Netflix - streaming from outside Thailand

phetphet

Yes in the daytime in was fine, but now .... 11pm ... nowhere near hd but I managed the buffering by putting it on Auto. But only sd. Btw with the last part of your remark .. you must be a real expert ... 555 .. if you think downloading shows on private torrents are dodgy, I assume you don't know the difference between hd and sd.

I laughed out loud at your last sentence :-)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been watching Netflix for months through my VPN. Just checked without VPN and can confirm, it now works in Thailand. all shows are exactly the same and I can even continue watching shows where I last left off. This is good news. I was going to get one of those boxes 5000 baht can watch any channel in the world including all sport channels, racing, movies etc. Was even surprised that even the latest cinema movies are available on these boxes. Anyone had any experience with these?

Are you sure all shows are the same? Even in the quick look I had I realised there was stuff missing compared to both the US and UK versions.
555 no way ... it's only a fraction what you get from your US account and it's more expensive. Now watching but buffers every minute and poor quality. Not close to hd. I think I stick to downloading.

Netflix streams perfectly no buffering and HD where I am in Bangkok. And no need to spend hours online and downloading dodgy copies of shows.

I am having no problems at all, all smooth streaming. I haven't looked through the entire program list however all the shows I watch are still there, maybe i am wrong. If you already have an account would this mean you are still logged into that overseas account or would that now change to the the Thai netflix? Could this be the difference people are having?

So... no 4k contents so far? I have no problem streaming 4k contents from youtube on 15 mb 3BB connection.

Not that I can see.... If I VPN to the US site, I get it, without VPN the best I get is some high bitrate (8-10mbps) 1080P.

Let's hope that changes soon, seeing as I'm paying extra for 4 connections + "Ultra HD"

Note: I see up to 25mbps used by the US 4K streams - it's a lot less lossy than YT 4K.

Edited by IMHO

Yes in the daytime in was fine, but now .... 11pm ... nowhere near hd but I managed the buffering by putting it on Auto. But only sd. Btw with the last part of your remark .. you must be a real expert ... 555 .. if you think downloading shows on private torrents are dodgy, I assume you don't know the difference between hd and sd.

That's just your ISP I guess - we were watching two 1080P streams simultaneously last night up until about 11:30PM. One on a 65" screen, the other on a 120" projector system - i.e. both are setups where you really notice low bitrates/resolutions. Both had excellent PQ.

Been watching Netflix for months through my VPN. Just checked without VPN and can confirm, it now works in Thailand. all shows are exactly the same and I can even continue watching shows where I last left off. This is good news. I was going to get one of those boxes 5000 baht can watch any channel in the world including all sport channels, racing, movies etc. Was even surprised that even the latest cinema movies are available on these boxes. Anyone had any experience with these?

Are you sure all shows are the same? Even in the quick look I had I realised there was stuff missing compared to both the US and UK versions.
555 no way ... it's only a fraction what you get from your US account and it's more expensive. Now watching but buffers every minute and poor quality. Not close to hd. I think I stick to downloading.

Netflix streams perfectly no buffering and HD where I am in Bangkok. And no need to spend hours online and downloading dodgy copies of shows.

I am having no problems at all, all smooth streaming. I haven't looked through the entire program list however all the shows I watch are still there, maybe i am wrong. If you already have an account would this mean you are still logged into that overseas account or would that now change to the the Thai netflix? Could this be the difference people are having?

Where your account is based is irrelevant - you'll get the content based on where you're currently located (or appear to be, if you use a VPN etc). The Thai content is not the same as other countries, and never would be due to copyright issues that apply in different territories.

1080p or 4K streaming doesn't work for me. I have a 150mb corporate line. I guess 4K and 1080p isn't available in Thailand. I'm cancelling.

They are both available but 4k you need to pay extra. I am watching in 1080p.

I subscribed to the full package (4 TV's + Ultra HD) Definitely no 4K. It doesn't show the Ultra HD 4K icon in the program synopsis either.

But you get 1080 surely? I understand that 4k is only available for some shows.

Sorry to have to say this but those who criticise downloads, calling them "dodgy versions" etc obviously dont know what theyre talking about or theyre trying to fool themselves!

Right now I have perfect copies of just about every movie likely to be nominated for Oscars, about twenty in total, and every TV show I download is absolutely perfect in quality.

I know the situation could change in the future but right now there is absolutely no point in paying for netflix and risking buffering etc when everything you want to watch is available in just a few minutes by downloading!

And for those still "holier than thou" no, you dont watch them on a computer screen you have two choices, HDMI cable from computer to TV, or download the downloads onto a memory stick which fits into most modern screen TVs !!

Netflix? No thanks, no need, !!!

Sorry to have to say this but those who criticise downloads, calling them "dodgy versions" etc obviously dont know what theyre talking about or theyre trying to fool themselves!

Right now I have perfect copies of just about every movie likely to be nominated for Oscars, about twenty in total, and every TV show I download is absolutely perfect in quality.

I know the situation could change in the future but right now there is absolutely no point in paying for netflix and risking buffering etc when everything you want to watch is available in just a few minutes by downloading!

And for those still "holier than thou" no, you dont watch them on a computer screen you have two choices, HDMI cable from computer to TV, or download the downloads onto a memory stick which fits into most modern screen TVs !!

