Oxygen masks drop down mid-flight, Mumbai-Bangkok Jet plane diverted

webfact

Oxygen masks drop down mid-flight, Mumbai-Bangkok Jet plane diverted
Soubhik Mitra, Hindustan Times, Mumbai

BANGKOK: -- A Jet Airways flight carrying around 270 passengers from Mumbai to Bangkok on Tuesday was diverted to Yangon after the cabin pressure fell mid-air.

The incident sparked off some panic on board as oxygen masks dropped down from the overhead cabins above every passenger’s seat.

According to the aviation safety regulator’s preliminary report, the aircraft experienced turbulence while cruising at 35,000 feet, approximately 470 nautical miles away from the Thai capital city. “The cockpit crew descended to 31,000 feet soon after the fall in pressure but a subsequent technical mid-air glitch made the flight risky,” said a senior air safety official with the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA).

Full story: http://www.hindustantimes.com/india/oxygen-masks-drop-down-mid-air-on-bangkok-bound-flight-plane-diverts/story-AhPkPFUhyvQl0RFQP55ezI.html

-- hindustantimes 2016-01-07

Joke.

How do you know when a professional pilot just walked into the room ?

Dont worry he'll soon tell you.

What's the difference between a pilot and his aircraft?

The aircraft stops whining when you switch the engines off!

"but a subsequent technical mid-air glitch made the flight risky,"

They dont want to talk more about that....

Jet Airways has as many of the Indian Airline companies been struggling with profitability for years so poor maintenance is likely, together with disgruntled and poorly trained staff a recipe to disaster.

"Mid Air Glitch" = Poor maintenance and Poorly Trained Crews.....there's the culprits....Professional pilot by the way.

You are right.I have noticed that the switch that drops the mast in the cabin located in the overhead panel above the light crew many times is not safety wired ( with simple breakaway copper wire) were not wired.May be one of the accidentally triggered it or the mast were not properly stored in their containers. The drop from 35,000 to 31,000 should not cause the mask drop.As you said" poor maintenance or crew error". From a study done every year it is found that 87 % of ALL aircraft accidents are caused by CREW ERROR.I have packed many of these mask and also have accidentally drooped said mask while trying to safety the damn switch.

Edited by sanukjim

A few years ago i was flying from bkk to london with EVA . I was asleep but awoken by the sound of alarms and lights flashing .The masks had dropped down and the 2 people next to me had theirs on but mine was tangled and had not dropped. Was a bit panicked but got mine down and on . Nobody had a clue what was going on .
After about 5 mins the captain announced that it was a false alarm caused by a fault and it had happened before . He was sorry no crew were there to tell us but they were on a break. The cabin crew being Asian were to small to put them back so the taller passengers were just cramming them back in and shutting the small door . They were all a bit tangled which is why mine never came down as it was probably not put back from the previous time.
Was scared for a while thinking the plane was going to crash

Jag, you must work in the airline business too. I flew in India for a year, quite an experience.

No, in fact I have never encountered any thing that has bothered me on any of my airline flights - even with Jet Air (who I found to be rather good from the passengers point of view), or Biman Bangladesh - whose DC10s were a bit like being airborne in a Glaswegian curry house on a Saturday night!

I was for many years a professional Infantry soldier. Later in my career I did a couple of jobs that were in the jargon "purple", ie involved tri-service staffs. Perhaps this left me with a slightly jaundiced view of military aviators...

I used to fly gliders for a hobby, but I don't like to talk about it...smile.png

"but a subsequent technical mid-air glitch made the flight risky,"

They dont want to talk more about that....

Jet Airways has as many of the Indian Airline companies been struggling with profitability for years so poor maintenance is likely, together with disgruntled and poorly trained staff a recipe to disaster.

I must be stupid. I always understood a glitch was something that might be annoying, temporary and solvable, not something that would "make the flight risky."

From a study done every year it is found that 87 % of ALL aircraft accidents are caused by CREW ERROR.I have packed many of these mask and also have accidentally drooped said mask while trying to safety the damn switch.

Let's see, we have ground crew, cabin crew, flight crew (aka aircrew). So somewhere along the line I can see the odds being high. smile.png

Didn't they find a rat on one of Air India's flights last week . They were concerned because it may have chewed though vital wiring. Returned to Mumbi and all the passengers had to catch a nother flight from Murumbi to UK.

but a subsequent technical mid-air glitch made the flight risky

Uh huh... what glitch would that be? Wings dropping off? Toilet can't handle the poop?

More like an Instrument Problems in which it was reading a loss of Cabin Pressure, when it wasn't true.

The best solution to this problem is install 3 of them and in which 2 out of 3 Instruments must fail to be believed and to activate the Oxygen Masks. This is called "Redundancy".