Extension of Stay for marriage - Separated

I have an extension of stay based on marriage - my wife has decided to go live with her sister (divorce pending). The extension is valid until 20th April what are my options ? please help.

Other info - I have a lifetime USEFRUCT on the house I am now in and have a Yellow TB ( just for info ) I am more concerned on the visa issue.

I have 450k in the bank and will be transferring another 450k on Monday

Edited by krobert6

Your extension of stay based on marriage is valid until you divorce.

Are you over 50 or have Thai children?

I am 61 and have no Thai children ( my wife has 2 from a previous relationship) I have been taking care of them for 4 years now

• If you divorce before April 20th you can go to immigration and apply for an extension of stay based on retirement if you can meet the financial requirements.

If still married you can apply within 30 days (45 at some offices) of the current extensions expiry date.

You will have the 800k baht needed for an extension based upon retirement and it will be in the bank long enough in April when your extension ends.

In a case like this does the money need to be in the bank for 2 or 3 months?

You will have the 800k baht needed for an extension based upon retirement and it will be in the bank long enough in April when your extension ends.

Normally they consider the first extension to be one for a new 90 day visa entry.

• Like 1

Normally they consider the first extension to be one for a new 90 day visa entry.

This will be my second extension so I assumed 3 months

would be the requirement

Edited by krobert6

• If you divorce before April 20th you can go to immigration and apply for an extension of stay based on retirement if you can meet the financial requirements.
  • If still married you can apply within 30 days (45 at some offices) of the current extensions expiry date.

AFAIR if you are applying for a marriage extension your wife has to be present at Immigration with you. She may also be asked a few questions in Thai and you may also get a home visit from Immigration.

If your wife is divorcing from you she may not go to Immigration with you. If she doesn't then the extension will most probably not be granted.

If during a possible home visit your wife is not there or perhaps the neighbours are asked about your relationship you may have a problem.

• If still married you can apply within 30 days (45 at some offices) of the current extensions expiry date.

AFAIR if you are applying for a marriage extension your wife has to be present at Immigration with you. She may also be asked a few questions in Thai and you may also get a home visit from Immigration.

If your wife is divorcing from you she may not go to Immigration with you. If she doesn't then the extension will most probably not be granted.

If during a possible home visit your wife is not there or perhaps the neighbours are asked about your relationship you may have a problem.

I can't see anything saying he would be applying for an extension based upon marriage. It would for retirement in both cases.

The reference to still being married was because if he was divorced he would be applying for the retirement extension as soon as he got divorced.

• Like 1

I can't see anything saying he would be applying for an extension based upon marriage. It would for retirement in both cases.

The reference to still being married was because if he was divorced he would be applying for the retirement extension as soon as he got divorced.

Right ubonjoe - the extension would be retirement, I am not sure what questions will be asked as to why I want retirement extension this time though. The divorce may be easy or awkward - My wife says she does not want anything - I do have the usefruct and Yellow TB. She says when I want we can go to Amphor , but she does not understand the property settlement thing and does not want a lawyer

Right ubonjoe - the extension would be retirement, I am not sure what questions will be asked as to why I want retirement extension this time though. The divorce may be easy or awkward - My wife says she does not want anything - I do have the usefruct and Yellow TB. She says when I want we can go to Amphor , but she does not understand the property settlement thing and does not want a lawyer

They probably will not ask any questions. They normally are happy when a person goes from marriage to retirement because it is a little less work for them.

If you could time your divorce to coincide with your money being in the bank for 3 months there certainly would be no questions.

A lawyer is not really needed. If you both can agree on everything and put it on paper that will be all that is needed at the Amphoe.

You might want to look in the Marriage and divorce forum for some info.

• Like 1

They probably will not ask any questions. They normally are happy when a person goes from marriage to retirement because it is a little less work for them.

If you could time your divorce to coincide with your money being in the bank for 3 months there certainly would be no questions.

A lawyer is not really needed. If you both can agree on everything and put it on paper that will be all that is needed at the Amphoe.

You might want to look in the Marriage and divorce forum for some info.

Thanks again ubonjoe - you are the man

ok have transferred 800k more into my account a few days ago (13th Jan) my extension ends on the 15th April (not 20th as I stated before). Barring waiting out the 3 months if things go belly up and I end up divorced before then (which I do not think will happen) what would my visa options be ?

Your best option if the divorce was to happen early would be to go to Vientiane or Penang for a single entry non-o for being 50 or over. All you would need is your bankbook showing the 800k baht on the date your apply, Then apply for an extension during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa.

• Like 1

Hi Again - I do appreciate the assistance you have give me so far.

I am changing from marriage to retirement - I transferred funds into my account on the 13th January, my visa expires on the 15th April - I have just noticed that the offices are closed for Songran from the 13th to the15th April. So I cannot go on the 13th April when the funds have been there for the full 3 months I have to go on the 12th. Do I have a problem here ?

I am changing from marriage to retirement - I transferred funds into my account on the 13th January, my visa expires on the 15th April - I have just noticed that the offices are closed for Songran from the 13th to the15th April. So I cannot go on the 13th April when the funds have been there for the full 3 months I have to go on the 12th. Do I have a problem here ?

I don't know if you can apply on the 12th as it is the last day of the 3 months, however, as your extension expires (15th) when the office is closed you could, if necessary, apply on the next working day which would be Monday 18th.

I don't know if you can apply on the 12th as it is the last day of the 3 months, however, as your extension expires (15th) when the office is closed you could, if necessary, apply on the next working day which would be Monday 18th.

Thanks - and get a letter from the bank on the 18th ?