UK Settlement Visa - So quick I thought it had been refused

I was speaking with an agent the other day about a visa for my girlfriend for the UK, she told me things had really 'tightened up' and it was becoming very difficult to obtain one ?

My problem is whilst I own a property in the UK it's rented out, I am 64 and have retired, I have more than sufficient funds in the bank? My Thai lady, 38 doesn't work, own a property etc so I didn't even bother to take it any further, I was looking at a Visitors Visa.

Edited by jamie2009

try the surinder singh route via ireland stay 3 months as a uk citizen will get a 5 year visa for asian spouse ect check it out you bypass uk immigration laws ie 18600uk salary or 62 k i the bank i am doing it now euro laws bypass uk laws and our women can work

try the surinder singh route via ireland stay 3 months as a uk citizen will get a 5 year visa for asian spouse ect check it out you bypass uk immigration laws ie 18600uk salary or 62 k i the bank i am doing it now euro laws bypass uk laws and our women can work

Not married and would have no intention of getting married so there arises a problem, only looking for a short term holiday visa ?

I was speaking with an agent the other day about a visa for my girlfriend for the UK, she told me things had really 'tightened up' and it was becoming very difficult to obtain one ?

My problem is whilst I own a property in the UK it's rented out, I am 64 and have retired, I have more than sufficient funds in the bank? My Thai lady, 38 doesn't work, own a property etc so I didn't even bother to take it any further, I was looking at a Visitors Visa.

My wife had a visitor visa rejected last year, having previously had one approved. Their reasons were all trivial and would have easily applied to the first one. So yes there does seem to be a tightening up going on, even though there is no official change, the must have been instructed to be more picky!!!

I don't agree with your agent, but she's the professional and I'm only an amateur.

If your girlfriend can satisfy the ECO that her proposed visit is genuine, affordable and that, on the balance of probabilities, she will leave the UK, then there's no earthly reason why a visa shouldn't be issued.

Do you live in Thailand or the UK? if you live together in Thailand and you own a house in the UK is rented out, it's reasonable to assume that your life is here in Thailand, if you can demonstrate that, and the affordability, then an application for a visa will in all likelihood be successful.

• Like 2

Yes, my wife's settlement visa was also approved within eight days and I too thought we had failed because it was quick. But no.

My advice is a contents page at the front of your application, dividing the application into sections with a coloured divider denoting the start of each section. That makes it very easy for the ECO to find stuff and it also helps prevent VFS people pulling stuff out because your contents page shows what you've submitted. It also works as a guide to make sure you've got all the relevant paperwork assembled.

I got the wife to put all the paperwork in order. That meant she knew what everything was, when she submitted the documents by herself at Trendy building.