I just play them via Chromecast, the same as I do with Netflix. There's a place for both in my opinion.

More expensive how? Appears to be about as close to the same price as possible allowing for exchange rate variations.

BASIC STANDARD PREMIUM
$7.99 $9.99 $11.99
B280 B350 B420

Netflix u sit down and can chose what u want to watch right there then. Downloading you need to think the day before or much earlier-what do I want to watch tomorrow? it takes time to download.

Also no buffering at all for Netflix in Bangkok at least.

And finally Netflix is @300 baht per month- hardly a crippling financial burden :-)

I notice people who mastered and regularly download via torrents are coming across as rather annoyed that they have invested time and energy into all this downloading and now everyone can get better quality and quicker shows via Netflix with none of the time and hassle of illegal downloads.

Be happy not resentful!

I notice people who mastered and regularly download via torrents are coming across as rather annoyed that they have invested time and energy into all this downloading and now everyone can get better quality and quicker shows via Netflix with none of the time and hassle of illegal downloads.

Be happy not resentful!

Not necessarily. Some of us happily do both.

Right now I have perfect copies of just about every movie likely to be nominated for Oscars, about twenty in total

LOL. Perfect? They're DVD Screeners. Hardly perfect.

For me anything less than a 1080p 8Gb file size rip won't be played on my TV. I'm an HD snob, soon to be a 4K snob.

4k is just for people who're impressed by numbers. Unless you have a ridiculously sized display, or you sit a couple of feet from it, you won't be able to tell the difference.

Right now I have perfect copies of just about every movie likely to be nominated for Oscars, about twenty in total

For me anything less than a 1080p 8Gb file size rip won't be played on my TV. I'm an HD snob, soon to be a 4K snob.

4k is just for people who're impressed by numbers. Unless you have a ridiculously sized display, or you sit a couple of feet from it, you won't be able to tell the difference.

I have an 84" 4K screen which I sit 5 feet away from. I'm very impressed by 4K - and that's very much compressed youtube quality 4K.

It's pretty much a similar step up from DVD quality to HD.

I subscribed to the full package (4 TV's + Ultra HD) Definitely no 4K. It doesn't show the Ultra HD 4K icon in the program synopsis either.

Did you go into your account settings > playback settings and choose High?

Are you using a browser (Safari, Explorer or Edge on) or device that supports 1080P?

I have an 84" 4K screen which I sit 5 feet away from. I'm very impressed by 4K - and that's very much compressed youtube quality 4K.

It's pretty much a similar step up from DVD quality to HD.

Yep, I have a small 49" 4K display, and a reasonably large 120" 4K projector. The difference between 1080P and 2160P on the both is clearly visible - not just the big one.

Did you go into your account settings > playback settings and choose High?

Are you using a browser (Safari, Explorer or Edge on) or device that supports 1080P?

Yes, tried all that, expect the browser. I was using firefox. My device is a high end gaming PC, so no problem there. I wonder if it's the browser?

Be happy not resentful!

Netflix isn't a "magic bullet" for video, like Spotify and Deezer are for music... On Netflix content is old and limited - not up to date and comprehensive like music streamers.

I can see plenty of use-cases for the torrenters to keep on torrenting ;)

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="IMHO" data-cid="10283767" data-time="1452222755"><p><p><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="justinfreidman" data-cid="10283728" data-time="1452222253"><p> <blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="SoiBiker" data-cid="10283695" data-time="1452221939"><p> <blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="justinfreidman" data-cid="10283633" data-time="1452221200">There are limits to human visual acuity. Even with perfect 20:20 vision, you need to be sitting pretty close to a 49 inch screen to tell the difference between 1080p and 4k.I don't expect everyone to agree - people are capable of convincing themselves of all kinds of things, especially to justify a purchase. But the numbers don't lie.

I'm with you. I have zero interest in sub-par PQ... That's why I still have 5x Truveisions STB's - because outside of Netflix, all other IPTV solutions I've seen are super lossy 720P at best. Truevisions looks remarkably better than them all, even though it's only 1080i.

Netflix 108P PQ trumps them all - it's biggest let-down is the audio - you will still always need bluray's/rips if you want good multichannel sound ;)

Be happy not resentful!

I'm very happy downloading via other sources. Having seen the plethora of mind numbing junk on Netflix, I prefer more select choices found elsewhere, and for free.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="IMHO" data-cid="10283767" data-time="1452222755"><p><p><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="justinfreidman" data-cid="10283728" data-time="1452222253"><p> <blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="SoiBiker" data-cid="10283695" data-time="1452221939"><p> <blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="justinfreidman" data-cid="10283633" data-time="1452221200">There are limits to human visual acuity. Even with perfect 20:20 vision, you need to be sitting pretty close to a 49 inch screen to tell the difference between 1080p and 4k.I don't expect everyone to agree - people are capable of convincing themselves of all kinds of things, especially to justify a purchase. But the numbers don't lie.

I've heard all those arguments before, but there's simply no way you can argue with what you actually see....

After almost a year with 4K now, there's no convincing me I can't see the added detail.

I'm with this guy:

What's more, 4K naysayers (yes, there are some) who maintain viewers won't be able to see any differences are about to seem very foolish indeed.

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/why-netflix-in-ultra-hd-will-ruin-tv-1241142

And he only had a baby 65" screen ;)

Edited by IMHO