Tourist visa - Yangon or Laos? (Burmese citizen - migrant worker)

Hi experts

Our nanny has been working here legally in Thailand for the past 6 years as part of the migrant labour scheme. Unfortunately the scheme was in some ways short sighted, so that visas couldn't be extended for more than 6 years. As such, her visa/work permit expires on the 13th of Jan.

She by no means is in a unique situation, there at least a couple of hundred thousand Burmese nationals in the same boat and probably another million or so who will eventually reach the 6 year limit.

I've seen reports that both Thai and Myanmar governments are meeting today and tomorrow to sort out a solution as to how to handle these people who will be effectively illegal as of Wednesday next week. While I am sure the governments may hammer out another stop gap solution, I'm wondering what can be done to tide her over visa wise in the interim.

I was thinking that one of the new tourist visas might be an option for her while we wait for the governments to figure out what to do next. Given she's from Karen state, she's agnostic about travelling to either Yangon (which she hardly knows) or Laos for a visa.

In terms of getting a visa, I am wondering however, which might be the 'easiest' place for her to get one so she can come back to Thailand (where she has a daughter) so she can bide he time while the new paperwork gets sorted out.

Can anyone give is a heads up as to the relative merits of Yangon vs Vientiane/Savannakhet for a tourist visa for a Myanmar national? She has a fully valid passport.

Edited by samran

The lady can only apply for an METV in her own country but would have to be able to meet the requirements which, I believe, include a substantial bank balance held for at least 6 months.

She may be able to obtain a single entry tourist visa at Vientiane, Savannakhet or Penang any other of the "local" Embassies/Consulates may prove difficult.

The lady can only apply for an METV in her own country but would have to be able to meet the requirements which, I believe, include a substantial bank balance held for at least 6 months.

She may be able to obtain a single entry tourist visa at Vientiane, Savannakhet or Penang any other of the "local" Embassies/Consulates may prove difficult.

Thanks.

In terms of financial requirements for a single entry tourist visa at Vientiane or Savannakhet - what are they?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks.

In terms of financial requirements for a single entry tourist visa at Vientiane or Savannakhet - what are they?

Appreciate your help.

None !

The visa fee would be 1000 Bht

• Like 1

She could a single entry tourist visa in Laos Just checked to confirm that Myanmar is not on the lest of countries that cannot get one.

She will get a free 14 day visa exempt[t entry for Laos.

Of course she could also get a tourist visa in Yangon.

She could a single entry tourist visa in Laos Just checked to confirm that Myanmar is not on the lest of countries that cannot get one.

She will get a free 14 day visa exempt[t entry for Laos.

Of course she could also get a tourist visa in Yangon.

Thanks. Doesnt appear to be so.

http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/pdf/RestrictedCountries2013.pdf

Is this visa a one day turnaround?