THB per liter. Not sure if the 4L bottle is not cheaper. That is a significant price when taking into account that you have to change the oil in Thailand around every 7000 km whereas in Europe you would do it every 12-15000 km. On top I have to calculate an oil filter and the high charges of Ducati for the service. That adds up to nearly 5k THB.

Otherwise I agree with you. The setup I'm driving was over a million and sure, cheaping out on service does not make much sense. But I'm still convinced it should be possible to find a quality oil for around 400 THB per liter.

The Nanotech I bought is 720 THB per liter. Not sure if the 4L bottle is not cheaper. That is a significant price when taking into account that you have to change the oil in Thailand around every 7000 km whereas in Europe you would do it every 12-15000 km. On top I have to calculate an oil filter and the high charges of Ducati for the service. That adds up to nearly 5k THB.

Otherwise I agree with you. The setup I'm driving was over a million and sure, cheaping out on service does not make much sense. But I'm still convinced it should be possible to find a quality oil for around 400 THB per liter.

The filter and labour costs the same no matter what oil you use. Just buy the best oil you can.

Oil changes everywhere other than Thailand are 12,000 kms intervals for modern Ducatis. For some reason in Thailand they halve the service kms to 6,000 kms, not sure why but I guess because the heat and dirty conditions are not friendly to engines. However, these additional service intervals do not affect warranty so you can do them yourself i.e. No labour cost. Personally I like the extra service interval as I like to change oil frequently, it's cheap insurance against wear and tear.

But whether you do it at 6000 or 12000, if you're trying to save a percentage of 2500 baht then I think you probably bought the wrong bike. If you save 1000 baht every 6000 kms you have to be doing some pretty serious kms before that makes a dent on the cost of ownership of a Diavel compared to depreciation, insurance, tyres, fuel etc.