Croatian man falls to death from Koh Samui waterfall

webfact

Croatian Man Falls to Death from Koh Samui Waterfall
By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee
Staff Reporter

14521518381452153255l.jpg
Khun Si waterfalls on Koh Samui, Surat Thani province

SAMUI — A Croatian man plunged 25 meters from a waterfall cliff to his death last night.

The 32-year-old man entered Thailand with his wife Danie Magan on Dec. 30 for their honeymoon. They reportedly visited Khun Si waterfall yesterday afternoon.

Magan, 26, told police via an interpreter that she and her husband were at the eighth stage of the waterfall, at a height of around 25 meters, when the man walked around to explore the area by himself.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1452151838

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-01-07

Man falls to his death at Koh Samui waterfall
Samui Times

Khun-SI-waterfall.jpg

KOH SAMUI -- Last night a Croatian tourist fell off a cliff to his death at a Koh Samui waterfall. Tom Laco was travelling in Thailand with his wife Danie as part of their honeymoon.

Yesterday afternoon the couple visited Khun Si waterfall.

The man’s Khun SI waterfallwife told police via interpreters that they had climbed to around 25 meters when he husband went off alone to explore.

Sometime later she heard something fall and hit the rocks below her, when she looked she saw it was her husband.

She immediately called for help among local residents who called the police, the police had to trek through thick jungle before abseiling down to recover the body.

Reports suggest the man died of a head injury, his body has been sent for autopsy and the Croatian Embassyhas been informed.

Tourist official have vowed to install warning signs at all dangerous attractions on the island.

Source: http://www.samuitimes.com/man-falls-to-his-death-at-koh-samui-waterfall/

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2016-01-07

I was there just 2 days ago. I was climbing up the waterfall myself and on my way down slipped and slided down a few meters.. it's a dangerous place if you start clibing there as the rocks are very slippery! Very unfortunate for the guy.

a man falls to his death and now they say they will put warning signs on all dangerous attractions they should already be in place another case of shutting the stable door when the horse has bolted.

No! its like biting monkeys or Mc Donalds coffee (beware contents hot) You cannot expect to post warning signs at every obvious danger point. Isn't necessary, just look at the pictures. Danger of falls??? People have to take responsibility for themselves. I am sorry he slipped and died, and even more so for his young wife, but Thailand, Thai people, the waterfall itself are not to be blamed for this accident.

a man falls to his death and now they say they will put warning signs on all dangerous attractions they should already be in place another case of shutting the stable door when the horse has bolted.

No! its like biting monkeys or Mc Donalds coffee (beware contents hot) You cannot expect to post warning signs at every obvious danger point. Isn't necessary, just look at the pictures. Danger of falls??? People have to take responsibility for themselves. I am sorry he slipped and died, and even more so for his young wife, but Thailand, Thai people, the waterfall itself are not to be blamed for this accident.

100% correct. We must take some blame for our actions..... " Don't get in a Tuk tuk" sign plastered all over a tuk tuk ... Same thing.... And how many people fall from balconies in Thailand... Yet no signs saying "don't jump"

Sure... We can help the situation... Bold signs at the trail head saying. " steep and slippery, proceed at own risk" perhaps.... But then, in LOS, everything seems to be a risk... So let's put it in travel brouchures and on the backs of airplane seating.... People... It's a jungle out there... Take care!

Saying that in no way diminishes my feelings of regret and sympathy for this loss, but we cannot accept knee jerk reactions to every danger.

And if this waterfall is such a bad place to go... Ban it altogether.... Like I've banned the dog from playing with Cobras.

• 1 month later...

I was at Namuang 2 waterfalls the other day, huge signs saying Keep of rocks ... Do not climb, etc ..... but people ignore them anyway...

So posting signs is not helping those who run into trouble...

Wet rocks are very slippery and many people do not wear suitable foot ware for climbing anyway....

Sad way to go... but .....

I don't know the Khun Si waterfalls in Maenam, although I suspect it might be what is known as the Secret waterfalls, up Soi 5. where the zip line is.... (?) Going from the picture.... ???

Archived