Doctor, Starbucks barista among dream jobs of Thai kids

snoop1130

Doctor, Starbucks barista among dream jobs of Thai kids
Coconuts Bangkok

kids_2.jpg
Children dressed at Pikachu at the 'Pokemon Together: Let’s Meet Pikachu' event on Children's Day last year. Photo: Watsamon Tri-yasakda/ Coconuts Bangkok

THAILAND -- Ahead of Children’s Day on Saturday, a group of Thai children were asked the classic question that we all still ask each other here in the office, “What do you want to be when you grow up?”

The top five occupations they chose were doctor, athlete, chef, engineer and teacher, according to human resource solution company Adecco Thailand.

But while doctor was the most popular choice, some of the kids also favored less traditional jobs such as “YouTuber” and Starbucks barista (wait until they find out how much that pays!).

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/01/06/doctor-starbucks-barista-among-dream-jobs-thai-kids

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-01-06

If the pay is so low, why do we pay first world prices for coffee?

When it comes to speciality coffee we can break it down like this.

Retail price for a latte coffee $3.75

Labour at shop $1.35

Rent,marketing, administration $1.29

Shop owner's profit $0.25

Cup and milk $0.47

Farmer's and growers share $0.035

When it comes to speciality coffee we can break it down like this.

Retail price for a latte coffee $3.75

Labour at shop $1.35

Rent,marketing, administration $1.29

Shop owner's profit $0.25

Cup and milk $0.47

Farmer's and growers share $0.035

And the proportion that goes to the tax avoiding blood sucker corporation with its neat offshoring arrangements?

Doesn't say much for a society and educational system whose kids want to be a coffee jockey.

I took a woman of poor background into the coffee shop of a Marriot hotel.

She looked around in admiration and said, wistfully, that if only she had been able to finish school, she would have been of a sufficient educational standard to get a job in such an establishment.

It was my first inkling of the poor education available to poor people, and the low aspirations that are bred into them.....as a matter of policy.

Because we are suckers..................................coffee1.gif

speak for yourself. never paid more than 55thb for a brilliant cappuccio (with free glass of water or green tea) in the last 6 years in thailand (before that never even paid more than 35thb). never EVER used starbucks in my entire life except to steal their wifi. 555.

I took a woman of poor background into the coffee shop of a Marriot hotel. She looked around in admiration and said, wistfully, that if only she had been able to finish school, she would have been of a sufficient educational standard to get a job in such an establishment. It was my first inkling of the poor education available to poor people, and the low aspirations that are bred into them.....as a matter of policy.

Reminds me of my Thai neighbour whose biggest dream was to defecate while in a plane.... (have toilet?!)

cheesy.gif

TIT, the best place on earth to cure chronic depression free of charge

clap2.gif

I took a woman of poor background into the coffee shop of a Marriot hotel. She looked around in admiration and said, wistfully, that if only she had been able to finish school, she would have been of a sufficient educational standard to get a job in such an establishment. It was my first inkling of the poor education available to poor people, and the low aspirations that are bred into them.....as a matter of policy.

Reminds me of my Thai neighbour whose biggest dream was to defecate while in a plane.... (have toilet?!)

cheesy.gif

TIT, the best place on earth to cure chronic depression free of charge

clap2.gif

He should be careful what he wishes for cheesy.gifcheesy.gif .

I once ate at the Pantip Plaza food court & had one of my favorites, Sai Krog Isaan and ate several chili peppers with it the day before I made a BKK-Tokyo-Chicago-Orlando trip.

I lived his dream over and over and over on that journey. clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

My dream for that journey was for bum-guns on airplanes.

Edited by jaywalker

In my day it used to be 'engine driver'. In Thailand, though, the trains keep falling off the tracks so that's a no.

Also popular used to be 'racing car driver' but most Thais already practice this anyway.

I think if I were a Thai child and asked that question, I'd think about the hours; a uniform; a gun; opportunities for extra-curricular payments: the choice is obvious - a policeman.